Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance & test drives - selling privately

Options
  • 16-01-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I've read a few magazine articles that say when selling privately I must insist on seeing proof that the potential buyer has insurance before letting them take the car for a spin. My own insurance covers me only.

The car is an '08 golf so I need to make sure I'm covered if anything happens while they're driving it. At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone I know being asked for proof they had insurance when they were buying privately.

How does this usually work? I know it might sound over cautious but I can't afford a hit if someone bumps it while they're trying it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

No way around it. The law states that you must have insurance to drive on a public road. If someone is interested in buying your car and since it is an 08, they will understand where your comming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

My understanding is :
    Lots of people that may come to view your car will be insured to drive any other car. BUT their insurance will only cover third party only. So if they drive it into a wall then you will not get anything and under law i dont think they would be liable to pay you anything either.

In order to be fully insured on a vehicle yo must do a temporary transfer of insurance. this can be done very quickly over the phone. your car will then be covered fully by their insurance if they already hold a comprehensive policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

In reality in this country, very few people even think about the test drivers insurance and just let them drive the car anyway. I know I have never been asked for proof of insurance when test driving a car in this country or the UK, but to be honest they were not high value cars.

It may have been different in a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

This happened to a cousin of mine. Young lad test drove his car and wrote it off by hitting a small bridge. Young fella had no insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

At the end of the day, your selling your car to get money in, or funds towards a new car. If you think about it it's your money. If someone crashed it with no insurance you are fooked. It's simple, with that kind of car, if they have no insurance, tough ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No way around it. The law states that you must have insurance to drive on a public road. If someone is interested in buying your car and since it is an 08, they will understand where your comming from.

maybe. But will they want to pay money for temp transfer, for, say, a 15 minute spin? Esp if they then have to transfer it back, just so they can go home ?

Can't see it happening, tbh..........

OP - your insurance might cover them, but you need to check your cover. If it's 'open drive' then, you'd be covered. If there's a clause about driving with the owner's consent (yours), you'd be alright.

A bit messy though, tbh......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A lot of companies don't do "open drive" policies anymore and if they do there are strict restrictions as to who can drive the car (i.e. sometimes they have to be between 25-70 with a full license).

They may have "driving of other cars" on their policy but as another poster stated it will be third party only, which means if they crashed your car then any damage done to your vehicle will not be covered.

You're much better off getting them to transfer their insurance onto your car, better still, if you can ring the insurance company yourself to make sure they're covered because you can never be too sure. Some insurance companies let you do temporary transfers for free, some don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jbrst wrote: »
    I've read a few magazine articles that say when selling privately I must insist on seeing proof that the potential buyer has insurance before letting them take the car for a spin. My own insurance covers me only.

The car is an '08 golf so I need to make sure I'm covered if anything happens while they're driving it. At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone I know being asked for proof they had insurance when they were buying privately.

How does this usually work? I know it might sound over cautious but I can't afford a hit if someone bumps it while they're trying it out.

If your really worried just drive them around yourself. As others have said if they are driving on the driving other cars extentsion of their policy it's TPO and I doubt many people would be willing to leave their own car uninsured to transfer their cover to your car for 20 min. It's a 08 car and there can't be that much wrong with it that won't be covered by warrenty or that you'd notice even sitting in the passenger seat.

If all else fails bring them for a spin to a big empty car park and let them do quick test there but not on the open road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

galwaytt wrote: »
    maybe. But will they want to pay money for temp transfer, for, say, a 15 minute spin? Esp if they then have to transfer it back, just so they can go home ?

If i came to drive your Porsche, i've open drive but it's third party on other cars. Would you leave me drive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Del2005 wrote: »
    If all else fails bring them for a spin to a big empty car park and let them do quick test there but not on the open road.
    A friend of mine has done that, drove the car around town himself (and drove it hard) with the prospective buyer in the passenger seat and then up to one of the factory carparks outside Galway (was a Sunday) where they swapped seats and he let the guy drive around there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also remember that you should check their licence also.
    You are responsible for any points accrued unless you can account for who was driving the car (by taking their licence details including number).
    Also you are legally bound to ensure that they are of driving age when selling - apparently this did not somehow occur in this case and the seller is now in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the motors world it's not only a case of let the buyer beware, it's let the seller beware also!

Advertisement