Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Prices

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Is the cost of electricity going to come down at all ? especially with the current fuel prices. Just got the bill in this morning and was looking back to this time last year, roughly the same amount of units on todays bill as a year ago and it's increased nearly €100 :eek:.

It's about time the cost of living in this country dropped, especially giving the times we're in now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I think the price of electricity rose just recently, I got a bill yesterday and there were two tarriffs 15.9c and 16.4c +vat. Given the huge drop in oil prices ( to 2004 levels) a substantial drop is in order. However a recent press release from the CER stated that prices are likely to remain at this level till October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's supposed to be a 1% reduction on the way.

You must have a huge bill for a €100 increase in the last year on a 2 month bill. What kind of Units are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

ESB bills went up 2.1% in January. What i found very misleading was the leaflet enclosed showing a price reduction of .6%. seems to me they were making a big deal of the .6% drop while trying to hide the 2.1% increase.

It will be October before Electricity prices start to go down. Why the customer should be made pay for this companies inability to get in cheaper oil now the price has dropped is beyond me.

Yes I know they buy months ahead but surely some cheaper oil can be filtered through now to start dropping prices slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

alexmcred wrote: »
    Yes I know they buy months ahead but surely some cheaper oil can be filtered through now to start dropping prices slowly.

I think the way it works, is that they negotiate a fixed price, for the coming period (maybe 6 or 12 months, not sure), and this is the price they pay for everything they get in that period. If the price rises, then it's great, when the price drops though, they are paying more. Same as the way the airlines negotiate a price.

They should have been able to negotiate a better price though, since the price was high, and there were predictions of it dropping (which it had to really). It's not fair that we have to pick up the tab for this. It's just like the banks again. Business can do whatever they want, we'll pay for it, and they continue on, happy as Larry. The regulator is a joke too (just like every other regulator in this country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

jor el wrote: »
    The regulator is a joke too (just like every other regulator in this country).

I worked in a company (big gas company) that the regulator was involved in, everyone agreed that the prices were going so high was purely cos the regulator was so bad. They want to provide competition, that's it.
    Competition isn't the be all and end all of low prices. in the mid 90's esb had the lowest energy prices in europe. then the regulator got involved to "help" the consumer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

alexmcred wrote: »
    ESB bills went up 2.1% in January. What i found very misleading was the leaflet enclosed showing a price reduction of .6%. seems to me they were making a big deal of the .6% drop while trying to hide the 2.1% increase.

It will be October before Electricity prices start to go down. Why the customer should be made pay for this companies inability to get in cheaper oil now the price has dropped is beyond me.

Prices for their oil supplies were fixed months ago but don't lose sight of the full picture. There's more to price than fuel.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/1124/1227293467705.html

Advertisement