Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kestrel v`s Red grouse

• 16-01-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

just wondering would a kestrel lift grouse as there are 2 kestrels on an area where i know there is a very small amount of grouse and wouldn`t like to see the grouse getting killed as there are so few of them on this hill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can never be definative on something like this but my gut reaction is that it would be highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

As stated above but I have seen kestrels raid nests on ocassions so it could happen easily to a ground nester. It is however part of the cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about Kestrels impacting on Grouse numbers. Main thing with Grouse is to get the habitat right.

Well said John. It's all about getting balance right and that includes the habitat to ensure each species has a "fair" chance of survival and competing.
    I have to say I get annoyed at times when people post concerns about one native species predating another. The evil Sparrowhawk or Magpie (came here naturally in 1600s rather than introduced, so Native in my book) attacking the Robin in my garden type thing.

Good to see you here John, I hope you're keeping a good eye on our Wicklow range. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I have to say I get annoyed at times when people post concerns about one native species predating another. The evil Sparrowhawk or Magpie (came here naturally in 1600s rather than introduced, so Native in my book) attacking the Robin in my garden type thing
    em yeh but. There is such a glut in magpie numbers due to it's ability to thrive alongside humans. A cull would be useful considering it's negative effects on other species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

thanks for the info guys

em yeh but. There is such a glut in magpie numbers due to it's ability to thrive alongside humans. A cull would be useful considering it's negative effects on other species.

That's the whole point. Can you show me the research results that show any negative affect by Magpies on other species? Any I read state there are no such adverse affects. Evidence in my own area backs that up too.

Apologies for sliding slightly off the original topic.

Advertisement