Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombia

• 16-01-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm planning a trip to Central and South America in the year. USIT told me not to enter Colombia because "they don't like Irish". I assume she was referring to the three alleged IRA lads that were arrested a few years ago there.

I got onto the Department of Foriegn Affairs and they deferred me to the travel advice section on their website but there's no info about Colombia.

I believe it's a beautiful country despite all the bad press it gets. Has anyone been there or can anyone advice on what to do.

Shake n bake! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Go back into USIT and tell her she is talking out of her arse and shouldn't be in the job of giving out travel advice if thats the best she can come up with. As to how she can say 44 million people in Colombia "dont like the Irish" is just beyond belief.
    Colombia sees more paramilitary deaths in a single year than I've had hot dinners- the local population have a lot more to be worrying about than 3 Irish lads who did a bunk.

You'll be very welcome in Colombia and it is indeed a very beautiful country. When I was there in 2004 all Irish had to get a visa before entry ($50) because of those 3 IRA lads, AFAIK that rule is now gone and you can just show up there as normal- in saying that check out the latest info before you go- there is a Colombian embassy in London, email them to make sure and print the email to bring with you if they say you don't need a visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I´m in Colombia now and i have had no problems at all. Actually there are a load of Irish here and the Colombians are up there with the friendliest people in the world. You don´t need a visa anymore and dealing with DAS when you enter is straightforward and quick. Your woman in Usit is one of the typical people who speak bad of Colombia due to it´s past history but yet she has never actually been there and probably knows nobody who ever has been. Go and don´t worry about it. It´s a beautiful country.

I´m in Colombia now and i have had no problems at all. Actually there are a load of Irish here and the Colombians are up there with the friendliest people in the world. You don´t need a visa anymore and dealing with DAS when you enter is straightforward and quick. Your woman in Usit is one of the typical people who speak bad of Colombia due to it´s past history but yet she has never actually been there and probably knows nobody who ever has been. Go and don´t worry about it. It´s a beautiful country.

Don't miss that floating mud volcano outside Cartegena:D

Yeah i´m up in Cartegena now. Gonna head out to it one of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not USIT's biggest fan but I went in there trying to get an idea for an iterery. The more I read about Colombia the more I want to see the place. I'll defo put it on my long list of places to see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

USIT in my experience have very ill-informed staff. However for a short time columbia had stopped permitting visas to Irish citizens. This has changed but some friends of mine had awful trouble at immigration because they were irish. Have your documents in order (proof of funds, flights etc) and you should be ok and contact the embassy before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Hey, I was all over Colombia last year had a ball its an amazing country and the people are so sound. Cartegena is the best part imo. On the border thing I crossed the border in from Ecuador in and out of Venezuela and flew to Panama so 4 times through immigration and was only questioned once by the border guards. And all he asked me was Irlanda de Norte o de Sud ?
    and he was laughing at me while saying it although I think that was to do with the fact i had a sombrero ,galway jeresy, red hawaiian shorts and yellow flip flops on at the time.
    So basically as long as you don't dress in camouflage gear and have an I love the FARC t-shirt on they just treat you like any other backpacker.

DAS are grand. There will be no more problems at immigration for the Irish than there would be for the Spanish. The Colombians are brilliant people and love a drink as well. The country is cheap enough and getting around is easy. I´ve found the place pretty safe and had no problems so far. I´m actually gonna stay here a lot longer than planned. Off to Santa Marta today.

If you're off to Taganga near Santa Marta theres a great hostel just a 6-7 minute walk slightly up hill from the fishing harbour. Cant for the life of me remember the name but it is in the LP. It is run by a sound French dude and his Colombian wife, that might help track it down. The name Chez Philip comes to mind but I might be wrong.
    Anyway if you find it then its a cool place to chill out, hammocks in the courtyard, BBQ, etc. Lovely little spot, where I was there a British author was staying there for 3 months to write his latest novel, said he had been around lots of hostels in the area but this was his fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i was there a few years ago and loved it too. if you've got time, get yourself a hamac (if you haven't already) and head off to tayrona national park (a bus leaves from santa marta to go there). great place. don't stop at the first beach/campsite, carry on. there's a lot less people and no facilities but worth it. we lived there for 2 weeks buying fish from the locals and sleeping in our hamacs. don't know how much it's changed in 10 years, but it's a national park so i doubt they've gone too crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I can't believe someone in USIT would say that! It's like telling an Brit not to travel to Ireland. Craziness.
    Everyone in South America that I met who had been to Colombia said it was their favourite country in SA. So don't miss it! And no, no need for visa.

yeah stayed in Tayrona for a few nights and just got back from Ciudad Perdida. I´ve spent like the last 9 nights in hamacas. i dont wanna look at another one ever again. grand for a snooze but not a nights sleep. i wake up feeling like a banana.

Advertisement