Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Clean Install

Options
  • 16-01-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hope this is the right area to post this.:confused:

The family desktop had gotten very slow so I decided to take the drastic action of reinstalling Windows XP.

Everything is working a lot quicker now but I now have a problem scrolling down pages on the internet. It no longer smoothly scrolls down, instead it is very jerky and the whole page flows down from the top of the screen each time I scroll.

Any ideas what I've down wrong or forgotten to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure you've installed all the updates for Windows and any other software, including graphics card driver.

How much RAM do you have? Too little can cause this sort of behaviour, as can heavy multimedia content on a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Check something as basic as the mouse scroll speed settings in control panel - new install, they'll be back at default. Maybe the mouse needs a driver? Check the support site for your mouse. And most obviously, are you *only* getting this web surfing, or are you getting it in other apps as well?

A good trick for stuttering PC's is to open the task manager, then go to the process tab, and click on the "CPU" column - so that "system idle process" is at the top. Then go to View - Update speed - High. Now, when your system stutters, you'll be able to see the name of the process that's causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you checked out the mouse proprties in the control panel. perhaps you are scrolling 3 lines per wheel turn rather than just 1 ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure you update the video card drivers... Pritty sure thats the issiue

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BrightonBhoy

samhail wrote: »
    have you checked out the mouse proprties in the control panel. perhaps you are scrolling 3 lines per wheel turn rather than just 1 ?
    Thanks, that was set to 3 lines has improved the speed now of scrolling down. It still starts at the top of the screen and seems to re-download the whole page though. I will try some of the other suggestions, thanks again.

• Advertisement

Check something as basic as the mouse scroll speed settings in control panel - new install, they'll be back at default. Maybe the mouse needs a driver? Check the support site for your mouse. And most obviously, are you *only* getting this web surfing, or are you getting it in other apps as well?

A good trick for stuttering PC's is to open the task manager, then go to the process tab, and click on the "CPU" column - so that "system idle process" is at the top. Then go to View - Update speed - High. Now, when your system stutters, you'll be able to see the name of the process that's causing it.

Thanks for your suggestions, It scrolls as normal on text documents. I checked the task manager and the two processes with the highest mem usage as I scroll down on a web page are taskmgr.exe and iexplore.exe, do you know is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

yeah that's normal. If there was something else causing your machine to stutter, it would show up. Graphics card drivers are probably at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds about normal. I'd say possibly video drivers also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Definately sounds like a graphics driver. You'll notice really a poor refresh rate when dragging windows arcoss the screen.

As I said its Graphics Card Driver, please install the latest drivers for the machines video card

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    As I said its Graphics Card Driver, please install the latest drivers for the machines video card

Nick

Bingo, have updated the graphics card driver and that has done the trick.

Thank you all for your help.:)

Bingo, have updated the graphics card driver and that has done the trick.

Thank you all for your help.:)
    Not a prob

Nick

Advertisement