Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

redsunset wrote: »
    no snow at all in east laois,very disappointed.hope it opens the heavens with it later

Can I get home safe first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

was just lookin at sky news forecast and they have a nice ball of wintry weather crossing the country.hits me around 3pm maybe.fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

It is snowing here now. Started off as sleet. Not sticking and looking on the radar will soon be gone. Better chance for those further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Things looking extremely interesting on the latest sattelite images on 2
    Almost polar low like to the west of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Very heavy snow here now from this band coming in from the west.

EDIT: Got about 10 mins of constant heavy snow, easing up now

EDIT 2: Strong again:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

blizzard like conditions here at the moment. the bbc charts shows a series of trough moving across the country this afternoon and later on tonight. so hopefully if the temperature does not rise with the troughs we could be in for a snowfest afterall:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

blizzard like conditions here at the moment. the bbc charts shows a series of trough moving across the country this afternoon and later on tonight. so hopefully if the temperature does not rise with the troughs we could be in for a snowfest afterall:D

Ya there is a hughe band due at 3 ish today. Looks unreal. BELIEVE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

although it is great to read that everywhere else is now seeing a deluge of snow i thought i would let you all know that it is dry and beautifully sunny in cork city, almost tropical you might say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kilkenny city is sunny and dry at the moment. Lying snow visible on distant high ground.

Go to Met.ie and see that big mass on its way from the west. There is going to be a lot of snow coming!!

• Advertisement

dedon wrote: »
    Go to Met.ie and see that big mass on its way from the west. There is going to be a lot of snow coming!!

yep it has started here. although, just light hail and bits of snow so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

New warning out from the met.

Weather Warning

Issued at 19 January 2009 - 13:15
    Weather Warning Update

The cold wintry snap will continue, bringing further wintry showers. A more organised band of showers will move in from the Atlantic later today and tonight and this will lead to snowfall accumulations of 2 to 5 cm, with high ground most at risk.
    Warning valid 12:00 hours Monday 19/1/2009
    to 12:00 Tuesday 20/1/2009

yep it has started here. although, just light hail and bits of snow so far.

Will there be much in it do you think? Looks like a big amount . Where are you based?

byrneno7 wrote: »
    New warning out from the met.

Weather Warning

Issued at 19 January 2009 - 13:15
    Weather Warning Update

The cold wintry snap will continue, bringing further wintry showers. A more organised band of showers will move in from the Atlantic later today and tonight and this will lead to snowfall accumulations of 2 to 5 cm, with high ground most at risk.
    Warning valid 12:00 hours Monday 19/1/2009
    to 12:00 Tuesday 20/1/2009

Hell Yeah!!

Will there be much in it do you think? Looks like a big amount . Where are you based?

Mayo.

Although the snow should be heavy, I doubt much of the snow will stick at lower level during the day to be honest. however overnight i think we could get 2- 3 inches of snow settling on the ground across alot of the west and midlands:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

go onto eumetsat.click on real time imagery.scroll down the page and click on mpe and there she blows folk just waitin to bury us in it.we hope

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

anyone care to explain why i have seen NO snow what so ever yet, im here on the coast in mayo,the sky is over cast, and out towards the ocean ther are weak litle showers that die and produce nothing when they come in, also all the showers seem to by pass and head for the mweelra mountains south of me, or stay out at sea to the north of me in clew bay,

has anyone else noticed met eireann says there could be significant snowfall this friday, as if, they couldn t forecast thier own ..... i dont no what,

at the least im extremely annoyed at the constant bad forecasting on their behalf, note how ther met.ie website consistently fails to be updated, its still saturday on their charts and the rainfall radar is stuck on sum graphic from 22 oo hrs on saturday, this isnt good enough...

it seemed last friday that widespread snowfall and accumulations was a high probability, but as usual they are back tracking, i have to say in all fairness MET EIREANN are A NATIONAL DISGRACE AS A STATE METEORLOGICAL SERVICE,:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

anyone care to explain why i have seen NO snow what so ever yet, im here on the coast in mayo,the sky is over cast, and out towards the ocean ther are weak litle showers that die and produce nothing when they come in, also all the showers seem to by pass and head for the mweelra mountains south of me, or stay out at sea to the north of me in clew bay,

has anyone else noticed met eireann says there could be significant snowfall this friday, as if, they couldn t forecast thier own ..... i dont no what,

at the least im extremely annoyed at the constant bad forecasting on their behalf, note how ther met.ie website consistently fails to be updated, its still saturday on their charts and the rainfall radar is stuck on sum graphic from 22 oo hrs on saturday, this isnt good enough...

it seemed last friday that widespread snowfall and accumulations was a high probability, but as usual they are back tracking, i have to say in all fairness MET EIREANN are A NATIONAL DISGRACE AS A STATE METEORLOGICAL SERVICE,:mad:

Don't know what you're talking about in relation to Met Eireann's website - as far as I can see everything is up to date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

light snow shower here in longford right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chalkie

i have to say in all fairness MET EIREANN are A NATIONAL DISGRACE AS A STATE METEORLOGICAL SERVICE,:mad:

I have to say, in all fairness, your post is inaccurate.

The Met.ie site is up to date. The radar map is showing Jan 19th (latest was 13:30). Maybe you need to familiarise yourself more with the navigation of the site or use your refresh button a bit more?

As for their forecast I do not think it ever went for HIGH probability of snow. Snow is notoriously difficult to forecast for any definite location. I think they have performed as well as can be expected in such a mobile set-up. Snow showers in places but also a lot of hail and rain showers too. I haven't seen any snow but I read the forecast and figured that, while there was a chance, it was an odds against event where I am. Still, a lot of snow on the mountain that was predicted.

I'd sooner listen to Met Eireann than a lot of other forecasts doing the rounds...

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It could turn out to be more rain/sleet than snow, don't get too excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

ok il admit i was somewhat over the top, iv calmed down and got all my toys back in my pram now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

in this image the front has grown bigger so more chance of snow then.and the air is blowing from canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chalkie

yansnow wrote: »
    in this image the front has grown bigger so more chance of snow then.and the air is blowing from canada.

...but the cold gets moderated by the long sea-path before it reaches here.

Certainly snow in places but by no means widespread.

Keep an eye on

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

bah. unfortunately the snow turned back to rain. it looks like Supercell's original prediction for today was accurate; he said the snow would likely give way to rain during the day that's what has happened here anyway. i thought with the bbc forecast on board we would get widespread snow today as they are usually fairly reliable in what they predict but alas it seems not to be the case today. still, **hopefully** tonight will deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Load of cobblers!
    I was expecting storms yesterday - Nada mucho, all we had was Sun and some wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That trough is falling as heavy snow in Abbeyfeale:
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=41.45

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Loadsasnow!
    IMG_1427.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ya lucky ducker! Thought you'd get a pasting!

Advertisement