Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat for an 02 Golf 1.4

Options
  • 16-01-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, a friend needs a new cat for a 2002 Golf 1.44. I just gave Jetstar a call, and they want €700 for a spurious one or €1,200 for OEM, both fitted. This sounds like crazy money to me, any thoughts on where to get the job done cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I take it that the cat is just in the forward section of the exhaust system. It which case can you just get a new front section of the exhaust from Fast fit etc. It was only 200quid for my (diesel) mk4 golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Anan1 wrote: »
    Hi, a friend needs a new cat for a 2002 Golf 1.44. I just gave Jetstar a call, and they want €700 for a spurious one or €1,200 for OEM, both fitted. This sounds like crazy money to me, any thoughts on where to get the job done cheaper?

Those prices are stupid OP. There is no way a cat for a golf costs that...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just tried Fast Fit, apparently the cat & front pipe are one unit. They want €520. Sounds like crazy money to me too. Where might I get it cheaper?

I just tried Fast Fit, apparently the cat & front pipe are one unit. They want €520. Sounds like crazy money to me too. Where might I get it cheaper?

Just did a search on www.bosal.com OP Anan, and got a screen capture for you from their online catalog. As far as I know, these are the only two part numbers for the VW Golf Mk4 1.4 engine. I've done a few of them, they are not integrated with the front pipe as far as I know or at least the one's I've done before are not. If you can get the chassis number or engine code from your mate, you can tie down the part number, from the attached screen shot and ring around for a few prices.

There is no way you should be paying more than 300 Euro for this, and Bosal are OEM quality manufacturers...

www.bosal.com

I'm sure you can work out where the cat is on that diagram, but just in case, part numbers are:

099 987

098 988

098 408

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, Darragh, I appreciate it. Do you mind my asking around how much you charged all in on the ones you did?

Thanks for that, Darragh, I appreciate it. Do you mind my asking around how much you charged all in on the ones you did?

Just off the top of my head, I think the cat cost me around the 220 Euro mark and probably retailed at around 275-285 Euro. I think my customer would have paid around 350-370 Euro all in, but this would have included fitting the cat and also an emissions test post replacement as the car was usually going for an NCT re-test and I'd always check emissions after a cat just in case, as sometimes my customer could be going for an NCT re-test and I might not always have been aware of this so I'd always test emissions just to be sure.

I just rang a Motor Factors in Walkinstown, Dublin that I buy off and they quoted 245 Euro retail for the 099-987 part number so at trade, you could expect to get that for around 183 Euro, based on a 25% discount.

Quote from City Auto's, Walkinstown Roundabout, ph: 4501142...

Thanks Darragh. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Nice one Darragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head, I think the cat cost me around the 220 Euro mark and probably retailed at around 275-285 Euro. I think my customer would have paid around 350-370 Euro all in, but this would have included fitting the cat and also an emissions test post replacement as the car was usually going for an NCT re-test and I'd always check emissions after a cat just in case, as sometimes my customer could be going for an NCT re-test and I might not always have been aware of this so I'd always test emissions just to be sure.

There speaks a man that knows what he is at !!!!

If all mechanics were as helpful as this ... !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well you are lucky. For me its 1.5k eu for cat. And only from dealer. You cant get third party ones for mine car :(.

But mine friend went to lithuania, and got custom made cat for 200eu. got it sorted yesterday. Works like a dream. tfu tfu tfu! :)

well you are lucky. For me its 1.5k eu for cat. And only from dealer. You cant get third party ones for mine car :(.

But mine friend went to lithuania, and got custom made cat for 200eu. got it sorted yesterday. Works like a dream. tfu tfu tfu! :)

What kind of car is it?

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What kind of car is it?

clk200 00". I went to a few places. Even tryed that online place. All of them told me: you cant get third party for clk200 in ireland/uk.

you can get for a few ather clks and normal mercides. but not CLK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

You didn't have to go to Lithuania ... there is a guy in Limerick that would do that for you (and I'm sure if you looked you could find one in Cork). Did two on different cars for me before for around the same sort of money.

lifer_sean wrote: »
    You didn't have to go to Lithuania ... there is a guy in Limerick that would do that for you (and I'm sure if you looked you could find one in Cork). Did two on different cars for me before for around the same sort of money.

Well he was still going there, i know opel delership in buttevant doing it.

I am just happy i sorted it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Good man Darragh, helpful man to have around this place.

I paid 230 for a spurious CAT fitted to a Golf three months ago. Emerald Exhausts in Limerick. I'm not a master at mechanics, but i think he didn't have to replace from the cat forward to it was a bit cheaper.

Advertisement