Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the power's out!

Options
  • 16-01-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

The power has been out now for the past 30 minutes in my place and what looks like the whole shantalla area as well

Is it out anywhere else

There must be something fun to do do but all I've got so far is a walk in the dark and boards on the mobile. .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Working on newcastle road but the UPC won't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah, street lights on Newcastle Road are gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Must be a partial outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just got back into town, it comes back on at the shops 1/2 way up Shantalla Rd.
    Rahoon and beyond seem fine.

No problems out Lurgan Park side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got an outage for about 30seconds, fine since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Same as above, pretty much flickered on and off, seems fairly steady now *touches wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Back now in Shantalla thankfully. Just in time too, my laptop's battery was about to die. :eek: You know you've an addiction to the net/boards.ie when you put your laptop on battery and root out your old 3modem. Sigh, good to be back on proper b/b now.

Wonder what caused the outtage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Light flickered here twice. I have about 10 hours of Laptop batteries here so I can watch movies if I get bored in the dark. Have the candles handy too. I swore I'd never use a standard modem again.

There was a warning regearding the weather in Galway this weekend:

Fri 16th January 2009
    A severe weather warning has been issued for Galway and the West for tomorrow.

Met Éireann says winds could gust up to 140 kilometres an hour along the coast and over high ground.

Heavy rainfall is also expected in Galway, Mayo, Sligo Leitrim and Roscommon, with flooding likely.

Very high seas may also cause additional flooding in coastal areas of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That must have been why our broadband was down a while ago - our broadband exchange is in Shantalla I think. But we had no power outage ourselves, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Had two instances of flickering here too. Candles at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Had a few flickers here too, in Rahoon, it made my pc re-start a few times but all seems fine now.

Is the end of the world coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

sounds like ye guys are gonna be in for a nice night alright !

Wait, the broadband was down? Maybe that's why we couldn't get it to work earlier .. hm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some of Shop St / Mainguard St went out for five minutes around that time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Yea came back after 2 hours or so,

TYou know you really arent prepared fot these things when your only source of light is a laptop screen!
    Hopefully it wont happen again with the storm and all.

*races out to buy batteries and petrol*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Y'all, anyone else in the dark, no electrons buzzing around Menlo for past two hours..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

NTL (tv and internet) cut out a couple of times today.

Thinking about it I have no heat or light if the power goes.

Out at home in the country where overhead powerlines + falling trees make power cuts much more frequent we are much better prepared with torches, candles and a small generator.

The big generator was stolen from my sisters' site just after some tarmacadamers were around.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Doughiska has so far held up, with this weather. But we have had the odd flicker here and there.

Advertisement