Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Lane Cutting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

just remember tho, there was a munster match on yesterday so what you experienced could be crk people going home out the cork road/raheen area??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The match didn't finish til nearly 10pm last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

There is a very similar thread in the Galway forum about Galway people. There is bad drivers everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

DarkJager wrote: »
    Back on topic, the crescent is the worst area for bad drivers in Limerick. That bus lane that splits just before the roundabout is often filled with traffic heading in the city direction, yet people still stay in the other lane and then try to cut in on those in the right. Makes my ****ing blood boil.
    Just to clarify, are you giving out about the people driving illegally in the buslane, or the legal people who waited to pull into the inner lane after the buslane ends....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

cooperguy wrote: »
    There is a very similar thread in the Galway forum about Galway people. There is bad drivers everywhere.

That's what I said and I was nailed to the cross...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liam79 wrote: »
    As someone who has lived in Limerick, Cork and Dublin, I have never ever seen anything like the amount of ignorant pigs driving cars like i have in Limerick.
    Tell me, do lanes and lights mean nothing to you people? Lanes especially. Jurys and Crescent in particular:mad:
    And before you start, I am Limerick born and bred.
    Pine Grove Raheen.

you should try driving in boston then!
    Berty wrote: »
    Here is another thing about baby roundabouts(outside hospital) with a thru flow bus lane. People approach this roundabout and hop into the left lane to go around the roundabout and then go back into the right lane to exit the bus lane. The only reason for entering the bus lane at the roundabout is to go left. You should stay in the right lane and navigate the roundabout in the inner orbital lane. As a roads engineer I have built many roundabouts and I can assure you this is the way to navigate this roundabout.

Thats not really a baby roundabout. And the bus lane ends just before thr roundabout and continues straight afterwards. So people are right to take the left lane for going straight on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

the people who will stop in the middle of traffic to parallel park in a space they've just passed.

And how exactly do you parallel park in a space that is not big enough to drive directly into? :rolleyes:

I guess you just say, "Oh no, I better not park here because I'll inconvience the guy behind me for 5 seconds while I reserve in". I hope this was supposed to be a piss take of a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

you should try driving in boston then!

Thats not really a baby roundabout. And the bus lane ends just before thr roundabout and continues straight afterwards. So people are right to take the left lane for going straight on!

No they are not. The bus lane ends and opens up a small section for people to turn left. The traffic going ahead(2nd exit) into the city needs to stay in the right hand lane and take the inner orbital route of the roundabout.

I have designed and built roundabouts as an Engineer for the NRA and I can assure you I am correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

its the idiots who park at the end of cruises St who kill me. Or outside Mojos or especially chicken hut!! Flashers on!! :mad:
    do they realise people have to overtake them!!!!
    Its so bloody dangerous
    also, on a slightly diff point, have u EVER known of a worse excuse for a "car park" than that..yoke..outside xtravision in Dooradoyle!!

its the idiots who park at the end of cruises St who kill me. Or outside Mojos or especially chicken hut!! Flashers on!! :mad:
    do they realise people have to overtake them!!!!
    Its so bloody dangerous
    also, on a slightly diff point, have u EVER known of a worse excuse for a "car park" than that..yoke..outside xtravision in Dooradoyle!!

To be fair outside the chicken hut is a bus lane(that goes nowhere) so you wouldnt be driving in this lane anyway.

Outside Mojo's is only a single yellow line which means you can there outside of the times marked on the sign which from memory(living on Rutland St) is 5:45pm.

Parking outside the Jasmine palace and all those places was socially acceptable up to around 1 year ago when the traffic corps decided to ticket everybody parked there. It IS a double yellow line area but was considered socially acceptable to park there considering there is no actual use for that lane and all the lanes before and after are only two lanes so why 3 lanes outside that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so hang on, jager, those people who slow, indicate, move beyond a space, and go to reverse into a parking space, what would you have them do? If a space is only big enough for one car they should ignore it?
    Parallel parking is quicker than driving nose in, and will cause less obstruction. thats how you're SUPPOSED to park. Maybe the drivers behind them should use common sense and when they see a car slow with indicators beside an empty space, give them the 30 seconds needed to park. If you're in the city centre, you're not in that much of a hurry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That bus lane that splits just before the roundabout
    That is the single most retarded bit of 'design' I have ever seen on an Irish road.

Aidric wrote: »
    That is the single most retarded bit of 'design' I have ever seen on an Irish road.

I would say that Kerry and Mayo county council will the darwin award for roundabout design.

Their roundabouts are different from every other county in such that you must be in the right lane if you intent on taking the 2nd exit as opposed to every other county whereby you enter the roundabout from the left lane to take the 2nd exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No they are not. The bus lane ends and opens up a small section for people to turn left. The traffic going ahead(2nd exit) into the city needs to stay in the right hand lane and take the inner orbital route of the roundabout.

I have designed and built roundabouts as an Engineer for the NRA and I can assure you I am correct.

If thats the case, there should be arrows on the road telling you to stay in the RHS lane to go straight on?

And a arrow for a left turn in the LHS lane. Just like the one down at St. Pauls Church. Thats what the drving instructors will tell you.

To be fair outside the chicken hut is a bus lane(that goes nowhere) so you wouldnt be driving in this lane anyway.

Outside Mojo's is only a single yellow line which means you can there outside of the times marked on the sign which from memory(living on Rutland St) is 5:45pm.

Parking outside the Jasmine palace and all those places was socially acceptable up to around 1 year ago when the traffic corps decided to ticket everybody parked there. It IS a double yellow line area but was considered socially acceptable to park there considering there is no actual use for that lane and all the lanes before and after are only two lanes so why 3 lanes outside that location.

Berty, what are you on about? There is absolutely NO bus lane outside chicken hut....there is no bus lane atall on that part of O'Connell St......:confused:
    And as for outside Mojos, I am talking about Saturday afternoons. Your coming from Clare St, you take the inside lane at the lights, your heading down O'Connell St and next thing some arse in a van has parked half way on the road outside Mojos completely blocking all traffic on the inside lane, thus making people have to switch lanes leading to all kinds of chaos.
    Are you that van driver Berty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The reason people get ticketed outside the jasmine these days is because it's now a taxi rank from i think 7pm to 7am at any other time it's a lane for those turning left onto Cecil street. nothing to do with it no longer being socially acceptable.

Berty, what are you on about? There is absolutely NO bus lane outside chicken hut....there is no bus lane atall on that part of O'Connell St......:confused:
    yes, there is. Its for the tourist coaches to pull up. Observence fail, please hand in your licence :p

zuroph wrote: »
    yes, there is. Its for the tourist coaches to pull up. Observence fail, please hand in your licence :p

Zuroph, its not a bus lane
    now, gimme back that license!!!

Zuroph, its not a bus lane
    now, gimme back that license!!!
    but the whole lane is closed due to a coach parking facility which by and large isnt used at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Half the problem with Limerick is the absolute dire road design anyway. The Tipperary road probably being the flag ship example of how NOT to design a road

• Advertisement

The Chicken Hut offenders almost always park in the middle of the left hand lane on O'Connell St, flashers on, waiting for their horrible chicken with their Argos jewellery and their smelly tackies! I hate them :mad:

its the Abra double parkers I have more trouble with.

as for the mojos thing, once its passed half 5 they're allowed park there, but the line on the road isnt adjusted to allow for that, its pretty stupid.

And can we get fcuking henry st sorted out?! it now goes 3 lanes, 3 different lanes, 3 different lanes. people used to go up the right lane for the middle lane outside the marriot, but now, theres no clarification as to which lane to use. resulting in traffic merging from two lanes to one at shannon st junction. a mess.

If thats the case, there should be arrows on the road telling you to stay in the RHS lane to go straight on?

And a arrow for a left turn in the LHS lane. Just like the one down at St. Pauls Church. Thats what the drving instructors will tell you.

Yup I agree completely that is another prime example of **** design. Going strictly by the RoTR you would have to be in the left hand lane as the bus lane ends just before the roundabout.

So Berty can you explain how people are meant to know how to stay in the inner orbital (right hand) lane when (from my understanding)

A) It goes against all teachings and the RoTR
    B) There's no road markings or signage (bar a straight arrow in both lanes)

Also the lovely pedestrian crossings right at the exits of the Kilmurry roundabout in Casteltroy. Simply excellent. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Vegeta wrote: »

Also the lovely pedestrian crossings right at the exits of the Kilmurry roundabout in Casteltroy. Simply excellent. That's an accident waiting to happen.
    its not waiting, its happened several times already.

Great point about Henry St. When you get past the lights and head past Dunnes there is almost like a new lane outside the Marriot and you HAVE to lane switch and often so does the fella in the lane next to you......:confused:

zuroph wrote: »
    its not waiting, its happened several times already.

Ouch, car on car or were pedestrians involved? The latter would be a disaster but I imagine it could easily happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Also the lovely pedestrian crossings right at the exits of the Kilmurry roundabout in Casteltroy. Simply excellent. That's an accident waiting to happen.[/quote]

Same Problem with the pedestrian crossings on Shannon Bridge. You need to have eyes either side of your head like a fish in order to see

1. Traffic coming from Mallow St. (Sometimes three cars accross and we all know 3 into one doesn't go)

2. Then look to the left making sure the car infront has not slamed on the breaks. Particulary hard to see pedestrians with all the barriers obstructing the view and at night.

Another thing with that Shannon bridge roundabout. Whats with all the langers that are in the left lane on the bridge then exit onto the Dock Rd. (3rd Exit) cutting me off in the process. W*****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

agree with Henry street being a disaster but so is William Street. parking on yellow lines outside Boots area all the way up to Bus Stops, then double parking at the top of the street. and then there's the people who just drive up the middle of the white line up around by the euro shops. Wheres all the traffic wardens for this - oh ya, giving out tickets for people who are minutes over their disk. I've never seen a car get a ticket for parking on yellow or double parking up there

Vegeta wrote: »
    Ouch, car on car or were pedestrians involved? The latter would be a disaster but I imagine it could easily happen.
    I've seen several accidents there, now i cant definitely blame the pedestrian crossing for the most serious one ( i think it was more boy racer caused), but i saw people taken away in ambulance.

• Advertisement

The most annoying aspect of henry street is that it USED to work so well, and then the planners just gave up loads of it to private investment?!?

Advertisement