Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Broadband €29.99??

Options
  • 16-01-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I currently have the vodafone modem but am considering changing to chorus.
    You get free line rental with Chorus. I really need a phone line in the house but can't afford eircom.
    Anyone any experience with chorus, is it worth changing to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Vodafone modem (HSDPA i assume) to Chorus even 3 meg will be like going from walking to taking an F1 car to work so yes it is very worth it... :D

There really is no comparison.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen any issues posted about the UPC phone service, you won't know yourself upgrading from so called "Mobile Broadband" to UPC Cable. :)

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Really, going from mobile or wireless (not to be confused with wireless in house) to fixed line (ADSL, Cable or Fibre) is going to be a HUUUUGGGEEEE jump in the VAST majority of cases.

ainet wrote: »
    I currently have the vodafone modem but am considering changing to chorus.
    You get free line rental with Chorus. I really need a phone line in the house but can't afford eircom.
    Anyone any experience with chorus, is it worth changing to?

I dont really know about UPC's phone quality but ive looked up their prices just there. http://www.upc.ie/phone/prices/

These are quite expensive and may wipe out your saving on the line rental side. On first glance i cant see any phone packages (except local and national calls) so what you save from UPC offering you a cheap line....you might lose in calling mobiles or international calls.

Are you really committed to giving up on an ADSL supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

you could get their broadband and then get blueface which i have and is good value for money 150 euro for unlimited irish and english calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

I got a leaflet from chorus/ntl/upc and I went to their website. Their 10Mb and 20Mb plans look quite attractive. The only thing I don't like is the 1Mb / 1.5Mb upload speed.

I'm currently with Irish Broadband on the 3Mb plan and I can't really complain. But I do find it quite pricey when compared with other broadband providers.

Does anybody think I should be moving to UPC?

Please note... we don't really need a landline. We manage quite well with our mobile phones and skype here at home. And I think there might be some hidden charges with UPC if I get their landline package. We don't do any gaming stuff. But we do transfer large files due to work and stuff. That's why I appreciate the symmetrical connection of IBB.

And also, how good is UPC in terms contention ratio and similar things?

DD

P.S. Forgot to add, I have the IBB Breeze 3MB plan (fixed wireless).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

I got a leaflet from chorus/ntl/upc and I went to their website. Their 10Mb and 20Mb plans look quite attractive. The only thing I don't like is the 1Mb / 1.5Mb upload speed.

I'm currently with Irish Broadband on the 3Mb plan and I can't really complain. But I do find it quite pricey when compared with other broadband providers.

Does anybody think I should be moving to UPC?

Please note... we don't really need a landline. We manage quite well with our mobile phones and skype here at home. And I think there might be some hidden charges with UPC if I get their landline package. We don't do any gaming stuff. But we do transfer large files due to work and stuff. That's why I appreciate the symmetrical connection of IBB.

And also, how good is UPC in terms contention ratio and similar things?

DD

P.S. Forgot to add, I have the IBB Breeze 3MB plan (fixed wireless).

UPC can be hit or miss really. From my experience with them problems seem to be very location specific. I have the 20MB package myself and its great but sometimes speeds can become very erratic. Very happy overall though. If you know somebody in your area who has UPC asking them might help.

On the other hand my brother has the 3MB IBB fixed wireless and he has never experienced slow performance or lost his connection. It all really depends what your after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Thanks faoile@n.

Well, the leaflet we got was to announce that the broadband service has just been made available in our area... So I don't think there's any other people around here with this service yet.

I'm really, really happy with the 3Mb service from IBB. It's very reliable and the speed is always very, very fast. From time to time I test the speed, and I usually get towards 2.8 ... 2.9. So, it's giving a good service. The only complaint I have is the price. I wouldn't mind paying this at all if it was a bit faster though.

But if the UPC service won't be very reliable, well, maybe I shouldn't go for it then...

DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ainet

com7 wrote: »
    you could get their broadband and then get blueface which i have and is good value for money 150 euro for unlimited irish and english calls

Well I wouldn't be makinig calls, I need the phone line for recieving calls only. My sister lives abroad and has free calls home.
    Chorus seems to be the cheapest option, for phone line and broadband.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pingpongz

AVOID CHORUS! You will regret it if you dont.

• Advertisement

pingpongz wrote: »
    AVOID CHORUS! You will regret it if you dont.

Why is this? Bad customer service or bad service quality?

Have u had a bad experience with chorus?? Please reply would love to hear all sides

Have u had a bad experience with chorus?? Please reply would love to hear all sides

Just a reminder here, be careful who you listen to. I am ready and willing to tell people who i work for (Magnet), but im absolutly sure that there are a lot of members who will give you extreemly bias advice (bordering on outright bs) about the company they work for (without telling you they work for said company). My best advice would be to look at lots of forum rooms and what they all think about chorus (or anyone else for that matter) and then make your decision.

The first thing i would ask you is what are you looking for? Is it;
    • Price?
    • Speed?
    • Download limit?
    • Customer service?
    • Upload speed?
    • Contract terms?
    • Low contention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Chorus have been a loathsome and useless company for years and have no customer service ....never did .

That said the package _may_ work well. Check it out with your neighbours is my advice and if in a 'good' Chorus area it should be OK.

If ina 'bad' Chorus area God help you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

new ntl customer here and have my reasons for going with them ,even though i know they have a 24hour classical music hotline number 1908.

first and foremost ,the technology they use is something that i've always been interested in. after that it's the handiness of having a phone number aswell for little or no cost.

there are two reasons why i'd put up with crap with ntl at the moment ,the first is because they are upgrading the hell out of the network and there is bound to be swap overs and stuff.
    secondly is because they were in the sh** a few years back and they seem to be really trying to get digital rolled out in a professional way.

Magnet are a great company aswell ,but their products are limited to whats in the ground.

UPC have 120MB BB in the netherlands, so hopefully they will push there network here to even half that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Well I wouldn't be makinig calls, I need the phone line for recieving calls only. My sister lives abroad and has free calls home.
    Chorus seems to be the cheapest option, for phone line and broadband.

Thanks

Could you & your Sister use Skype on your pcs?

We've tried skype but it was constantly breaking up.
    So Chorus really does seem to be my only option.
    Cost is the number one factor for me, as long as I have a phone line and broadband thats not overly slow, i'll be happy.

Advertisement