Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New E51 - Calendar Issues

• 16-01-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just got my new E51 delivered and I'm having trouble with the active standby and getting it to open websites having connected to wireless networks (Ive tested it on 2).

I have the organiser ticked in the active standby plugin section but memos and meetings set for tonight aren't appearing in the active standby at all.

To do's are working fine. I had a 6300 and I liked how the memos for that day would appear on the active standby screen.

Surely this should still be there on the E51?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it a branded or debranded phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Branded to Vodafone. Having read around, I noticed that this was a problem when using PC Suite to update from an older Nokia to a newer one. I was updating from a 6300.

SO..

I redid the firmware.. Restored my stuff less the calendar entries. Then, I updated the calendar from MS Outlook (I synced it today before I moved the sim over).

It seems to be behaving itself now, with all features present and correct, but its not an easy workaround.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Theres a lot of problems porting old phone data to a new phone using the PC Suite. I forgot to mention it to the chap in the repair center, but I will next week when I am collecting my E71 which is currently getting upgraded. I misunderstood your post and thought they were new entries rather then older ones (well from your old phone).

Sometimes problems are caused when a phone is branded also. I thought that might be the reason. I was going to suggest you get it debranded in the repair center and you can upgrade to the latest firmware then.

What I do think is ridiculous is that they've removed the old reminder option. Something that you can simply set to remind you to put the bins out at 8pm on a given day. You can set it as a to-do but if its set for a week's time.. it comes up on the active standby and sits there til it happens.

So you spend your time looking at a job that might need doing a week down the line.

Very strange. Does anyone else have one of these phones? Did you get used to it eventually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I have one, also upgraded from a 6300, and when I first got it the organiser function on active standby annoyed the crap out of me too. Also the fact that there was no way to add a simple note to the active standby screen like I did on my 6300.

Regarding the reminder notes, what I do is set a memo to appear on that day. Unlike the to-dos, they don't appear on your screen weeks in advance. And for quick notes I use the dedicated notes application, which I have set as an active standby shortcut for quick access.

Trust me, once you get used to it, the E51 is a lovely phone, far better than the 6300 IMO. There's no way I'd switch back now. It'll just take a week or two to get the hang of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that!
    Have you found that when using the web over WIFI, you have to click an option a few times to get it to load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Breezer wrote: »
    Trust me, once you get used to it, the E51 is a lovely phone, far better than the 6300 IMO. There's no way I'd switch back now. It'll just take a week or two to get the hang of it.

Me to, moved from the 6300 to the E51. Installed DivX on it today, seems to work well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Trotter wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    Have you found that when using the web over WIFI, you have to click an option a few times to get it to load?

Sometimes, yes, although that's usually on Opera Mini. I don't really have anything to compare it too since I've never done any web browsing on a phone before, so I don't know if this is normal. It doesn't annoy me too much though.

I cant get my E51 to open websites at all now. It connects to my wireless LAN fine, but I get the message Web - Connection Time Out when I try to browse to any website. Before the message comes up, it takes a minute or so of blank screen before the error message appears.

I have a netgear router and I use WEP. The key is entered correctly.

Has anyone come across this before?

I cant get my E51 to open websites at all now. It connects to my wireless LAN fine, but I get the message Web - Connection Time Out when I try to browse to any website. Before the message comes up, it takes a minute or so of blank screen before the error message appears.

I have a netgear router and I use WEP. The key is entered correctly.

Has anyone come across this before?

Happening to me today on my 5300 XpresMusic (using this temp at the moment). Just double checked there and my error is very similar to yours with the same symptoms. Im not connecting using WiFi as the phone doesnt have the functionality just using o2 Internet. Never happened before on my deep testing of the E51 and E71 (which ill be back using permanently next week hopefully)

The E51 is a very good phone. Its a bit of a change al right so it may take sometime getting used to but once you do you will be able to use a lot of the newer Nokia phones on the market. :) Its a powerful phone with great features but the To Do note problem you describe has been in all Nokias iv used with the functionality. I just use memo instead.

• Advertisement

Any advice on fixing that WLAN error Sully?

Any advice on fixing that WLAN error Sully?

Well I find it odd that both of our phones cant use the browser today using different methods. Usually the best way to troubleshoot problems like this would be:

1) Try connecting over o2 Internet. ie no WLAN
    2) Try turning off the encryption on the WLAN
    3) Try installing another browser such as Opera.

See how you get on with the above. An odd error and something I only came across today. I can only use o2 internet and id install Opera but the phone im using would die!

Sully wrote: »
    Well I find it odd that both of our phones cant use the browser today using different methods. Usually the best way to troubleshoot problems like this would be:

1) Try connecting over o2 Internet. ie no WLAN
    2) Try turning off the encryption on the WLAN
    3) Try installing another browser such as Opera.

See how you get on with the above. An odd error and something I only came across today. I can only use o2 internet and id install Opera but the phone im using would die!

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm with vodafone though, so I tried going through vodafone live 3G and thats working fine.

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm with vodafone though, so I tried going through vodafone live 3G and thats working fine.

Sorry, I keep forgetting its out on Vodafone.

Seems to be an issue with going through the WLAN. Any chance you can test another WLAN?

Sorry, I keep forgetting its out on Vodafone.

Seems to be an issue with going through the WLAN. Any chance you can test another WLAN?

Yep.. I dropped in to work to check.. same story!

Yep.. I dropped in to work to check.. same story!

This previously worked for you, yes? Its only stopped now?

This previously worked for you, yes? Its only stopped now?

No I only got the phone on Friday. I havent been able to get the wifi working on it at all yet.

It seems I can put in an address and first and it'll go to that page fine.. but if I click on links , it stalls to the blank page and I get the timed out error.

No I only got the phone on Friday. I havent been able to get the wifi working on it at all yet.

It seems I can put in an address and first and it'll go to that page fine.. but if I click on links , it stalls to the blank page and I get the timed out error.

Seems to be a fault with the phone in that case. Have you tried updating the firmware? Its probably in need of an update but its unlikely Vodafone have approved the firmware so you might need to go into the Nokia Repair Center in town if you still live in Waterford.

Seems to be a fault with the phone in that case. Have you tried updating the firmware? Its probably in need of an update but its unlikely Vodafone have approved the firmware so you might need to go into the Nokia Repair Center in town if you still live in Waterford.

I suspect its something to with settings. I might put the access point info in manually and see how I get on. Firmware is up to date!

Seems I'm not the only one with the problem..

E51 WLAN Issue

E51 WLAN Issue 2

To be honest, I cant understand much of whats going on in those threads but I think its the same problem as mine!

Ill have a look and see what I can make out. :)

They all seem to be talking more about fixing the wireless router as if its causing the problem. It seems to be a Netgear issue. They also suggested adding the accept point information manually on your phone.

You could go down the Netgear changing settings route I guess. I can help you with it if you like

• Advertisement

Its frustrating that I cant set a time to a memo, but now I've spotted that I cant do a repeat memo!

SURELY theres a way to do this in the E51's calendar? I used to rely on my 6300's calendar so much..

Its frustrating that I cant set a time to a memo, but now I've spotted that I cant do a repeat memo!

SURELY theres a way to do this in the E51's calendar? I used to rely on my 6300's calendar so much..

The 6300 had that feature? For memos?

Memos are only a note... not really a repeat event. The Meeting section has the ability to do repeat on the 5700. I don't have an e-series to check im afraid.

The 6300 had that feature? For memos?

Memos are only a note... not really a repeat event. The Meeting section has the ability to do repeat on the 5700. I don't have an e-series to check im afraid.

Good man.. Basically I just used the repeat reminders function for different things.

I need a simple reminder function that can alarm if necessary, and can repeat if necessary.

I suppose I can use the meeting function on the E51 for that. Thanks for all your help Sully.

Ya I dont recall the repeat feature on memos - just meetings and anniversarys (at least I thought, but I cant seem to see it in the phone I have now)!

If you want to take a stab at changing your wifi settings on the netgear router let me know. I need to know how familar you are with loging into the router and adjusting settings, if at all. This way we can try a few of the steps recommended in the Nokia support websites and see if we can put a finger on the issue. :)

I'm fairly familiar with getting in at the settings alright. I can do the basics in there. Cheers!

In the active standby I cant get a repeated reminder/memo/to-do to turn up on just the day its for.

I probably sound like a muppet but right now its telling me on the active standby about something I need to do next monday.. a week away.. and the phone is eating into my previous good humour.

I really am close to adverts.ie here. Little easy simple things that I relied on are impossible.

I cant help without an E series and I wont get mine till Wednesday/Thursday. If you can wait that long? Also, DONT! sell the phone. Trust me. We can work out the issues one by one until your happy :)

Btw this YouTube video might be useful. 10 Top Tips from O2 for the E51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Q8_TtSnSk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

My sister gave me her E51 cos she thought the wirting was to small.
    im having a bal with it (my last phone was about 8 years old) i installed something called mobitubia and internet radio ,,great fun sitting on the bog now,,connect throught the wifi,,still havent sussed how to use bluetooth.have downloaded a few theams,,i like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Sorry to thread-jack but the boss is having problems with his E51 calendar.

When he syncs all of his meetings and contacts are marked as Synchronisation - Private.

It's annoying him - also they're not syncing with ZYB, which annoys me, 'cos I said it was the dog's.

Any ideas on how to get them to default to public ?
    He's Vodafone too btw.

• Advertisement

Trust me. We can work out the issues one by one until your happy :)

I must sound like I'm standing on the edge of a tall building, not just p'd off with a phone LOL

Advertisement