Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your profession

• 16-01-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Just really to find out what sort of people listen to metal / rock....I am an accountant - really heavy metal...lol:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Computer engineer. I find there's a lot of metal fans in IT for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Software Developer. What is it with IT and Metal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DLiam007

I'm a Sales & Marketing Manager. I love Metallica. The S&M albumn is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

KTRIC wrote: »
    Computer engineer. I find there's a lot of metal fans in IT for some strange reason.

It's because traditional metalhead stereotypes of being lazy, incompetent and hairy are the sought-after traits of IT staff :P

And what better way to take down the System from the inside!

Oh and I am a suit-wearing bank monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

fobster wrote: »

And what better way to take down the System from the inside!

F*ck , how'd you find out about that !!! Thats a trade IT/Metal head secret :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Civil Engineer :pac:
    Most of the metal folk around here would be in the IT trade though, metal and computers just seem to get along (might be all the metal in a PC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

retail, although i want to work in IT. and i dont listen to much (modern) metal as i think its ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Self employed Joiner, got a sound system in the workshop, brother's into seriously heavy stuff so we mix and play what we both like.Loud.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Full time dreamer...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i work in retail. not many metal heads where i work sadly:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Am now a full time student and also work as a graphic designer and also am involved in film/tv in production, writer, stills photographer and occasional English language tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Car sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Insurance - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Thank God for Rock n'Roll, keeps me from going insane !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Final year Computer Science student. +1 for nerdy metal fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Recruitment Officer in the public service :(

My office consists of pop tarts who love listening to Today fm/2fm all day and because I hate all that sh!t, I'm the weird one :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

omg Nightwish.........

Can't you request some decent radio time at work for yourself? (to stay sane) Maybe listen to some online radio stations yourself?

Today FM and 2FM......my condolences. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I worked as a TEFL teacher, ugh not a pleasant job...most of the others didn't like metal except one chick, she was cool. Aspiring to be either an academic or a computer graphics artist, I'm not sure at the moment but in any case its back to the promised land (college). I don't understand, metal is self evidently amazing, everyone should be made like it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I work in IT and I'm the metal one in the company. I was even deemed the Head Of Metal \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

did you get a shiny hat?
    a personalised mug?
    ANYTHING?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

As the sig maybe suggests ... Web Dev / Graphics / Design / Space Monkey .... :)

Most people think I've got pretty weird music taste though :D .. it'll go from scooter to Fear Factory depending on my mood and what I'm doing. If I'm working it'll usually be some form of trance / goa / psy type music as I find the lyrics distract me a fair bit so I listen to repetitive music a lot and drink WAY too much caffeine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Computer Engineer also but have never worked with anyone else into metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Thinking about it I've never really worked with anyone into metal .. in my last company I was working with a guy who used play in a band called "Sonic Violence" and they had some weird industrial / metal type stuff in the uk in the erm late 80's / 90's I think ... very cool guy made working in the company worthwhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

Nightwish wrote: »

My office consists of pop tarts who love listening to Today fm/2fm all day and because I hate all that sh!t, I'm the weird one :(:(

Have to sympathise there hah, Im a student but work part-time in a bakery and I work mainly right beside the radio which is on Q102 most of the time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I work in construction.........the in office type construction work.
    No one listens to metal in my line of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A few years ago I was in Systems Administration above a factory so we used to get the daytime radio piped in over speakers into the office. I was often in first so I used to go to the volume control and lower it so that you could just about hear the radio but you could easily filter it out as just background noise.
    I really grew to detest the inane chatter and repeated playlists of daytime radio and I was only in that job for six months.
    fobster wrote: »
    It's because traditional metalhead stereotypes of being lazy, incompetent and hairy are the sought-after traits of IT staff :P
    I dunno about being lazy and incompetent but I'm definitely hairy and I'm also a computer programmer so I'd have to be a metal head wouldn't I? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

2nd year Computer Science & Software Engineering student here. Though I listen to a lot of different metal, it's not solely what I listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

electroic technician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mp3guy wrote: »
    Though I listen to a lot of different metal, it's not solely what I listen to.
    That's a good point which I left out of my previous post. If I'm trying to concentrate in work, sometimes metal can be too distracting. I'll start nodding my head or tapping out the drum beat with my hands and feet :).

Ambient or classical music can be great for just filtering out the noise of others in the office but not requiring any concentration to listen to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Maybe you're 'the weird one' because the 'pop tarts' know that that's what you think of them :rolleyes:

I'm a researcher, but do some part-time teaching in 3rd level too. I like metal, but mainly I'm a classic rock listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I work in a call centre and there's about 12 of us in total.. 4 of us are into metal.. last job was similar and there was alot of metal heads.. I think call centres draw in metal heads too!

Advertisement