Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths in UCC...would I be suitable?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Im currently in 6th year and I enjoy most aspects of maths for example..differetiation,integration,complex numbers and algebra. However while im not a complete disaster when it comes to geometry..you know..the line and the circle...i am no where near as competent as I am with paper 1. I also do physics and whilst I find it interesting I strugle with the maths in that too. i believe its down to my incompetence in 'visualising' mathematical problems. I am currently scoring around the A2 mark in maths(higher of course) and am capable of a B1 in higher physics as the comlex maths problems can be avoided given the excellent choice the paper offers. I just cant decide would my failings in 'visual maths' ruin my chances of succeeding in the maths course ucc offers or would my excellence in the other section of maths suffice....thanks anyone who can help I know this is a difficult one

Comments

College level maths is completely different from anything on the Leaving Cert. course. I'm in Leaving Cert. myself, but I do work through college text books on maths.

You really honestly have to enjoy maths. Just because you're good at Leaving Cert. level doesn't mean you enjoy it. Certain aspects of maths really have to amaze you: Certain identities, rules, it's constructs. If you love maths, it'll be a lot easier in college. Basically, as I've seen quoted numerous times myself, they say that one learns to be an engineer, a doctor, an architect - but you are born a mathematican. Have a look over on the maths forum; there are a few threads about the decision that you're trying to make.

As regards to the visual elements of maths. I'm sure you could choose modules around this "problem". I suppose most areas of maths require visualisation, be it pure or applied. Nobody can really answer your question until you do some college level maths, or until you do the course. I'm sure you can always learn to visualise maths more - I can't see that being a major problem. As long as you actually like maths, you'll find a way around it.

Nobody can really answer this question - you're just going to have to take a gamble and put it down. I'd re-post this question over in a thread on the maths forum if I was you. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do anyway.

Advertisement