Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Lane Cutting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

zuroph wrote: »
    The most annoying aspect of henry street is that it USED to work so well, and then the planners just gave up loads of it to private investment?!?

it would be fine again, if they took the hoardings down at the hanging gardens, seeing as the building work has stopped, and also if they took away the "temporary" traffic islands outside elvery's and bank of scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can someone make this a sticky?? Obviously would stop other traffic-type threads being opened!

This is obviously a sore point for many of us driving/cycling in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Update for ye

Driving through town last night coming up past the bell table heading twoards O'Connell Ave, come to the junction of Hartstonge St and this fella in his 4X4 just pulls right out in front of me without even looking. He didn’t care what was coming, he was getting his way. I blew him off the road and just gives me the finger. I sware to God i actually WANTED him to crash :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Liam79 wrote: »
    Update for ye

Driving through town last night coming up past the bell table heading twoards O'Connell Ave, come to the junction of Hartstonge St and this fella in his 4X4 just pulls right out in front of me without even looking. He didn’t care what was coming, he was getting his way. I blew him off the road and just gives me the finger. I sware to God i actually WANTED him to crash :mad:

Same thing happened me at that junction but it was a girl in a car, she was only driving 2 days and she didn't know what to do so I had to slap my bike off the road rather than put quarter of a ton in her side window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Same thing happened me at that junction but it was a girl in a car, she was only driving 2 days and she didn't know what to do so I had to slap my bike off the road rather than put quarter of a ton in her side window

Thats conscientous driving for you,quick and smart thinking out of you man.
    Its a joke that somebody driving two days can spin about the place and not a bother on them. I know its all due to change now with ammendments to the licensing system, but even with that,how will it be policed?I mean, I still see plenty of L plated drivers driving round on their own every day.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You're all forgetting about the wonderful Parnell St, the scummiest street in Limerick where all and sundry pull their cars up outside Albany Paints, Luigis, etc and block a whole lane. An absolute joke.

grenache wrote: »
    You're all forgetting about the wonderful Parnell St, the scummiest street in Limerick where all and sundry pull their cars up outside Albany Paints, Luigis, etc and block a whole lane. An absolute joke.

Grenache, thats being happening for years, not like its going to change unless the Gardai do something about it!
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Yup I agree completely that is another prime example of **** design. Going strictly by the RoTR you would have to be in the left hand lane as the bus lane ends just before the roundabout.

So Berty can you explain how people are meant to know how to stay in the inner orbital (right hand) lane when (from my understanding)

A) It goes against all teachings and the RoTR
    B) There's no road markings or signage (bar a straight arrow in both lanes)

On this point, I noticed while driving past the roundabout earlier, there is a arrow that breaks off into two to show people into both lanes, however there are no arrows telling you in which direction to go when you are past or on the roundabout. So going by the ROTR you would take the LHS lane for going to left (1st exit) or straight on(2nd exit)

On this point, I noticed while driving past the roundabout earlier, there is a arrow that breaks off into two to show people into both lanes, however there are no arrows telling you in which direction to go when you are past or on the roundabout. So going by the ROTR you would take the LHS lane for going to left (1st exit) or straight on(2nd exit)

Exactly! So to the person who it on this thread & designs the roundabouts please go and learn the rules of the road! We can all draw circles :rolleyes:

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya that is a joke. It seems that its perfectly acceptable to double park there!

Another one that really annoys me is on the new road outside Grove Island shopping centre people insist on parking in the lane on the main road completely ignoring the double yellow line and the FREE parking at the opposite side of the footpath in front of Supervalu:mad: Iv seen a number of dangerous situations because of those idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cooperguy wrote: »
    Ya that is a joke. It seems that its perfectly acceptable to double park there!

Another one that really annoys me is on the new road outside Grove Island shopping centre people insist on parking in the lane on the main road completely ignoring the double yellow line and the FREE parking at the opposite side of the footpath in front of Supervalu:mad: Iv seen a number of dangerous situations because of those idiots!

Its laziness. Its generally easier and quicker to park in the multistorey than even in the lower car park. Parking on that street is just ignorance.

However I did have to park the truck on the footpath many times because you cannot deliver to the cafe and chipper because they do not have loading bays. The only loading bay in the whole area is the Supervalu loading bay which does not allow access to the other retail units so possibly spare a thought for large high vehicles but scorn the rest of course. :D

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Parking on the street is just ignorance.
    However I did have to park the truck on the footpath many times because you cannot deliver to the cafe and chipper because they do not have loading bays. so possibly spare a thought for large high vehicles but scorn the rest of course. :D

:rolleyes: *** ******* ****

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

:D

Anyone care to comment on the correct usage of roundabouts???

I know I know...I shouldnt troll, but I couldnt resist it..

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its laziness. Its generally easier and quicker to park in the multistorey than even in the lower car park. Parking on that street is just ignorance.

However I did have to park the truck on the footpath many times because you cannot deliver to the cafe and chipper because they do not have loading bays. The only loading bay in the whole area is the Supervalu loading bay which does not allow access to the other retail units so possibly spare a thought for large high vehicles but scorn the rest of course.
    The time of day Id be passing I dont see any trucks. I have taken to blowing the horn if people are waiting in the car, I know they are probably just wondering what the hell im hitting the horn for but its stress relieving for me:)

Xennon wrote: »
    :D

Anyone care to comment on the correct usage of roundabouts???

I know I know...I shouldnt troll, but I couldnt resist it..

:eek:

There are so many different types so its easiest just to mention and standard 4 point roundabout.(without bus lanes or any other restrictions)

You look at a roundabout as (from where you are as) 6,9,12 and 3. To get to the 1st exit(9) you stay in the left lane, indicate left and exit left.

2nd exit. You stay in the left lane and navigate the roundabout in the outer orbital lane and indicate at the 1st exit to indicate your intention to leave at the next exit.

3rd exit. You stay in the right hand lane and navigate the roundabout in the inner orbital lane and have your indicator on to show you are going right and after the second exit you indicate left and exit onto the 3rd exit.

4th exit(turnabout). Same as above except you indicate your inention to take the exit after the 3rd exit.

If like the Groody roundabout there are two lanes entering and two lanes leaving the Dublin-Limerick/Limerick-Dublin direction then you may enter the roundabout in the right hand lane, navigate the roundabout in the inner orbital lane and exit at the second exit. Be careful for those drivers taking the scenic route back around the roundabout. :mad:(left lane drivers who decide not to take the exit keep going to the next cutting up the other lane)

The LIT roundabout can cause great confusion. If you are coming from the Ennis road and heading towards Hassets cross you need to stay in the right hand lane to navigate this roundabout as the exit you want is the 3rd exit. The 1st is Cratloe road and the 2nd is LIT so following the ROTR you must stay in the right hand lane which its quite common for people not to do.

oh there are just so many to talk about.

Haha spot on there Berty!

With your example for the groody roundabout, do the same rules apply for that one down the hill from the Maldron hotel?

Haha spot on there Berty!

With your example for the groody roundabout, do the same rules apply for that one down the hill from the Maldron hotel?

Same thing sparks 2 lanes in 2 lanes out

LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

and ITS NOT! 2 lanes in whatever lane you feel like out!!!!

Well when you are coming from Tipp side of DC, and you take the RHS lane to go left(cork direction) is that ok? Seems a bit of odd one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The LIT one has an odd camber on it and the Cratloe Road and LIT exits are very close together - it's quite dodgy trying to signal and manouver on while trying not to get milled by traffic coming up the Ennis and Cratloe roads. Ah well, I just take the lane and make quite determined (almost vicious) eye contact with the sheep trying to enter the roundabout.

(I'm on a bicycle BTW :P)

Well when you are coming from Tipp side of DC, and you take the RHS lane to go left(cork direction) is that ok? Seems a bit of odd one

Thats ok because there is no road straight on

• Advertisement

Here is a crazy example for you and I would ask you to even call a few driving training schools and ask their opinion.

Did you know that on the roundabout outside Pat Keoghs the following:

If you are leaving the city centre and heading out towards the flyover actual proper action on this roundabout should be that because the Tipperary exit is the third exit you should be in the right hand lane,

however,

The bloodmill road is classed as an "L" so is not classfified as an entry exit point to the roundabout so although the roundabout actually has 5 exits it is only treated as a roundabout with 4 exits hence why people going from the city towards Tipperary navigate towards the Tipperary exit in the left lane.

Picture the roundabout and think about it. By all rights of the ROTR you should be in the right hand lane/inner orbital lane.(if the local road was classified as an "R" road.

Funny old city.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

and just how is someone supposed to know what roads are classified as `L' or `R' ???? I'm familiar with that roundabout but wouldn't use it regularly, but would have always thought that Bloodmill Road was 1st exit - I guess it would be too much to expect our fabulous road planners to think of installing the odd sign or two.

By the way, LIT roundabout is no where near Ennis Road - its Brookville Avenue that leads from Ivans up to the roundabout.

Here is a crazy example for you and I would ask you to even call a few driving training schools and ask their opinion.

If you are leaving the city centre and heading out towards the flyover actual proper action on this roundabout should be that because the Tipperary exit is the third exit you should be in the right hand lane,

however,

The bloodmill road is classed as an "L" so is not classfified as an entry exit point to the roundabout so although the roundabout actually has 5 exits it is only treated as a roundabout with 3 exits hence why people going from the city towards Tipperary navigate towards the Tipperary exit in the left lane.

Picture the roundabout and think about it. By all rights of the ROTR you should be in the right hand lane/inner orbital lane.(if the local road was classified as an "R" road.

Funny old city.

Must check that one out! Is it not signposted on the roundabout sign??

Must check that one out! Is it not signposted on the roundabout sign??

It is on the roundabout sign which confuses the situation even more.

Most people ignore the existence of the bloodmill road by the way they negotiate the roundabout. Most people consider the Tipperary exit to be at 12:00 in their mind so stay in the left lane but by right everybody should take the Tipperary exit in the inner orbital lane.

Yet if most people started to change the way they negotiate the roundabout then all the others who think they are doing it correctly will think you are wrong and boom blowing horns and road rage.

however,

The bloodmill road is classed as an "L" so is not classfified as an entry exit point to the roundabout so although the roundabout actually has 5 exits it is only treated as a roundabout with 4 exits hence why people going from the city towards Tipperary navigate towards the Tipperary exit in the left lane.

Funny old city.

It dose not matter if the road is an L or R road, it dose not matter the number of exits.
    going from the city to tipp the tipp exit is at 12oc so you use the left hand lane unless the road is marked otherwise

LB

oh well wrote: »
    and just how is someone supposed to know what roads are classified as `L' or `R' ???? I'm familiar with that roundabout but wouldn't use it regularly, but would have always thought that Bloodmill Road was 1st exit - I guess it would be too much to expect our fabulous road planners to think of installing the odd sign or two.

By the way, LIT roundabout is no where near Ennis Road - its Brookville Avenue that leads from Ivans up to the roundabout.

From Ivans its straight up the road to LIT roundabout about a mile? Thats fairly near the Ennis Road.

LB

It dose not matter if the road is an L or R road, it dose not matter the number of exits.
    going from the city to tipp the tipp exit is at 12oc so you use the left hand lane unless the road is marked otherwise

LB

By the ROTR it does matter! An exit is an exit! And its signposted. Oh the craziness

what do you do count exit's :rolleyes:

LB

Using 12 o'clock is only an example of a standard roundabout but the one by Pat Keogh is not standard because it has more than 4 exits at different angles.

Ask any driving insructor or school and they will tell you that any exit after the 2nd exit must be taken in the right hand lane. The exit off this roundabout from Limerick towards Tipperary should(by right and the ROTR) be navigated in the inner orbital lane and approached in the right hand lane.

I dont, I wont but we should.

• Advertisement

what do you do count exit's :rolleyes:

Do you want to try that again? :D

Advertisement