Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to close the health service

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Surely if the state abandons all health spending entrepreneurs will step into the breach?

I take it that you are proposing a US style health service? If so then check out how much worse it is than the Irish one much less the rest of the first world.
    Oh and it costs a hell of a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

That's rubbish. I don't say that people aren't dying in Ireland because of an inept and corrupt system but it hardly begs for a private system. In America I remember a stat that somewhere around 18,000 people die annually because they don't have access to health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

gurramok wrote: »
    how did Holland solve the problem of the poor not been able to afford their health system?
    The changes were made in 2006 and only changed things with regard to short term treatments (long-term treatments have been covered by their equivalent of PRSI since the late 60s and that continues). For those under a designated income threshold, the government gives them an extra allowance to ensure that they can pay. For everyone above the threshold, it's roughly half-covered by the employee, half by the employer with a small amount paid directly by the government. Children are paid for by the state. There used to be a no-claims discount but that was done away with last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

correction noted. I knew it wasn't a law but id momentarily forgotten how to spell oath!! the rest was news to me. I still don't believe they just let that man die in Mena's post.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Some of them will get better on their own.
    Some of them will get help from charities.
    Some of them won't get better.

You're an awful person. I would go on a rant about how much of a selfish individual you are but you're not worth my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You're an awful person. I would go on a rant about how much of a selfish individual you are but you're not worth my time.
    Read the forum charter please, you're very close to the line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some of them will get better on their own.
    Some of them will get help from charities.
    Some of them won't get better.

Sounds like the UK's NHS. Problem solved.

All we need now is an Irish Nye Bevan to persuade the "up themselves" consultants, doctors and surgeons to sign on the dotted line. We can then make certain that the admin staff total does not exceed 10% of the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

cabra64 wrote: »
    i think raising the price of cigarettes could combat the big hole that is the health bill. A significant % of the cost comes from treating dieases caused by fags. Its win win. Less people smoking = less cost = money (also lifes btw) saved.

Good idea. Would you also propose raising the price of alcohol and junk food? Where do you draw the line?
    cabra64 wrote: »
    Seriously tho employing loads of managers and general admin staff is pure pants.

Surely someone has to type up the medical reports, organise appointments, prepare the accounts etc? Do you really think hospital administration staff sit around all day doing nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i dont believe this country is left leaning , nor do i believe it is right leaning , we are a deeply unidealogical people ,we are a very fickle people , we compain about waste by the goverment yet the majority of us were up in arms when the goverment tried to tackle the issue of one of the wealthiest demographics having medical cards , we believe thier are too many surplus to requirement pen pushers in the civil service yet we all have an aunty betty or cousin johnny who works in the local authority and we wont vote for jimmy FF TD if he gets the sack , we like to have it both ways , we dont like people who tell it like it is or who see things in black and white , hence the popularity of FF and in particular bertie aherne

main topic in hand , getting rid of the HSE and going straight for a fully privatised health care system would be simply an idealogical leap too far for this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its easily known the OP has never had a serious medical issue or been involved in an accident. Otherwise he would realize that the only concern you have is the hope that you will be able to get better, and that you wont be bankrupt after it. One shouldn't have to worry about whether or not you will be getting better, it should be taken for granted.

I would like to talk the OP in 20 or 30 years time. It would be an experiment in the definition of "turnaround" im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It is not clear from the OP's signature where he hails from but I suspect it may be Finchley.
    While it may not be obvious these days, we do profess to live in a Christian society and as such are bound to look after those who cannot look after themselves.
    I'm delighted for the OP, in that he doesn't have any worries about health or wealth but isn't there the slightest chance that he, or his forebears, may have received even the tiniest bit of help in their journey to this enviable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The big problem with implementing it here is that risk equalisation was quashed in the courts*. We can't do a multi company, flat charge mandatory insurance scheme without it and without such we couldn't run anything similar to the Dutch system.

It would be a far better option than our current mess and is really the only sensible way to have a privatised healthcare system (the US model is just not an option, which they themselves seem to strongly agree with given political machinations of the past two decades). The take home message is that a health system doesn't need to be public to ensure everyone has access.

*I'm still fuming over this. If there ever was something that was wanted by both the public and the politicians it was this. The only people who benefit from risk not being equalised are the shareholders of Vivas et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

I think that doctors get paid too much. Especially the most senior doctors. But even so we need some sort of system. The alternative is to go back to Angela's Ashes style Ireland.

Advertisement