Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 advice please

Options
  • 16-01-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

It might sound like changing like for like, but I am considering trading in my 99 Golf 1.4 (90k) for a 00 A3 Ambition 1.6 with 116k on the clock.

For starters, can someone enlighten me as to what the Ambition part means?
    Also, did the A3 model change around 00 and how can I find out which one I am looking at?

Any advice at all would be appreciated here folks, I've never owned an Audi, what are the main pitfalls for an A3 of this age?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

well qmac,
    where do i start if i were you id steer clear of that A3,with 116k on the clock its a bit like a time bomb to be honest well it was for me,a few years ago i bought an audi A4 1.6 se and had nothing but trouble from it, when i got it it had 98k on the clock and within 3 months i had to replace the gearbox.the car went grand for a while but then more problems catalytic converter,exaust,abs sensors,clutch,central locking,to name a few.my car never had an nct cert because i gave up trying.since my A4 i have only driven japanese cars and have never had problems with them.

i know alot of other people will tell you that A3s are great cars, you never know you might get lucky but its a no no from me.

whatever car you go for good luck with it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Had a new one a couple of years ago. After 2 steering racks and a catalytic converter and a few trips back to the dealer it was a very nice to drive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

qmac wrote: »
    It might sound like changing like for like, but I am considering trading in my 99 Golf 1.4 (90k) for a 00 A3 Ambition 1.6 with 116k on the clock.

Also, did the A3 model change around 00 and how can I find out which one I am looking at?

Any advice at all would be appreciated here folks, I've never owned an Audi, what are the main pitfalls for an A3 of this age?

Thanks

The A3 uses the same platform and uses the same engines (bar 1.4) as the Golf you have at the moment. It drives and handles similarly to the Golf too. The A3 got a small facelift in 2000, the noticable differences were the front headlights and indicators which became one unit.

Pre faclifted A3:
    CB4_1212162_5_830414.jpg

Post facelifted A3:
    CB4_1186395_2_894086.jpg

Ambition is the trim or spec similar to the Golf's baseline or Highline.

To be honest I don't think you are making any real progress or improvement in going from a 99 Golf upto a 00 Golf wearing a posh badge, with more mileage to boot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ironically, it's a desire to achieve something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

suits the audi then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭qmac

That's pretty sound advice guys, thanks.

The picture of the 00 model above is the actual car I have been looking at.

My problem is the Golf has been a bit of a money pit since I bought it in August, so I want to get something from a dealer with at least three to six months warranty and long NCT (like the one above).

I had my doubts about the 1.4 Golf in the first place, so I just want to get something more reliable, and possibly with a bit more poke - I'm being revved half to death on the M50 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are you trading in the Golf or are you going to sell privatly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

:)
    That's pretty sound advice guys, thanks.

The picture of the 00 model above is the actual car I have been looking at.

My problem is the Golf has been a bit of a money pit since I bought it in August, so I want to get something from a dealer with at least three to six months warranty and long NCT (like the one above).

I had my doubts about the 1.4 Golf in the first place, so I just want to get something more reliable, and possibly with a bit more poke - I'm being revved half to death on the M50 at the moment.

Buy a focus.
    Far superior to a A3.:)

Are you trading in the Golf or are you going to sell privatly?

Selling privately is a nightmare at the moment, so I'm trading in.

groupb wrote: »
    :)

Buy a focus.
    Far superior to a A3.:)

I must admit that the Focus is the second car on the list of possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Focus is a great car, I'd rate it over the Golf/A3 any day. The diesel is a great engine, but the petrol isn't bad either. The most popular in Ireland was the 1.4 petrol, which I have and am in two minds about changing at the mo, is grand, IF a little underpowered, which then leaves it harder on stuff. The 1.6 is better, with the 1.8 petrol being the best trade off between power and juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Selling privately is a nightmare at the moment, so I'm trading in.

Out of curiousity, what are they allowing you?

My car plus €2,500 to change - so €2,250 for the Golf against the A3.
    Although I haven't been back to haggle yet.

Advertisement