Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Met Éireann warns snow and ice to follow today's winds and rain

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0117/1232059657221.html
    Monday and Tuesday are expected to be very cold, with snow and ice expected in many parts, before milder weather returns on Wednesday.

Met Éireann forecaster Joan Blackburn said temperatures would be similar during the day to the cold snap around the Christmas period, but, while that period was dry, next week is likely to see extensive sleet and snow.

The wind means that temperatures at night will be higher than of late, but it will feel colder during the day because of the wind-chill factor.

“We had cold but dry conditions over the Christmas,” Ms Blackburn said. “That does not look likely to be the case in this set-up.

“We are looking at hail, sleet and snow showers. The western and northern counties will get them first, and get the worst of them, but there is a chance that it will spread to the south and east of the country.”

Temperatures will be no higher than 5 degrees during the day and they might not rise above freezing in some places where snow has fallen.

looking good for a bit of sneachta all right!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Looks good according to Met Eireanna Weather Check. Believe Believe!!!

It doesnt look good for us down in the south though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Now the models in chaos between tomorrow nights shortwave.

GFS = Far too mild away from north coast.

UKM = Possible snow event for all away from south and southeast coast.

Impossible to forecast.

Going to be a nowcast thing I reckon, this is going to be an all or nothing event, exciting stuff!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Ya its really a interesting one!! It could be epic . I suppose we will know more this evening how things are going.

Send out the good vibes everyone! BELIEVE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Do any of you rekon we could see snow as early as tonight, I just looked at the bbc forecast and it showed spots of white moving across Ireland for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Do any of you rekon we could see snow as early as tonight, I just looked at the bbc forecast and it showed spots of white moving across Ireland for tonight.

on high ground i'd say. jesus just had a severe gust there now:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i believe! i believe! it would make my day just to see some fall, but it seems its going to be a lot more than 'some fall', its gonna be SOME fall!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's my guess, snow or hail showers will become widespread in the western half of Ireland after midnight on very blustery west winds, temps near 1 or 2 C would indicate a slushy accumulation at lower elevations and snow on most of the higher ground lasting part of the day, then a period of more rain than snow later as winds back to southerly and temps rise to 4-5 C, another period of rather strong winds although nothing as bad as today, gusts to 45 or 50 mph though, turning westerly again late Sunday night early Monday, with another similar round of mostly western snow some of which could accumulate to 1-2 inches later Monday, no more mixing with rain this time as it continues to get colder and Tuesday could be the best day for more widespread snow chances, almost anywhere could see some then, although 2 or 3 inches the most anyone might expect. Another chance for snow with a warm front approaching Wednesday, then it's back to milder with rain for Thursday, ending the snowy period for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

danni2 wrote: »

Yep some very cold air wrapped around the LP should bring some sleet/hail/snow showers through from tonight alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Trotter wrote: »
    Lads I'll ask the annual question... Any snow for Waterford city?
    Better chance of SNOW in HELL.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

brack1.gif

UKMO is very different to the GFS for tomorrow nights snow prospects as WC mentions. Definately coming down to a now cast.

GFS 850's on the 6z op run was also an outlier for tomorrow night.

Valentia reporting Sleet and Thunder

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yup we had thunderz as well up here in Tralee earlier, dunno about sleet though, just a lot of rain and strong winds

UKMO 12z Tomorrow Night

00:00hrs
    UW36-21.GIF?17-18

UW36-7.GIF?17-18

06:00hrs
    UW42-21.GIF?17-18

UW42-7.GIF?17-18

Latest Fax Chart

brack0a.gif

Thats better...a small warmish sector but snow would be likely either way as the occlusion sweeps through. A bit of elevation and you will see snow.

My take on that would be sleet/snow
    > rain/sleet
    > sleet/snow - all in about 6 hours! Further North of Dublin/Meath may get away with snow right the way through.

South coast marginal rain/sleet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sleet falling in longford here now! just as im speaking, its gotten heavier out.

Yeah reported at Knock aswell

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

recent snow at knock

just saw that. just getting some fully fledged snow here now, though its pretty light for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Snowing here, quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heavy-enough snow falling here, huge flakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

rc28 wrote: »
    Heavy-enough snow falling here, huge flakes

Yah, same here in Enfield, seems to be coming down hard-ish and flakes seem to be big from my window. Keep on coming !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scall4life

Snowing heavy here outside Tullamore. Large flakes falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Ok guys, there has been a major upgrade on the RTE weather in relation to snow....

They have just announced that there is a "strong likelihood" of snow on Monday and Tuesday with highest temps of about 3oC (this would obviously fall in snow)

Funny to think that after that cold easterly that gave us nothing but cloudy weather, we will now get snow from the Atlantic!! :)

SnowFan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Sleet is now falling in Dublin 5!!

:)

Snowfan

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

snow/sleet falling in blanch, winds quite strong also... just sticking on cars and nothing else

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Heavy snow here in Swords .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very heavy snow here now, half an inch on the ground over past 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Snowing here in Ashbourne now.

There was lightning a few hours ago. Today's weather sure has been weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Almost an inch on the ground here and still snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Gonzo where are you....

if someone is posting "Its snowing here" please let us know, if its close to where I am, I may try to get a few photos etc tonight or in the morning..

Advertisement