Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Lane Cutting

Options
  • 16-01-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

As someone who has lived in Limerick, Cork and Dublin, I have never ever seen anything like the amount of ignorant pigs driving cars like i have in Limerick.
    Tell me, do lanes and lights mean nothing to you people? Lanes especially. Jurys and Crescent in particular:mad:
    And before you start, I am Limerick born and bred.
    Pine Grove Raheen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Liam79 wrote: »
    As someone who has lived in Limerick, Cork and Dublin, I have never ever seen anything like the amount of ignorant pigs driving cars like i have in Limerick.
    Tell me, do lanes and lights mean nothing to you people? Lanes especially. Jurys and Crescent in particular:mad:
    Pine Grove Raheen.

Firestly, what are these lanes and lights you speak of and how are they connected to driving? Cut out the gobiltygook.

Also, Jurys and Crescent are places I like to "hunt". I purposely wait for good motorists to drive by then I spring into action by cutting across lanes and running red lights to the annoyance of the motorist. The intense pleasure I get from doing this usually causes ejaculation. I know I have had a good night when I go on boards and see people complaining about bad drivers cutting across lanes and ignoring lights the next day.

Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of laning you. I hope it was as good for you as it was for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Liam79 wrote: »
    Pine Grove Raheen.

Have to agree with you there Liam...I saw a woman today at the crossroads by the county home, stop as the lights went to amber, and then accelerate again as they went red. :rolleyes:

And to top it all off, driving up o connell street on saturday beside a 06 LK avensis (wasnt like they didnt know the road)..we were both at least 100m from the traffic lights by the chicken hut as they went amber, and then red. I slowed down to stop, and off he/she went, straight through the red light missing a car with a woman and 3 children in it by inches.

The icing on the cake is when YOU take the CORRECT lane for where you want to go, and get blown out of it by a MUPPET who's convinced HE/SHE is in the right, and you are in the wrong! :rolleyes:

I dont know, I just dont know. Driving has gone to the dogs in this country.

P.S. and to the bus eireann driver who stopped just over the brow of a hill on a bend today at 1 o clock, well done sir. :mad:

Idiot.

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there Liam...I saw a woman today at the crossroads by the county home, stop as the lights went to amber, and then accelerate again as they went red. :rolleyes:

And to top it all off, driving up o connell street on saturday beside a 06 LK avensis (wasnt like they didnt know the road)..we were both at least 100m from the traffic lights by the chicken hut as they went amber, and then red. I slowed down to stop, and off he/she went, straight through the red light missing a car with a woman and 3 children in it by inches.

The icing on the cake is when YOU take the CORRECT lane for where you want to go, and get blown out of it by a MUPPET who's convinced HE/SHE is in the right, and you are in the wrong! :rolleyes:

I dont know, I just dont know. Driving has gone to the dogs in this country.

P.S. and to the bus eireann driver who stopped just over the brow of a hill on a bend today at 1 o clock, well done sir. :mad:

Idiot.

There are bad drivers everywhere. Lets all get over it.

There are bad drivers everywhere. Lets all get over it.

Sorry but I dont seem to remember asking you for your opinion. If you have nothing of value to contribute, then may I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Both posts reported.

Sorry but I dont seem to remember asking you for your opinion. If you have nothing of value to contribute, then may I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Both posts reported.

normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Both posts reported.

Bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

More suitable to the motors section. There is nothing constructive for this forum to consider.

A lot of handbags are getting thrown around here for no reason. I also didnt like the "you" people remark so overall it was a bad start to a thread.

You cannot change another drivers attitude nor assist them in learning the rules of the road. Just use your perphieral vision and drive defensively.

If you are reffering to people taking the outer orbital road from the Condell to the Dock road then that issue is old news and the Gardai randomly pull them over by standing on the roundabout.

The crescent shopping centre. The only issue I know of here is the use of the bus lane prior to the roundabout on the Raheen approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Why stop at motorists? It's been scientifically proven that Limerick pedestrians have developed selective vision where both vehicular traffic and pedestrian crossings are concerned. I believe it's caused by the proximity of the Shannon River but this has yet to be confirmed.

Both posts reported.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! :eek: :eek:

(I hope you don't report me too :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Both posts reported.

Nobody needs your permission to post their opinions in a thread, just to make that very clear for you. You are also abusing the report post function by using it for the wrong purpose. 50 posts in and you seem to have a lot to learn yet.

Back on topic, the crescent is the worst area for bad drivers in Limerick. That bus lane that splits just before the roundabout is often filled with traffic heading in the city direction, yet people still stay in the other lane and then try to cut in on those in the right. Makes my ****ing blood boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Have to say the tools who drive straight through the Jury's roundabout despite being in the left only lane get me really ****ing annoyed.

I don't know if we have the worst drivers in Ireland, but the standard in Limerick is pretty crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

lights, indicators, lanes. all three of them exist but are of no special importance here. the same goes for parking space. why park in a free parking space or a free multistorey if you can just block the footpath? seen regularely at the Grove Island swimming pool...

2 more things we seem to have in Limerick: people who think that turning on their hazard lights gives them the right to park anywhere, and the people who will stop in the middle of traffic to parallel park in a space they've just passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

and its not done by small cars. you mainly see this big four-wheeled ego boosters and pen*s enlargers doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

complaint-department-grenade.jpg

bad-drivers-handbook.jpg

Webcam looking down O'Connell Street from BT - check out the pedestrian in the bottom right corner, 30 second in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

concussion wrote: »
    Webcam looking down O'Connell Street from BT - check out the pedestrian in the bottom right corner, 30 second in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Ah the good old pedestrians of Limerick :rolleyes:. I love the way they think they have a right to cross the road even when traffic has a green light to move. Especially around mcdonalds & hmv there, they just seem to think that stepping onto the road will make traffic stop. Someone should really explain to them what happens when you try to stop a fast moving ton of steel with your body

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nobody needs your permission to post their opinions in a thread, just to make that very clear for you. You are also abusing the report post function by using it for the wrong purpose. 50 posts in and you seem to have a lot to learn yet.

Permission? Never mentioned the word. Free speech is something I'm very aware of, with my '50' posts :rolleyes: - it's a number my friend, and it means absolutely nothing. Don't forget that.

Such talk as "The intense pleasure I get from doing this usually causes ejaculation" and the nature of that post in general does constitute a piss take in all fairness, when the OP clearly hadn't taken that aproach.

To quote Ardscoil Ris, "There are bad drivers everywhere. Lets all get over it." That just does'nt seem like a very nice thing to say when people are trying to have a conversation in all fairness, or maybe it's just me and my old fashioned ways (respect etc..)

Anyway, apologies for not sticking to topic as such, but sometimes it has to be done.

Over and out.

Permission? Never mentioned the word. Free speech is something I'm very aware of, with my '50' posts :rolleyes: - it's a number my friend, and it means absolutely nothing. Don't forget that.

Such talk as "The intense pleasure I get from doing this usually causes ejaculation" and the nature of that post in general does constitute a piss take in all fairness, when the OP clearly hadn't taken that aproach.

To quote Ardscoil Ris, "There are bad drivers everywhere. Lets all get over it." That just does'nt seem like a very nice thing to say when people are trying to have a conversation in all fairness, or maybe it's just me and my old fashioned ways (respect etc..)

Anyway, apologies for not sticking to topic as such, but sometimes it has to be done.

Over and out.

pp_Baby%20Photo%20Gallery_1152305917514_431365D.jpg

Over and out.

I'm not going to start an arguement here with you because its completely off topic. I wasn't demeaning your postcount, simply saying that after 50 posts, you should know how threads work around here. The comment by Ardscoil Ris is one of a type that you will see in many threads on boards. If you are offended by that, then I really don't know what to say to you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus lads get a room.

Ardscoil and Cul - stop taking potshots at each other.

Back on topic, please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Have to say the tools who drive straight through the Jury's roundabout despite being in the left only lane get me really ****ing annoyed.

100% agree, when I see some arsehole go down the "Left turn only" lane at Jury's and you just KNOW he'll squeeze past 50 cars AND the car that's going straight on and he just HAS to to get to the other side before you.
    Some tried it, most lost. Still waiting for the d*ckhead that is stupid enough to see if I'm bluffing, kerrching! payout, because I will take anyone who tries that on me into the ditch, to court and to the cleaners and nice holiday for me.

The one annoying thing about the Mallow Street to the roundabout direction is the right hand lane. The lane markings depict that you can go both straight on(across bridge) and right(harveys quay). Some people in heavy traffic head into that lane and cross the bridge which technically is correct but by the lack of lanes exiting the roundabout is completely dangerous.

It is also a new phenomenon with dual lanes entry and exit roundabouts. The people of Limerick are only just getting used to them. Groody roundabout for example. I always cross from the Dublin road to town direction in the inner orbital lane and every so often you get some numpty in the outer oribtal lane(outside lane) who decides he would like to go around again and cuts across in front of you(scenic route). I was lucky to have ABS a few times and narrowly missed driving straight in through the drivers door.

The Raheen roundabout is another annoying location because often the road left towards the dock road is soo busy that people enter the roundabout in the inner orbital lane and exit towards dooradoyle. It can cause confusion to those entering the roundbout who fully expect them to continue to navigate the roundabout to take either the 3rd or 4th exit.

Here is another thing about baby roundabouts(outside hospital) with a thru flow bus lane. People approach this roundabout and hop into the left lane to go around the roundabout and then go back into the right lane to exit the bus lane. The only reason for entering the bus lane at the roundabout is to go left. You should stay in the right lane and navigate the roundabout in the inner orbital lane. As a roads engineer I have built many roundabouts and I can assure you this is the way to navigate this roundabout.

Finally(for now anyway)

Example. Early morning John Carew Park Link road / Dual Carraigeway roundabout. You are coming from the Dublin direction and wish to turn right to head towards the Maldron hotel. You stay in the right lane(ok so far) and exit at the 2nd exit towards the Maldron. What gets on my t*ts is drivers who join the tailback of people coming from the Cork direction heading to the Maldron. They have their own lane, you must continue around the roundabout and exit in the Maldron exit in your own lane. The reason the roads are built at that angle with the traffic island is to allow people to merge into one lane. You DO NOT MERGE on the roundabout. AARRGGHH :mad:

The mere mention of that roundabout will cause people to mention the cheeky manoveur performed here. You are coming from Dublin and want to take the left heading to Cork/Tralee but the traffic is far to heavy in the left lane so you continue to the roundabout and stick the foot down on the roundabout and jump into the left exit. High powered vehicles can only really pull off this manoveur which can lead to an accident as witnessed by me when an artic decided to "accidently" take a wider turn. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

I know this is slightly off topic but I was out by Killmurry Lodge wednesday pulling out of AIB as someone was pulling into it, thus letting me go out, when this nut job in a van just off the Kilmurry roundabout sees me as some severe inconvience to him and decides to tailgate the backside off me, he wasn't even there when I pulled out so it's not as if I was pulling out in front of him, I don't understand why people see the need to do this, its not as if we are out on the main road and I'm holding up the show. Why do people feel the need to aggresively taligate? It baffles me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

DarkJager wrote: »
    2 more things we seem to have in Limerick: people who think that turning on their hazard lights gives them the right to park anywhere, and the people who will stop in the middle of traffic to parallel park in a space they've just passed.

ah come on, people parking with hazards on happens EVERYWHERE!! especially at hardware shops!!

you have to drive past the space to reverse into it to parallel park if its a tight squeeze, nothing wrong with that provided they have indicated.

Mimibear wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off topic but I was out by Killmurry Lodge wednesday pulling out of AIB as someone was pulling into it, thus letting me go out, when this nut job in a van just off the Kilmurry roundabout sees me as some severe inconvience to him and decides to tailgate the backside off me, he wasn't even there when I pulled out so it's not as if I was pulling out in front of him, I don't understand why people see the need to do this, its not as if we are out on the main road and I'm holding up the show. Why do people feel the need to aggresively taligate? It baffles me :confused:

A few taps on the breaks will usually give them the message. If it continues past that, I'll generally throw in a few sudden brakes and the rear fog lamps.
    RINO87 wrote: »
    ah come on, people parking with hazards on happens EVERYWHERE!! especially at hardware shops!!

you have to drive past the space to reverse into it to parallel park if its a tight squeeze, nothing wrong with that provided they have indicated.

Nothing wrong with that at all, except when it completley ignores the tailback of traffic behind you.

Tapping the brakes is frowned upon although Hibernians traning school instructors told people to "feather" the brakes for tailgaters. I know this because I attended the school myself. I do it but I dont brake hard because causing a crash(which could happen) is more illegal than tailgating. "Dangerous driving" and up to 4 points on your license.

Parallel parking is a right unless the space is big enough to drive straight into and align your car afterwards but mostly this is impossible so for someone to begrude somebody a parking space because of a tailback is wrong. I personally hate people who see you indicate, drive past the space only for them to drive up behind your bumper so you cannot reverse. I personally will sit with my reverse lights on and indicator until they back up out of my way. It would be road rage to assume you can bully somebody from getting into a space because you dont want to be held up.

Where do people park without regard for others more often that not?

Outside the € shops on William Street. Those "type" of people have no regard for other users and happily block up the street.

Taxi's on Sarsfield Street boil my brain. They park on the side of that pub facing Arthurs Quay park because the rank is full and then when it starts to move they reverse back onto the junction, turn and then block the pedestrian crossing to get into the rank. I forced a taxi driver to leave the rank because I wanted to cross the road with my grandmother in a wheelchair. He said "Im sorry, where do you want me to go". I said "out of my way and after that I dont give a sh*t." Fair enough there are too many taxi's and our Mayor(scumbag in a badly fitting suit) told people that are losing their jobs that they could supplement their social welfare by using their cars as taxi's at peak periods. Taxi drivers nearly exploded with rage. :mad::mad: Oh, I hate both of them so let them off :D

Berty wrote: »
    Tapping the brakes is frowned upon although Hibernians traning school instructors told people to "feather" the brakes for tailgaters. I know this because I attended the school myself. I do it but I dont brake hard because causing a crash(which could happen) is more illegal than tailgating. "Dangerous driving" and up to 4 points on your license.

I brake just enough to put a good scare into them. If they crash, well then thats tough **** as far I'm concerned, they should have left enough space to react to hazards.
    Taxi's on Sarsfield Street boil my brain. They park on the side of that pub facing Arthurs Quay park because the rank is full and then when it starts to move they reverse back onto the junction, turn and then block the pedestrian crossing to get into the rank. I forced a taxi driver to leave the rank because I wanted to cross the road with my grandmother in a wheelchair. He said "Im sorry, where do you want me to go". I said "out of my way and after that I dont give a sh*t." Fair enough there are too many taxi's and our Mayor(scumbag in a badly fitting suit) told people that are losing their jobs that they could supplement their social welfare by using their cars as taxi's at peak periods. Taxi drivers nearly exploded with rage. :mad::mad: Oh, I hate both of them so let them off :D

Completley agree with you on this point, the drivers at that rank seem to think they have the right to use the road any way they want e.g when they pull out from the rank and cut across both lanes of traffic to turn up on connell street when they have no right of way to do so.

Berty wrote: »
    Where do people park without regard for others more often that not?

• Outside Apache Pizza - footpath always blocked
    • Across the road from Apache Pizza - cars parked carelessly in the loading bay block the filter lane for buses and trucks turning onto Sarsfield Bridge
    • The left-most lane on O'Connell St is only free from parked cars after about 8 at night.
    • Everywhere else.

Those barriers to protect the pedestrian crossing only made things worse, the crossing still gets blocked but now taxi's are parking in the lane itself.

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    Those barriers to protect the pedestrian crossing only made things worse, the crossing still gets blocked but now taxi's are parking in the lane itself.

I used to park my van in the loading bay outside the bank and the taxi's used to give out to me saying I was blocked their loading bay and then wrap all the taxi's around me. I had to call the Gardai twice because they refused to move.

When they try to turn right from the rank up O'Connell Street and Im at the front they never make it. :D I always match their speed until they finally realise they will never make it and head up William Street down the alley by BT's up Thomas Street and back over to Roches Street. You cannot cross two lanes of traffic in the ROTR so taxi's should not be allowed to do it.

They were offered a taxi rank outside Pennys and threw a strop and refused it. This would have allowed them up O'Connell Street but would have also blocked them crossing two lanes up William Street.

At least they would have had two ranks and not block the bottom of Sarsfield Street.

Advertisement