Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal attack or not??

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Looking for some clarifcation guy - the Sligo/NW forum charter states - "attack the post not the poster"

So are either or both of these a personal attack

"You are an idiot"

"Your posts are becoming idiotic"

thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

"You are an idiot"

That is personal abuse.
    "Your posts are becoming idiotic"

Also insulting.
    That is a comment someone would use when they don't know how to articulate themselves properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That is personal abuse.

Also insulting.
    That is a comment someone would use when they don't know how to articulate themselves properly.

How about " "the contents of your posts become more idiotic by the day""

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What is this about slapbangwhallop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Beruthiel wrote: »
    What is this about slapbangwhallop?

I was coming to that but wanted peoples opinions before I got into the mucky "he said, she said" detail and the inevitable knock back.

But since you ask, I was just trying to find the line about what is attacking a post and what is personal abuse.

I got an infraction and week ban for that latter statement.

No fair in my opinion and I had thought I following the "attack the post not the poster" adage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No fair in my opinion and I had thought I following the "attack the post not the poster" adage.
    "Attack the post" is a simplistic phrase that sometimes gets misinterpreted. You can discuss a post or even belittle the idea contained in a post (if that's your bag) without actually attacking the post. Or the poster.

A statement like "the contents of your posts become more idiotic by the day" is just as much an attack on the maker of the posts as it is the posts. I suggest making your case against whatever you're arguing against in a different way. With a simple semantic change, it can truly be a listing of the ideas which are getting worse and worse (which is what you presumably wanted to do) rather than a user-attack.

I'd have given an infraction at the very least for any of the statements you've listed. The one possible exception might be where the statement was part of a much larger post that actually discussed the previous posts but that's something I'd judge by context and only in a forum where I was making the decison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement