Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Some Advice About Dog Training

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a Bichon Frise well its not mine its my mom's dog. I was looking for advice how to train this dog because my mom hits the dog on a regular basis and Im not talking about a smack on the butt im talking about whipping it im actully getting kicked out of my house because me and her argue so much about the dog and me questioning her "training methods" which are not working the dog does not listen to her at all! not one bit he gets hit more then 50x a day and still dont listen to her because all she does is hit him.... when he does something good he doesnt get a treat i feel so bad or this dog and i am not going to call the cops obviously cuz its my mom but the dog doesnt listen at all he is pretty bad but i still do not think hitting him his the answer

what should i do about this problem? she doesnt want to get rid of him so i dont know what to do she is not thinking about changing her "training method" my fear is this dog is going to die one day for getting hit so much any advice?

also thought i should say
    shes trying to train him to use the washroom on a disposable mat not outside
    the dog never goes for a walk always tied up or in some type of cage because she said he dont listen until he learns he cant be out
    he gets hit for using the washroom on the carpet
    he gets hit for not staying in his bed
    he gets hit for wanting to play
    he gets hit for trying to get free when locked or tied up
    he gets hit when he barks

im the only one who stands up for this dog he is so little and helpless then after she hits him he starts crying and barking loud and guess what he gets hit more for being like that i cant really do anything its my mom and im getting kicked out for standing up for the dog i guess its a price i have to pay but i think its wrong what shes doin i just need to try and show her the right way to train the dog

i really need advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What a horrible situation to be in. Unfortunately the issue is really that of your relationship with your mother, you know what she is doing is wrong, I'm sure she does too. There's no point in getting training advice if she is just going to ignore you.

Maybe if you sat down and tried to speak to her instead of fighting with her? Explain how much it upsets you.

One thing that *might* work, try spend an evening alone with the dog, have loads of treats and be ready to be patient. Using treats and stuff try to teach the dog a new trick, they learn very quickly. Then show your mam what you can do with a gentler hand? It might show her that you get better results through kindness.

If she is beating the dog, you need to do your best to get him out of there, although when you're talking about a family member this is never easy. :(

I really feel bad for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

If this is for real, then you need to remove the dog from this situation immediatly. It's irrelevent who it belongs to, you need to get it out of that house before it gets killed. I understand you not wanting to call the ISPCA or the Gaurds, but you need to help the little dog before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I would say you need to get the dog out of there to. He sounds more like an incovenience around your mother than a pet.
    Its pure cruelty by the sounds of things, and needs to be taken out of the home.

I agree guys, 100%, but If the OP is for real then you need to consider that firstly (s)he is young enough to still be living at home, it's the OPs mother and I'm sure they don't want to completly ruin the relationship by calling the guards, plus with all due respect OP the mother sounds like a wagon, imagine being brought up by a mother like that, would you stand up to her? I think I'd be terrified of her!

OP the dog needs to be gotten out, but mayb there is a way of doing this without calling the authorities. What if you were to buy the dog from her and rehome it yourself or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dawebmastr

I agree guys, 100%, but If the OP is for real then you need to consider that firstly (s)he is young enough to still be living at home, it's the OPs mother and I'm sure they don't want to completly ruin the relationship by calling the guards, plus with all due respect OP the mother sounds like a wagon, imagine being brought up by a mother like that, would you stand up to her? I think I'd be terrified of her!

OP the dog needs to be gotten out, but mayb there is a way of doing this without calling the authorities. What if you were to buy the dog from her and rehome it yourself or something?

yes this is real the dog was given to her as a gift and thats exactly what i told her a dog should bring her joy not cause her stress if its going to be stressing her out she dont need it and i want to get the dog out but i know she wont let me and i wont call the authorities because i obviously dont want my mom to go to jail and i am 18 years old i printed out papers for her showing her hitting the dog is not the key

its because a dog requires a lot of attention and i tried to explain this to her but my mom works night shift so she sleeps during the day basiclly has no time for the dog its so freakin cute but i dont have the patience for him either thats why when she first got the dog i ask what was she doing i didnt wanna deal with it because i know i dont have patience at all and we end up arguing all the time cuz i hate hearing the dog crying i hate abuse any kind of it

the people who gave her the dog i tried telling them to take it back so many times but i think they dont believe how much the dog really goes thru so they are yet to pick it up my mom will only be nice to the dog like once a week other then that shes all stressed and moody towards it

as far as sitting down teaching him something its hard because he just runs and runs and bites me alot not matter what he just bites and pulls on my pants and feet and bites lol i tried to play with him but hes just bites and barks and dont listen at all dont worry i dont hit him at all i try to talk to it but its really hard thats why i wanted advice on training him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DLiam007

Do the decent thing and remove the dog for it's own sake. I know it's a cliche but a dog is not a pet its for life and you wouldnt want the same thing to be done to your mom if the situation was reversed. I got our dog from a dog shelter and after 5 months she is starting to gain some confidence. She was beaten and covered in cigarette burns when we got her. Dogs are the same as us and will remember the bad treatment for the rest of its life. Give them a call. Here are the details. www.inistiogepuppyrescue.com

Fair play to you for trying :)

Your mam wouldn't go to jail OP, The worse that will happen is the dog would be taken away there amy be a fine, but I'm not sure.

I would say that at least one long walk a day will calm the dog down and might make it easier for your mam to control. You should start by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Could you sneak the dog out some day she isn't there and arrange for it to go to a rescue place? If you say whereabouts you are based I'm sure someone can let you know of the nearest rescue to you. There might even be someone here on Boards who could meet you to drive the dog over.

You can always then just tell your Mam that the dog ran out the door when you weren't looking.

The poor little guy. I don't really thinking training is going to be much good for him in that situation as your Mam is going to undermine whatever good work you do by her abusive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Get that dog out of that house now!!!

The poor creature, she should be reported for cruelty for this, if you arent prepared to do this, at least take the dog away and get it rehomed where it will be loved for properly.

You are 18 yrs old so you are an adult, do this poor dog a favour and take it out for a walk and dont bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I am also happy to help this dog and get him a new loving home, you can call me any time or text on 086 33043333 I would be more than happy to help

Suzi
    www.dogsindistress.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

You asked advice on ways to train him, so I presume you don't feel comfortable taking the route of sneaking him out of the house or you would have done that by now. Why not just ask your mother whether she actually wants the dog? From the sounds of it there's a good chance she'll say she doesn't want it. Then you can simply offer to find a home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The OP has already said the mother doesn't want to get rid of the dog, so I think their only options are to sneak the dog out, or else to report the Mam - which they don't want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I agree that it's urgent to remove the dog from the house. But I'm also concerned about the welfare of the OP, as the OP has twice mentioned s/he is getting kicked out of the house over this. Thought it would be worth advising OP to talk to the mother again before advising OP to go against mother - she may not believe that the dog got away by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

sweet jesus this dog needs to be rehomed asap!op give that amazing woman suzi a call, take dog for a walk & give the animal a decent life!as for your mother, if i was to ever see anyone being cruel to an animal i would have to restrain myself from dealing something similar out of them....sorry for the rant as i know it's not helping but animal cruelity really gets my back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Dawebmastr, I really feel for you, the position you're in is a very difficult one. You're torn between doing the right thing, and staying loyal to your mother.
    If your mother was armed with all the knowledge of a professional trainer, she would still beat the dog, because she is an abusive person who I suspect has issues. This isn't happening because she doesn't know how else to train a dog....like you said- you gave her printouts of training tips, and she took no heed of them....she beats the dog because she has personal problems and he is an easy punchbag for her to express herself on. She's not trying to train the dog at all, 'training' is a word she uses to justify what she's doing.
    What it boils down to is that your mother is carrying out acts of animal cruelty in the form of physical abuse. This is wrong. No two ways about it. It's wrong. You know that. And I think you know that no amount of pleading with her, or even a heart to heart chat, is going to stop the beating the poor dog is getting.

Also, there is no hope that you yourself can train the dog to behave better. Training will only be successful when there is trust and calm, not fear. The environment he is living in doesn't allow for that.
    "as far as sitting down teaching him something its hard because he just runs and runs and bites me alot not matter what he just bites and pulls on my pants and feet and bites lol i tried to play with him but hes just bites and barks and dont listen at all"
    He does this because nobody has ever taught him what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't. He has a lot of pent up energy because he's not exercised, a lot of frustration because he's not stimulated in any way- of course he's going to run and bark when he gets attention that doesn't involve pain- he's excited.

Look, you only have one mother, and you're too young to deal with going against her or standing up to her. So I wouldn't advise it, it will damage your relationship further. When you're a bit older you'll have more confidence to handle things.
    But for now....you MUST help the dog before he ends up dead. You need to find a way to get the dog out of the house permanently, which shouldn't be too hard as your mother sleeps til afternoon? Make arrangements to meet with Suzi who posted here too, I know her- trust me, she will find the most perfect home where the dog will be loved and very happy) (suziwalsh www.dogsindistress.org). Just pick up the dog and walk out the door with him. Don't bring his lead or other belongings or your mother will know you gave him away. Tell her he bolted out the door when you answered it.
    Does you mother have a dog license for this fella? Cos as far as I know, without one of those he doesn't legally belong to her.....so you're not stealing him, you're moving him.

Please dawebmastr, please do this for the dog. It will play on your mind for the rest of your life if you don't save him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Any further update???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Kidnapping is defiinitely in order here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

GET IT OUT NOW!!!

PM me if you need a home for it!

poor little thing!

x

p.s. Fair play to ya for standing up to your mum!

Advertisement