Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It has been snowing heavy for 2 hours now up here!
    havent seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

wet snow in Cobh for the last hour or so

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I want snow :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Light snow falling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I want snow :( :pac:

We've gotta have a decent chance tonight.

It's all looking good but obviously its gonna go wrong somewhere:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Dublin Airport reporting sub-zero dewpoints anyway.

Its about a foot deep up at me now.Tis taking the OH an hour to travel 10 mins home from work!

The BIG snow of 09:eek::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

its quite a marginal snow affair in Cork city...it veers back and forth between icy rain and snow every couple of minutes so there must be marginal dew points affecting us here or colder air intermittantly displacing warmer surface air perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Eh? I'm near Mitchelstown and the place is white! Still snowing fairly heavily now.

just heavy rain here near Mallow..a bit sleety/snow for a brief period..suppose just shows how marginal it can be. has topped raining now..wonders is there much precipitation for later this evening?

We've gotta have a decent chance tonight.

It's all looking good but obviously its gonna go wrong somewhere:D

It always feckin does... Watch now later as the troughs do their very best to miss North Dublin - dumping snow everywhere else around us!

• Advertisement

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport reporting sub-zero dewpoints anyway.

Thats encouraging anyway.

Dublin Airport is somewhat elevated though isn't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light drizzely rain shower here, still not a flake since saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My dewpoint is negative at -0.4, I'm ready and waiting for that front, I just hope there is some power left in it by the time it gets to me, WC you know you will never see snow you just have to expect nothing than anything is a bonus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Raining horribly in Limerick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It always feckin does... Watch now later as the troughs do their very best to miss North Dublin - dumping snow everywhere else around us!

thats been happening all day:(
    The troughs fragment into nothing by the time they get here, rerun the met eireann radar over past few hours. I know there is loads of troughs coming but they keep breaking up past the midlands, I think were gonna be very lucky to see anything here by the morning, the western half of the country should be fantastic tho.

met eireann now sayin that showers will be confined to west and northern areas tonight and just scattered wintry showers tomorrow, I think thats it for the east really.

Do ye want a few more pics of the snow around me here?

I havent seen anything like it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Rain/sleet here :rolleyes: The temp is 2.8c and the DP 0.9c, not too far off the mark I guess, but still not good enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

It's raining now:( everywere else seems to be getting snow and I'm not, So is there any chance of temp dropping later or is that it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Reports of massive snow on the roads between Cork and Dublin north of Mitchelstown. Traffic doing a max of 20mph around kilbehenny

Do ye want a few more pics of the snow around me here?

I havent seen anything like it in years.

Yes do sounds good by all accounts where you are! maybe put them in the Weather Pictures thread though....

• Advertisement

homosapien wrote: »
    Yes do sounds good by all accounts where you are! maybe put them in the Weather Pictures thread though....

Grand so!

In Donegal on top of a mountain,even so its the worst(or best;))snow we have had for a long while!

Gonzo wrote: »
    thats been happening all day:(
    The troughs fragment into nothing by the time they get here, rerun the met eireann radar over past few hours. I know there is loads of troughs coming but they keep breaking up past the midlands, I think were gonna be very lucky to see anything here by the morning, the western half of the country should be fantastic tho.

met eireann now sayin that showers will be confined to west and northern areas tonight and just scattered wintry showers tomorrow, I think thats it for the east really.

Your being crazily negative mate!

That precip on the western seaboard should make it here.

What time do you estimate it hitting over here? Is the track not too far south also?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    It's raining now:( everywere else seems to be getting snow and I'm not, So is there any chance of temp dropping later or is that it??

i feel your pain:( awful depressing to hear of heavy snow in and around cork city and to get none here. no offense to anyone there i just mean it's unusual that i have none so far out of this setup

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Grand so!

In Donegal on top of a mountain,even so its the worst(or best;))snow we have had for a long while!

ah i figured you were on high ground. looking forward to your pictures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/'s snow reports:

Updated: 19/01/2009 17:03:12

*ROAD CONDITIONS* Driving conditions are varied with wet and slippery roads in most areas. There are strong gusts of wind to contend with in Connaught. Heavy snowfall is now being reported in the Northwest and the South. *N15/DONEGAL* Conditions on the N15 Donegal to Ballybofey road, the N56 Letterkenny to Creeslough road and all roads around Letterkenny town are treacherous due to heavy snowfall. This has resulted in a number of blocked roads. Gardai advise drivers to avoid the Barnesmore Gap although drivers tell us that it is passable with care. *LEITRIM* Motorists should drive with extreme care throughout the county as heavy snow and sleet has been reported. Particular caution is needed in Drumshanbo and Ballinaglearagh. *N21/LIMERICK* Drive with extreme care on the N21 between Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale where snow has resulted in hazardous conditions.

*CORK* There is snow fall on the N20 at Mallow, the N25 at Midleton and Gardai advise extreme care on M8 between Fermoy and Mitchelstown due to snow. *WICKLOW* Gardai are advising motorists to avoid the Sally Gap due to icy conditions. *LAOIS* Gardai are urging motorists to drive with care in Portlaoise due to sleety conditions. *KILDARE* Recent snow fall in Naas is leading to dangerous driving conditions. Drive with extreme care.

What time do you estimate it hitting over here? Is the track not too far south also?

No its not the band is just hitting the west now..

I reckon around 9-11pm it will arrive here.

I hope your right wc:)
    Its just a bit frustrating to see the west been hammered all day and so far they have failed to make it across to the east.

According to Met Eireann we have another big chance this friday:
    Friday: Continuing cold with sunny spells and wintry showers generally. However there is a risk of some heavy showers with a possibility of significant accumulations of snow.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I hope your right wc:)
    Its just a bit frustrating to see the west been hammered all day and so far they have failed to make it across to the east.

According to Met Eireann we have another big chance this friday:
    Friday: Continuing cold with sunny spells and wintry showers generally. However there is a risk of some heavy showers with a possibility of significant accumulations of snow.

What you thinking of Friday for!

Tomorrow morning is another amazing shot at snow.

• Advertisement

i feel your pain:( awful depressing to hear of heavy snow in and around cork city and to get none here. no offense to anyone there i just mean it's unusual that i have none so far out of this setup

Whre are you Nacho Libre? The precipitation appears to be following a NW -SE direction the bulk of which is now coming across the Shannon estuary and into the Galtee's and then into Waterford I presume..same said the snow reported in Donegal is going into Fermanagh, Tyrone and Monaghan I'd guess but radar echoes are weakening as it does so so perhaps it breaking up..hopefully more beefy showers will punch inland soon..

Advertisement