Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Lane Cutting

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I'd say our man Liam doesn't like people from Limerick(the other thread too).

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

I just looked this up on the forum and there are loads of threads on it but no answers
    So until the RSA work out how to use a roundabout with multiple exits it’s not worth the debate
    My 2 cents

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My 2 cents

LB

You are now 4 cents down on this thread alone. We best stop as there is a recession on. You could be broke by the time we sort it all out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Berty wrote: »
    You could be broke by the time we sort it all out. :D

Here is another 20 cents Berty call someone who cares :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Using 12 o'clock is only an example of a standard roundabout but the one by Pat Keogh is not standard because it has more than 4 exits at different angles.

Ask any driving insructor or school and they will tell you that any exit after the 2nd exit must be taken in the right hand lane.
    incorrect. Driving school used to teach this, but now the general rule seems to be <=180degrees=left lane >180degrees right lane, unless otherwise marked (In my case I got the latter rule from driving instructor, and from Hibernian ignition course run by Irish Advanced motorists) This is where the confusion stems from, the fact that there is twoapparently legitimate schools of thought. the last time this popped up on the forum, even the gardaí were unable to give us a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That 180 degree thing probably makes a bit more sense. However most people would use the rhs lane for everything after 2nd exit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The problem is

A) Roundabouts are cheap and sh1t solutions to traffic problems, they are over relied on.
    B) The RoTR are wholly inadequate. They cover the simplest form of roundabout and that's it.

I think roundabouts are better alternatives to traffic lights, they (city/county councils) seem to be putting them all over place to use up their funds so that they can get more money next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think roundabouts are better alternatives to traffic lights, they (city/county councils) seem to be putting them all over place to use up their funds so that they can get more money next year!

I believe that in city centres traffic lights are better. They can be adjusted so that the heavier flow of traffic gets priority. On a roundabout every entrance has the same priority which is madness if one of the entrances has a known heavy flow. As an example lets look at the new roundabout on the Dublin road for Castleconnell(not in the city I know but it highlights the problem). Traffic coming from Dublin has to give right of way to traffic from Castleconnell. That is crazy, people even exploit this. I am aware it is a temporary fix until the bridge is built but that kind of scenario should be avoided at all costs, that's hard to do with roundabouts.

Couple that with poor rules of the road and the varying design of them, I think roundabouts are a disaster.

In fairness to them, they work well with light traffic.

When I think of my drive to work, the 3 biggest delays are the new roundabout on the Dublin road for Castleconnell, Finnegans roundabout and the Quality/Maldron hotel roundabout at the end of the hqdc link road/bypass. It looks like there are solutions being worked on for these 3 so all will be well in a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It dose not matter if the road is an L or R road, it dose not matter the number of exits.
    going from the city to tipp the tipp exit is at 12oc so you use the left hand lane unless the road is marked otherwise
    LB
    This 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock thing is nonsense, there is nothing in the Rules of the Road book about this as regards how to navigate a roundabout. I've mentioned this so called 'clock rule' to my cousin who's a driving instructor many times and he doesn't know who came up with it either.

Roundabout rules are simple:
    1st and 2nd exits - outside lane
    Any subsequent exits - inside lane.

Its not hard.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    When I think of my drive to work, the 3 biggest delays are the new roundabout on the Dublin road for Castleconnell, Finnegans roundabout and the Quality/Maldron hotel roundabout at the end of the hqdc link road/bypass. It looks like there are solutions being worked on for these 3 so all will be well in a few years :D

Finnegans got bigger so there is no point in going around it anymore to get ahead of everyone in the LHS lane.

You must be leaving later than 8am if you are being caused hassle on the two other roundabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Glad I brought up the roundabout question...(albeit again).

My belief is first two exits take the left lane, any subsequent exits take the right. However my personal favourite is the Tipperary rd. one outside Keoghs. If you try doing that there you get clobbered. So whats the solution?

Well, I believe that it comes from my other pet hate, road signs painted on the road. How the hell you are supposed to know what lane goes where in heavey traffic I'll never know, but why not use overhead signs as per many other countries?

I believe that they should be placed at roundabouts to designate what lane to use and at juntions to designate what lane goes where if its different from the rules of the road.

Regarding the roundabouts, I would like to see a definative answer on this somewhere as Im sure it will impact on an insurance claim someday for someone reading this.

Good discussion tho :)

Xennon wrote: »
    Glad I brought up the roundabout question...(albeit again).

My belief is first two exits take the left lane, any subsequent exits take the right. However my personal favourite is the Tipperary rd. one outside Keoghs. If you try doing that there you get clobbered. So whats the solution?

Well, I believe that it comes from my other pet hate, road signs painted on the road. How the hell you are supposed to know what lane goes where in heavey traffic I'll never know, but why not use overhead signs as per many other countries?

I believe that they should be placed at roundabouts to designate what lane to use and at juntions to designate what lane goes where if its different from the rules of the road.

Regarding the roundabouts, I would like to see a definative answer on this somewhere as Im sure it will impact on an insurance claim someday for someone reading this.

Good discussion tho :)
    as I said above, the 180degree rule was given to me by AIM while on Hibernian's ignition course. So technically I was told by the insurance company that this was the rule I was to follow.

zuroph wrote: »
    as I said above, the 180degree rule was given to me by AIM while on Hibernian's ignition course. So technically I was told by the insurance company that this was the rule I was to follow.

These are the same people that tell you to brake when somebody is tailgaiting you. I did the same course in 2001.

hey, in both instances, you're not in the wrong. :D

Oh women drivers!! Do they not know how to use indicators?? Also at the Regional Hospital roundabout earlier, i had stopped in LHL waiting for someone on the roundabout to finish their manouvere so i could make my way straight on, and yes a young woman driver comes and stops beside me in the RHL, i have better acceleration so i continue in outer orbital route (thanks Berty) and she takes the inside, again no indicator and comes right into the side of my car. Dozy bint, blew her off the road! And she stopped! Good enough for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oh women drivers!! Do they not know how to use indicators?? Also at the Regional Hospital roundabout earlier, i had stopped in LHL waiting for someone on the roundabout to finish their manouvere so i could make my way straight on, and yes a young woman driver comes and stops beside me in the RHL, i have better acceleration so i continue in outer orbital route (thanks Berty) and she takes the inside, again no indicator and comes right into the side of my car. Dozy bint, blew her off the road! And she stopped! Good enough for her!

Had a similar situation with some scumbag in an (ancient small) SUV at Groody roundabout not so long ago...except the outer route is left only which the cvnt failed to realise....I continued while blowing the horn, he overtook me, blocked me in, got out and roared at me...I proceeded straight to Roxboro...said I didn't want to waste their time but wanted to have it noted...gave a description and reg of vehicle as well as the driver. Nice Garda said if I wanted to make a complaint don't feel like I'm wasting their time, but she'd keep an eye out and try ad cause him a bit of hassle if she saw the car:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

No they are not. The bus lane ends and opens up a small section for people to turn left. The traffic going ahead(2nd exit) into the city needs to stay in the right hand lane and take the inner orbital route of the roundabout.

I have designed and built roundabouts as an Engineer for the NRA and I can assure you I am correct.

I went through this again coming from the southcourt direction. Bus lane on left ends just before roundabout, no signage saying anything, so i go into brand new left lane to take the second turn off the roundabout, as said in rules of the road.
    If we are supposed to use the right lane, should it not say so? My esp isnt working today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I want to feel part of the discussion so ill tell you all my latest incident of driver ignorance!

Was coming out of town via the condell road. I get to the clonmacken roundabout, in RHL, indicator on to turn right, going for third exit.

Everything is fine and dandy until im passing the second exit, i see a car approaching and she aint slowing down, she doesnt even look my way, i ended up slamming on my brakes so i wouldnt crash into the side of her, fúcking beeped her out of it aswel .

Wagon.

I want to feel part of the discussion so ill tell you all my latest incident of driver ignorance!

Was coming out of town via the condell road. I get to the clonmacken roundabout, in RHL, indicator on to turn right, going for third exit.

Everything is fine and dandy until im passing the second exit, i see a car approaching and she aint slowing down, she doesnt even look my way, i ended up slamming on my brakes so i wouldnt crash into the side of her, fúcking beeped her out of it aswel .

Wagon.

Some people:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wagon.
    And they say Men cause more accidents! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Another thing, why is it some people think you *have* to stop at a roundabout!! I nearly went into the back of this stupid micra driver yesterday, I checked to the right, nothing coming or even approaching the mini roundabout....the micra driver decided to stop and give way to fck all! She then vered into the right hand lane and used the 1st exit....drives me mad and then I get shouted at from the other half because I am getting wound up, beeping the horn etc and generally annoyed! pfffff.......1..2...3 and relax :p

anoble66 wrote: »
    Another thing, why is it some people think you *have* to stop at a roundabout!! I nearly went into the back of this stupid micra driver yesterday, I checked to the right, nothing coming or even approaching the mini roundabout....the micra driver decided to stop and give way to fck all! She then vered into the right hand lane and used the 1st exit....drives me mad and then I get shouted at from the other half because I am getting wound up, beeping the horn etc and generally annoyed! pfffff.......1..2...3 and relax :p

Haha i know how you feel, gets me so angry too!

Nothing worse than getting beeped at by someone who clearly is in the wrong, makes me want to get out of my car and do some serious damage to that person! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

And they say Men cause more accidents! :rolleyes:

They have more accidents while they avoid women. ;)

Jumpy wrote: »

Send that to all the gob****es out there!

I was told recently that the dual carriageway from Maldron roundabout to Finnegans roundabout is 120km limit!! And they have the mapping to proove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I am telling you, if that was printed and sent to every home in Ireland we would see a lot of reductions in roundabout accidents...and a reduction on my rage levels :)

Send that to all the gob****es out there!

I was told recently that the dual carriageway from Maldron roundabout to Finnegans roundabout is 120km limit!! And they have the mapping to proove it!

The road itself is capable of a maximum speed of 160kph. When we were building said road the Gardai asked us to drive up and down at high speed so they could test the best location for their speed traps. It was great fun getting caught by a speed gun at well over 180kph.

When the roundabouts are removed by the flyover and the entire motorway is open then the speed limit will be improved from 100 to 120kph but not until then.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »

That's incorrect in the case of the roundabout at Pat Keoghs. If you disbelieve this, retake your driving test and use that roundabout.

Advertisement