Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from .22 to hornet?????

Options
  • 16-01-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hey,

just wondering, does an ordinary .22 license cover a .22 honet? or are they diff licenses?

cheers,
    ned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

They are the same licence Ned as in .22 calibre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Every firearm needs a license so you will still have to go to the local station and ask for the license to be amended.

They may do it on the spot for you or they may make you apply all over again

It varies from region to region unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

It will depend on your local FO if you can change your existing license. I was assured twice by my FO that I could change a .22lr over to .22-250. Once I'd splashed the cash, he changed his mind and asked me to put in a new application:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

All my FO did was to note the new make and caliber (22 WMR - 22 Hornet)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

All my fo did was just amend the details on my licence , handed it back and off i went to pick up my new rifle,
    always been like that around here anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NED1

THANKS FOR THE INFO, IT TOOK 4 MONTHS TO GET LICENSE FOR THE .22 AND I DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN!! I'LL HEAD TO SHOP TODAY AND TRADE UP SO!!
    CHEERS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The relevant info on my licence for the hornet is ; bolt action, Anschutz and S/N, .220 inches. Nobody could tell whether that's .22lr, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet or .22-250 from reading the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've often wondered why the licences aren't in fact calibre-specific. After all, what's to stop me going in with my .22 licence and buying a box of hornet ammo, or swift ammo, apart from an adherence to the law? Surely it's not in keeping with the intention of the licensing procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

NED1 wrote: »
    THANKS FOR THE INFO, IT TOOK 4 MONTHS TO GET LICENSE FOR THE .22 AND I DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN!! I'LL HEAD TO SHOP TODAY AND TRADE UP SO!!
    CHEERS

just wondering NED1 when you are going to the expense of trading up to center fire would you not go for a swift or a .223 as the hardware should not cost an awfull lot more but would certainly give extra range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've often wondered why the licences aren't in fact calibre-specific. After all, what's to stop me going in with my .22 licence and buying a box of hornet ammo, or swift ammo, apart from an adherence to the law? Surely it's not in keeping with the intention of the licensing procedure.

You would be breaking the conditions of your licence and as a consequence the law if you had for example a .22lr and you went to buy .22 swift ammo. The reason for this is that your licence states that you can have ammo for use in the firearm mentioned on your licence, as in the specific rifle, and since your .22lr doesn't swallow .22 swift ammo you would have breeched the conditions of your licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You would be breaking the conditions of your licence and as a consequence the law if you had for example a .22lr and you went to buy .22 swift ammo. The reason for this is that your licence states that you can have ammo for use in the firearm mentioned on your licence, as in the specific rifle, and since your .22lr doesn't swallow .22 swift ammo you would have breeched the conditions of your licence.

I agree absolutely. I think it's something of an oversight to mention only bore diameter, as that's not quite calibre-specific at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/137465/70673.doc

Ned this might be worth taking a look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NED1

Cheers for all the replys and info, that graph is very good, big diff between hornet and swift on distance :eek:. I'd very rarely be out with rifle at present as am out with shotgun most times. i'll look into the diff guns, might go to courtlough as they have a good selection. it prob wouldn't be worth goin for the larger ones as it would spend more time in the safe than field.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

changed from a .17 rem centrefire to a 220 swift a couple of months ago. no prob with licence one off one on in the garda station. 220 swift is a mighty tool.. highly recommended. father has a 223 bullets is 13.50 for 20 while the swift is 28.00 for 20.

Advertisement