Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye Bye Ron.

• 16-01-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭

So Ron Dennis is finally stepping down, I was never a fan of his at all so I for one am not sorry to see him go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Good news for me also...never have been a huge fan!

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7833402.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He was so plain,no passion, I can see why Schumacher went to Ferrari over McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stever

I'll be kind of sad to see e back of him, you have to admire him for starting out as a mechanic so long ago and achieving so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Ron is the man.

Sad day now he's gone.

DC chances were lost because he was sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Starting as a mechanic he build quite an empire, Mclaren is more than just a F1 team. After all these years Ron Dennis is part of Formula 1, at least a very familiair face like Frank Williams and Patrick head to name a few. But people come and go, some stay round a bit longer than others. And after delivering a world champion he chose a perfect time to leave.

• Advertisement

So that makes him fourth best of the losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Best news so far this year. Alright yeah, he achieved a lot, so fair play to him but he's a complete and utter a**hole. He's always so bland, never straying from the corporate image and he makes all his drivers act the same. DC was a classic example-boring as sh*te while at McLaren, as soon as he went to Red Bull he started speaking out a bit, eg-melbourne last year he said he would kick the sh*t out of massa if he found him after they crashed. Can you imagine him saying that in his mcLaren days. No way, because Ron would have had him killed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Good riddance Knobhead :D
    Let see how good his toy-boy will perform this season without him :rolleyes:

As for Coulthard
    It was not 100% Rons fault that he failed.
    Hi simply did not shine
    If he had then he would have been chosen to be lead driver.:o

Ficus wrote: »
    No, david would never have been lead driver, as ron had a special place for mika in his heart after the adelaide accident, and subsequentially favoured mika in terms of new equipment and car design.

And going by Career points, does that not make him the most sucessful driver never to have won the drivers world championship?

I think you may be wrong there
    You are saying that had Coulthard outpaced Mika hands down race after race that ron would still have put him down??
    I think not.

As for career points?
    Does that mean massa was successful last season and Hamilton in 2007??
    Nope
    They failed
    as did Coulthard all through his overrated career.. :rolleyes:

Jasus i don't think i have ever seen the words "mega" and "pace" in the one sentance before referring to Coultard. Thank god he's out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

DC wasn't ****e, but he was not on the same level as drivers such as Mika H, Mark Webber...... He was almost always slower than is teammates

Actually, Coulthard says he his book that he has no doubt that he was given equal equipment, but Mika was treated much better, which I have no doubt was 100 % true, but there is no evedience that DC was quicker than Mika.

Look at his career
    Williams = Teammate faster
    McLaren = All Team mates faster
    Redbull = Year 1, faster than his rookie teammates, then much slower than his more expierenced teammate

I have nothing against DC. I think he is actually a bit of a legend regarding his playboy lifestyle, but he just that bit short of a top drawer driver

he is statistically the best driver never to have won the world championship.

And your point is?
    Are you saying he was the best loser? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Enough about the Scot!!!!!!!!!!!

Gintonious wrote: »
    Enough about the Scot!!!!!!!!!!!

Beam me up scotty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

DC was in by far the best cars on the grid while at Williams and then McLaren so of course he was goin to score points and win races. put the worst driver on the grid from those seasons in either of those cars and they too would score points because those cars were so good. i think it shows how average he was that he wasnt able to do more in those cars.

By that reasoning Vectra, a driver like Sterling Moss who didnt win the world championship is a loser??

Yes.
    Explain to us in simple english how you can imagine a loser is a winner? :confused:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yet more brilliant posting from Vectra, so if you dont win a WC in F1 your automatically a loser. So moss,brundle,palmer,Patrese,Boutsen, Barrichello all losers according to your logic. Doesnt matter that the like have won Lemans, world sports car championships, f3000 etc.

Probably the same way that Roy Keane or Ryan Giggs are losers because they never won a world cup medals (multiple FA cups, champion leagues and premership medals mean nothing).

If none of them reached the top step then they are losers
    You basically said in aonther thread that Schumacher was the "be all and end all" of F1 drivers

If you ever read through some of his statements after races that he came second in you will see he agrees with what I say.
    There is no second place.. "You are only the first loser"
    His words.. Not mine
    Go and contradict him next time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Got to love a bit of DC bashing:D

And no one has even mentioned the amount of accidents he had/caused.

He has to be top of that list

Nobody comes close to Sato though :)

Sato never killed anybody though...

DC must be the only driver ever to win LeMans driving for 24 hrs straight all on his own or wait did his quick team mates make up for his average pace?

Cookie monster their going to love you for that one.

• Advertisement

This must be the first in a long time that a discussion has lasted 3 pages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Scober11 wrote: »
    This must be the first in a long time that a discussion has lasted 3 pages?

This thread is like Coulthards last season,lasted a few corners then went off track and crashed.

Good pilot in his day IMO.

This thread is like Coulthards last season,lasted a few corners then went off track and crashed.

ROFL:D

You never know he may move to the old retirment home for F1 drivers, DTM and could clean up. Or maybe do a bit more endurance racing with brundle along side :)

Or follow Ralf Schumacher and become a total waste of time :D

They are looking for a new milkman around my way.

Scober11 wrote: »
    They are looking for a new milkman around my way.

Well he would have some hope of that job..
    No chance of bread delivery man

You would never get "Todays Bread Today" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Lets get back on topic. I will miss Ron. I don't really have a feeling one way or the other regarding him, but I admire what he has built at McLaren.

What I will miss about him are his interviews. He NEVER missed a chance to use a long complicated sentence to explain something that could be said in two simple words.

I remember a few years ago, itv-f1.com had an article in the gravel trap. They did a mock intervew with Ron. They asked him "So Ron, how is the new McLaren Technolohy Center progressing". The reply was "Our projected construction schedule is valiaded on a weekly basis and is currently meeting predefinied deadlines. Next week the optical component interfaces are being installed", which in English means. "Construction is on schedule and the windows are being installed next week" Even though Ron didn't actually say it, you can just imagine him doing so in that deep English accent. Priceless

Advertisement