Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Lane Cutting

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »
    The road itself is capable of a maximum speed of 160kph. When we were building said road the Gardai asked us to drive up and down at high speed so they could test the best location for their speed traps. It was great fun getting caught by a speed gun at well over 180kph.

When the roundabouts are removed by the flyover and the entire motorway is open then the speed limit will be improved from 100 to 120kph but not until then.

SO where are the best locations Berty? I think i know two anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SO where are the best locations Berty? I think i know two anyway!

Contrary to our suggested locations the Gardai seem to prefer to use their own. Our suggested located have their own slips up off the roadway like on the northbound carraigeway after the Tipperary flyover. These are good locations but the Gardai do not do speed checks on the section from the John Carew Park Link road to Finnegans roundabout for some reason. I say because I have never ever seen one even though they have a perfect position after the flyover and you will not see them until its too late.

The perfect locations they use are on the southbound carraigeway under the Tipperary flyover, on the southbound offramp from the Dooradoyle exit, Patrickswell exit and the unmarked loves the offramp by the southern Patrickswell/Adare offramp.

On the northbound section the marked traffic corps will ALWAYS use the patrickswell north offramp. They cannot use the other offramps and merge lanes because there is no suitable area to pull over to use their speed guns.

Every so often a traffic corps Garda stands between the Patrickswell and Cork flyover in the hard shoulder but he is noticable from a considerable distance so if you get caught there then you deserve it.

Contrary to belief the Gardai cannot enforce the speed rules in the construction area's by the roundabout because in order for the Gardai for work in those areas they must have a safe pass which they dont so unless they can catch you before the roadworks then you wont see them and there are no suitable areas other than the hardshoulder to operate a speed check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ninty9er wrote: »
    That's incorrect in the case of the roundabout at Pat Keoghs. If you disbelieve this, retake your driving test and use that roundabout.

We have already overdone this discussion in another thread. I have never seen any drivers do what was posted in the first post of that other thread and yet I still drive that way daily.

Our suggested located have their own slips up off the roadway like on the northbound carraigeway after the Tipperary flyover.

The perfect locations they use are on the southbound carraigeway under the Tipperary flyover

I know the one after the Tipp road flyover! You see it, its right near the sign. You will only notice if you look for it! Seen a garda there once! Saw him at the top of the hill before i went under the flyover, so I wasnt caught that time!

The second location, which is under the flyover coming from Finnegans, I have seen them pull someone over there! But didnt see any speed trap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

• Advertisement

What is it with people braking for no reason?! It really annoys me! Driving back from nenagh this evening, the car in front kept breaking at certain points! Such people should not be allowed drive

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

What is it with people braking for no reason?! It really annoys me! Driving back from nenagh this evening, the car in front kept breaking at certain points! Such people should not be allowed drive

Had a bad day then :rolleyes:

Had a bad day then :rolleyes:

Nope not really?! Just hate when people cant read the road ahead of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

FYP

you just put the bit after the "v=" between youtube tags for it to work.

• Advertisement

Okay, it works differently on other sites of php-based software

Okay, it works differently on other sites of php-based software
    yip, problem is the youtube tags are user generated coding, so whoever came up with this one took the short cut of the video id only, so he didnt have to factor for all the different address starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If like the Groody roundabout there are two lanes entering and two lanes leaving the Dublin-Limerick/Limerick-Dublin direction then you may enter the roundabout in the right hand lane, navigate the roundabout in the inner orbital lane and exit at the second exit.
    But there's 3 lanes entering the roundabout on the Dublin Road sides! There used to be 3 lanes on the roundabout as well but when they resurfaced it they only painted two. If I'm coming from Castletroy on the Dublin Road and continuing towards the Parkway I will enter the centre "lane" and drive along the centre line on the roundabout. Why have 3 entries and two lanes on the roundabout? Madness!

Also, regarding that roundabout outside the regional - my driving instructor told me to use the bus lane when going straight ahead (from Raheen) as the broken lines suggest it stops being a bus lane and nothing suggests it's any different from any other normal rounadbout with 4 exits. This is obviously something that has not been made clear to the road users.

I was also led to believe the 12 o'clock rule was correct, and the ROTR was misleading because it seemed to only cover 4-exit roundabouts all at exactly 90 degrees (I forget if they made things clearer with the new version). So for example, on the Moylish roundabout (outside LIT) if I was coming from town and going to the Cratloe Road I would use the right lane - 9 out 10 people I have met on this roundabout do the same, and only use the left lane for going down the Ring Road (the one going down the middle of Brookville Ave.).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

But there's 3 lanes entering the roundabout on the Dublin Road sides! There used to be 3 lanes on the roundabout as well but when they resurfaced it they only painted two. If I'm coming from Castletroy on the Dublin Road and continuing towards the Parkway I will enter the centre "lane" and drive along the centre line on the roundabout. Why have 3 entries and two lanes on the roundabout? Madness!

There are 3 lanes entering the groody roundabout and 2 lanes exiting it, on both sides of the roundabout, the very far left lane, at both sides, is for exiting to the left, ie plassey road, leaving the city and groody link road coming into the city.....the middle lane is straight on only....at both sides of the roundabout and the right hand lane is for straight on and right.

So if i'm coming in from castletroy and i want to head for ballysimon, i'd take the right hand lane to go down the groody link road, if i was going to the city or UL i'd take the right lane, and if i was heading for the childers road or the parkway i'd take the middle lane.

I personally think that this is one of the better laid out roundabouts in the city.

Agreed foinse,

Its a roundabout design not seen in Limerick before so people need to observe the road markings where the left lane shows a left arrow so it should not be rocket science.

As I drive all over the country I can tell you that a lot of counties have many different ways of negotiating a roundabout. On one road in Tralee there are 3 roundabouts with 3 different ways of negotiating them and I have never once had an issue. The first coming in from Castleisland(at the Ford dealers) you must stay in the right hand lane taking the second exit, then next you must stay in the right hand lane, the next you must stay in the left lane and so on and so forth in different manners.

My point is that in Tralee and Mayo(more so) they have changed the roadmarkings to ensure drivers use the best lanes for negotiating a roundabout completely against the ROTR or the driving instructors suggestions so to learn in those areas you must treat every roundabout differently.

Like we should be doing in Limerick from now on. From experience if Limerick city council or Limerick county council change the road markings to better use our roundabouts people will just continue to negotiate them they way they always have save for a few who will observe the new rules.

Was driving up the Childers road last night and i took the left hand lane to drive straight on, when going by the clock method i should have taken the the right hand lane?!?

I think its even more confusin now than ever! If there are four exits i think i will just continue using the same manouvere as before. LHL for 1st and 2nd exits, RHL for 3rd and 4th!

Krupps Roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Was driving up the Childers road last night and i took the left hand lane to drive straight on, when going by the clock method i should have taken the the right hand lane?!?

I think its even more confusin now than ever! If there are four exits i think i will just continue using the same manouvere as before. LHL for 1st and 2nd exits, RHL for 3rd and 4th!

Krupps Roundabout

Dont bother with that clock method.

If its first or second exist you stay in LHL and if its anything more then RHL.

Can be annoying for example if the 2nd exit is way around the roundabout but its the rules afterall!

I thought about this on the Parkway roundabout today. The clock method and the LHL/RHL.

I was coming along the childers road and wanted to go to Aldi down the old Dublin road. By all rights I should have been in the RHL and by the clock method I should have been in the LHL. I choose the RHL because that is the way I observe roundabouts unless directed otherwise.

I did feel after making crossing the roundabout that those people coming from Clare Street direction might assume I was going towards the new dublin road and come onto the roundabout so possibly in that instance the left lane would have been more suitable.

I still have not fully decided on what was the best way to cross the rounadbout but by the ROTR I was correct.

Hmm thats a fair point Berty. I am just trying to picture it now! I might actually be inclined to take the LHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i try to go by ROTR if at all possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hmm thats a fair point Berty. I am just trying to picture it now! I might actually be inclined to take the LHL.

LHL...I'd be inclined to say it's not past 180 degrees.

ninty9er wrote: »
    LHL...I'd be inclined to say it's not past 180 degrees.

won't work because from RHL you're entitled to take the second exit if you so wish. (unless the road markings indicate otherwise, of course)
    now imagine someone else trying to take the third exit at the same time from LHL... :eek:

electron wrote: »
    won't work because from RHL you're entitled to take the second exit if you so wish. (unless the road markings indicate otherwise, of course)
    now imagine someone else trying to take the third exit at the same time from LHL... :eek:
    lol, what?! ur not entitled to take the second exit from RHL. under any twist of the law, there. its way less than 180degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

electron wrote: »

I have only ever seen that done by Bus Éireann at rush hour, but it's ALWAYS done when I see a Bus Éireann bus on that roundabout at rush hour.

zuroph wrote: »
    lol, what?! ur not entitled to take the second exit from RHL. under any twist of the law, there. its way less than 180degrees.

um no, where'd you get that?

Advertisement