Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Phone

• 16-01-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Here's the issue.

My 18 month contract with Vodafone is due to expire in February. For the past two months or so I have been getting calls (not only from Vodafone) saying they can upgrade my phone and get me better tariff rates.

I've told Vodafone that I'm happy with my existing set up and I'm not that bothered about wanting a new handset but they insist that I have to sign up to a new 18 month contract.

Does anyone know if it is possible to stay with my existing set up on a rolling contract, or do I really have to sign up for another 18 months? I think the sales guy is just trying to get another sale on his books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I have never heard this, i dont see why you would sign another 18 motnh contract when you get no benefit usually you sign this contract as part of getting a phone at a reduced rate, Im loathe to give anything that could be classed as legal advise on the issue.

To me this seems excessive though as far as i recall from previous contracts that expired i was then put on a rolling monthly contract but still had to give them the 28 days notice to terminate as is standard but was never forced to sign up for a new 12 or 18 month contract.
    Perhaps ring them up without givign them your details and enquire what is their policy oncontract end it does smell of hard sell to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

I would agree with Rob that they are trying a hard sell. There is no reason why you should not be able to continue as you are but I'm not vodafone so I won't comment further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Rob_l wrote: »
    Perhaps ring them up without givign them your details and enquire what is their policy oncontract end it does smell of hard sell to me

Cheers for the advice. This is what I was thinking. It does smell of a hard sell.

They basically said, that I was entitled to an upgrade and tried to get me to sign up to a new tariff and get a free phone (which I don't dispute would be a better model).

They said I didn't have to change tariffs but they would have to send me a new phone regardless and therefore sign up for another 18 months.

I'll phone them and find out what the procedure is. Aside from this I've had other issues with them and really thinking about leaving and going to another operator out of spite. Maybe I can try get a free Wii out of someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

You dont have to change tariff or sign a new contract at all, unless you want a new phone and get an upgrade, which you could still sign for just 12 months if you wanted. But if you are happy with the phone you have for the time being you can stay as you are and not get tied in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

You dont have to change your tariff at all, if you want to upgrade tell them you'll take a 18 month upgrade but you want to pick it out instore, they will approve your upgrade and then when in store just pick a 12 month contract, easy peasy:L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Tell the sales guy that you'll call him back. Don't bother calling him back. Continue to use your phone as normal :)

Advertisement