Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Hosting

Options
  • 16-01-2009 3:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How troublesome is going down the dedicated server route with hosting. Do you need a lot of technical skills etc and how much is the cost - approx?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Piece of string question. You would, however, be advised to have someone with some skills keep the OS and key public-facing software (like web server, etc.) up to date. If you install control panel software (e.g. cPanel), it'll do most of this for you, from within the UI. Just be prepared to have someone come look at it if things go wrong (like a cPanel update).

Cost varies an awful lot depending on what type of hardware, bandwidth, location and service level you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Costs vary widely, depending on whether you opt for entirely unmanaged 'cheap' hardware (often desktop or tower pc's or fully managed enterprise kit, or anything in between. you also need to think about SLA's (service level agreements) that define how much and to what extent support is available, how much management of the server your provider will do, how long it should take to repair or replace your server if it physically fails, as well as committments in terms of network uptime and power availability.

In broad terms though, dedicated hosting is more complex than shared, as you carry more of the responsibility yourself for the security and maintenance of the box, unless you outsource those functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

ooops... sorry, forgot that one. ;)

anyway, ye, I have used dedicated servers for a number of years now with a really good hosting company and I have never had a problem, the support they offer is excellent, I was bricking it going down the dedicated server route, but the company I use made it very easy for me, whenever I have a problem, it gets fixed usually within the hour, the cost is $2000 per year for a dedicated server.

Advertisement