Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 Passt Tdi Noise

Options
  • 16-01-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

130kms. 1.9tdi, Timing belt done 10,000kms ago.

Right so, a knocking sound when you are acceleratoring, when you take your foot off the accelerator it going away. The noise is intermitant. Noise coming from the front of the car.

Any idea's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

130kms. 1.9tdi, Timing belt done 10,000kms ago.

Right so, a knocking sound when you are acceleratoring, when you take your foot off the accelerator it going away. The noise is intermitant. Noise coming from the front of the car.

Any idea's?

The engine in your car is a transaxle set up, which puts the timing belt assembly at the very front of the car just behind the radiator. I've seen this problem before and I'm fairly sure that the cause of it in your case is the alternator belt tensioner assembly. This tensioner has a hydraulic damper that keeps tension on the alternator belt and they can cause trouble and causes a knocking noise when accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sound man, so what's the cure?

New belt, tighten it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Universal joint? Does it happen when you steer and accelerate from a stand still.

Have a look at the pics attached, this is a VW Passat alternator belt tensioner, but you'll need to give VW your chassis number in order to get the right part for your car as it could be slightly different from the part I've posted here.

Also, get this diagnosed fully by a mechanic before buying the part because it isn't cheap, I think around 120-150 Euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The engine in your car is a transaxle set up, which puts the timing belt assembly at the very front of the car just behind the radiator. I've seen this problem before and I'm fairly sure that the cause of it in your case is the alternator belt tensioner assembly. This tensioner has a hydraulic damper that keeps tension on the alternator belt and they can cause trouble and causes a knocking noise when accelerating.
    06 is the new passat, thats mounted sideways, I did a timing belt in one before.

• Advertisement

Yeah your right there, but the alternator belt will still have a tensioner, so I'd advise checking this out as this is what it sounds like.

Advertisement