Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D80 versus D200

• 16-01-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I'm thinking of updating my D40 later this year, and I've been looking around for good second hand body-only deals. The main reason for the upgrade is that I've slightly damaged the D40 (nothing critical, but enough to make it slightly annoying to use), and rather than throwing money at a repair I'd rather put it towards a better body. Plus, that's probably just an excuse - I want a better camera!

From what I can gather, a decent D80 will be about €400 and a D200 about €600. Obviously I'd like my next body to last me a good few years.

Is the D200 significantly better than the D80? More than happy to pay the extra, just not sure if it would make that much difference to my shots til I get much more proficient. Any advice would be appreciated - online research into is making my head spin....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

try to get a D60 (going for 300 ish, spend the rest in glass) or a D90 (one sold for 600 in adverts not long ago)
    they are in a newer generation of cameras compared to the D80 and D200

they can "see" more levels of light, from dark to bright, than the older models and have a few in camera features of which only a few are worth knowing about, D-lighting is one of them, that make them winners

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Thanks for that - I'd be tempted with the D90, though I suspect there won't be quite as many second hand models available just yet. Conns seem to be carrying 4 or 5 D200 bodies at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you see a D90 for 600 anywhere, pounce on it. I'd call that a bargain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm d200 is ALOT better than a D80, in most aspects bar noise, thats where the d90 beats the d200 too but honestly not much else, Its a close call between than and a d90, personally i'd go for a d200 unless i intended on alot of low light stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I'd also recommend the D200

• Advertisement

hummm d200 is ALOT better than a D80, in most aspects bar noise, thats where the d90 beats the d200 too but honestly not much else, Its a close call between than and a d90, personally i'd go for a d200 unless i intended on alot of low light stuff

The D200 would also be considerably cheaper than the D90 as they're much more readily available second hand.

Food for thought anyway, thanks all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

spav wrote: »
    The D200 would also be considerably cheaper than the D90 as they're much more readily available second hand.

Food for thought anyway, thanks all.

a d90 at the end of the day is ameteur and d200 semi pro... you'd really wanna to have a fiddle with them both and decide yourself

a d90 at the end of the day is ameteur and d200 semi pro... you'd really wanna to have a fiddle with them both and decide yourself

I'll do just that. The D90 does sound great, plus the option to record video could be useful, but I do like the idea of getting a semi-pro camera. Think I'll forget about the D80, I'd sooner save for the D90 I think.

yeah a d80 isn't really an option if considering a d200. Bear in mind the video is woeful on the d90 by all accounts, very limited and to be honest a bit of a gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

a d90 at the end of the day is ameteur and d200 semi pro...

agree, but that is to do with the build of it, weather sealing and roughness
    but the image processor of D90 is the same as the D300 (as well as the sensor) which is a generation further than the D200

forget video, get a camcorder for that
    D-lighting, custom picture control profiles, auto ISO, etc are some of the gimmicks that really work and worth keeping and using
    D200 is a generation behind, it doesn't have all that

you'd really wanna to have a fiddle with them both and decide yourself

handle is the same, menues very similar only picture management is different, which is why the D90 and D60 have the edge over D80 and D200

if the battle is strictly D80 and D200, if there is no much money difference, get the d200
    if there is big money, get the D80 and spend the rest in glass (a nifty fifty will give you more rewards than a slightly better camera on its own)

• Advertisement
Advertisement