Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying over to UK For a Build

Options
  • 16-01-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Flying over to UK this weekend to go to Bowlers Computer Fair Market in Northwest England to try get some cheap parts for a tower build Im hoping to do this weekend.

These are the parts Im going for...

XFX Nvidia 790i Ultra 3-way SLI 1600............£326
    EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 .........£370
    Velociraptor 300GB 16mb 10,000 Boot Drive....£204
    Corsair 6GB DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz (3x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 ...£180
    Corsair HX 1000W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU............... £160
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 - Retail 64Bit.................. £160
    Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S "Sport" Silent Full Tower Case...£150

There the Basics...PC has room for Upgrades(i.e 2 more gtx 295 when i got more cash)

Only thing Im missing is the CPU....I can't decide what to go for..

Budge is around 400 quid... left over could go for...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz 12MB..... £210
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem)...................................£220

what would do this system justice? An I7 or a Core 2 Quad?

Coments.. ideas....

Very Greatfull

Wolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

go for the core i7 920, i have it and its great. i had a Q6600 and i can see improved results already, not sure what the reults would be with the Q9550.

But if you do go for the i7, you will have to change the mobo, and most i7 mobo's have 3-way SLi.

and looking back at at the bits you are getting (3x2GB memory) that is perfect for the i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Should that xfx mobo be 226?

Where'd you get the rest of those prices from BTW?

Those processors are for different sockets too so you'd be getting a differant board depending on which one you go for.

3xgtx 295 would be a little over kill no? What res you playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

1: the GTX295 is two chips stuck together. Ergo, you won't get Tri-SLI out of it (that would be sextuple SLI, and quad is already a 0% gain over triple). Massive waste of money. The only reason to SLI stuff is to use cheap cards. There's also less than no reason to spend money on the 295 when the 4870x2 is not that far off in performance and is cheaper. Not to mention triple 295's will eat more than 1000w on their own.

2: Nvidia chipsets are fcking horrible and have been since the 680. The only reason people have been buying them is coz they *were* the only way to get SLI. Since x58 will do SLI *and* crossfire on one board, there's less than no reason to buy a 790 and wait for it to turn your boot drive into a toaster.

3: the 790 is a DUAL channel board. Buying 3 sticks of ram is going to lose performance. Triple channel RAM is for Nehalem only.

4: Why buy a velociraptor when you can get a decent SSD for around the same money? makes less than no sense. New OCZ vertex drives will be out soon, and have lost the Jmicron controller that was causing stuttering. SSD for boot, 1tb drive for storage is the way to go.

So to sum up:
    Choose a socket. If you're going to have this machine long haul and upgrade it regularly, go Nehalem, x58 board, Triple channel ddr3.
    If you're going to stick with the same build then replace the lot a few years down the line, I'd go Quad 9550, p45, and get as much ddr2 in that thing as you can get.

Advertisement