Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine as a mature student?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

How difficult would it be to get in?

I have read on the UCD and Trinity websites that the requirements are at least a B and a C in two of the science subjects honours leaving cert plus the GAMSAT, and that preference will go to students without a degree, students already holding a degree are encouraged to apply for graduate entry.

But what do you really need to get in? I imagine it would be extremely competitive.

I went to school in the UK and have my GCSEs and two AS levels in Sociology and Media studies. My final years in school were interrupted by my parents moving back and forth to Ireland. I had originally chosen to study physics, chemistry and biology A levels, but moved to Ireland and did transition year. When I returned to England I made the foolish decision to do what I considered to be the easiest A levels, which were then interrupted when we moved back to Ireland.

In Ireland I then completed a 3 year diploma in communications and media with a distinction.

What would I need to do to have a chance of getting into medicine as a mature student?
    If I did physics, chemistry and biology leaving cert and got As, and lots of voluntary work experience would this be enough?
    Is there anything else I could do?

I don't wish to do this until around 2013 when my son is in school, so I have over 4 years. I will be 28.

Would having children go against me when I apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Your best bet is to contact the colleges departments and speak to an admission tutor.

They normally like you to have studied within the last 3-4 years and if you haven't studied a science based course they may tell you to study a short course that is science related.

You sound like you have a strength in Science from your leaving cert results and doing voluntary work will stand to you on your application. Try and also get work experience in a hospital or GP surgery.

When applying as a mature student, each candiate is looked at separately so it hard to say what you should and shouldn't do. But the colleges themselves will point you in the right direction.

Advertisement