Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options
  • 16-01-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

I was given a one week ban from the soccer forum last night for hitting the "thanks" button on a post which had the poster banned by a mod. Then another mod came and banned every person who had thanked the poster. The reason giving was "Thanking abusive posts. Its a very sneaky way of abuse and you get the same punishment."

Now in my opinion the poster was not being so much abusive as taking the piss and being funny. He used the whole Roy Keane saipan incident and I along with half a dozen others thought it was hilarious and thanked it for that reason. Now in my opinion the poster was not being belligerent and posted only in jest.

I think being banned with hald a dozen others for "thanking" the post is harsh and could have been dealt with in another fashion. Red card and 7 day ban was extreme in my opinion. A yellow card and infraction would have been more appropriate.

Do I have a case here mods or am I wasting my time ? I sent a pm to the mod last night but I never recieved a reply ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

See this thread about the same thing: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458995

You don't have a case unless the original post you thanked wasn't abusive I reckon. Also you should post ban appeals in Help Desk too to stop people like me poking their nose in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

javaboy wrote: »
    See this thread about the same thing: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458995

You don't have a case unless the original post you thanked wasn't abusive I reckon. Also you should post ban appeals in Help Desk too to stop people like me poking their nose in. :)

After reading that I would not hold out much hope.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you thanked a post that was against the forum charter you get banned from the forum.
    Thems the rules.

Rubbish tbh. Stupid rule. I have thanked posts for their stupidity (because they make me laugh) as much as I have for their quality.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you thanked a post that was against the forum charter you get banned from the forum.
    Thems the rules.

Yes after reading the above link I understand that. I think that the mods need to get a better handle on things though. I have seen numerous incidents that go unpunished in the forum in question. Now I am not a tattle tail and dont report others posts (only if I felt it to be totally out of order).

I dont think its acceptable to ban one person for this incident and not another for a different incident which is clearly in violation of the forum charter. I know that mods can be busy but it really ruffles my feathers to get a ban for something less worthy imo than someone who actually said something out of order and deliberately violated the forum charter and was their intention to do so.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Yes after reading the above link I understand that. I think that the mods need to get a better handle on things though. I have seen numerous incidents that go unpunished in the forum in question. Now I am not a tattle tail and dont report others posts (only if I felt it to be totally out of order).

I dont think its acceptable to ban one person for this incident and not another for a different incident which is clearly in violation of the forum charter. I know that mods can be busy but it really ruffles my feathers to get a ban for something less worthy imo than someone who actually said something out of order and deliberately violated the forum charter and was their intention to do so.

So you expect the mods to read every single post then? If you don't report posts that you think violate the charter, you don't get to complain when nothing is done about them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Rubbish tbh. Stupid rule. I have thanked posts for their stupidity (because they make me laugh) as much as I have for their quality.

Stupidity is one thing, but posters have thanked posts which were clearly abuse against another user as a sneaky way of getting a dig in, which is every bit as bad as making the post originally.

So you expect the mods to read every single post then? If you don't report posts that you think violate the charter, you don't get to complain when nothing is done about them.

If I was to honestly report every post that I thought broke the forum charter I would get a reputation as a tattle tail and probably be ignored by the mods for the most part. It is not my job to report them in the first place. It is a convenience to mods that members report posts in the first place. It makes mods jobs a whole lot easier but leaves room for certain violations to slip through the net so to speak. It works both ways.

It makes mods jobs a whole lot easier but leaves room for certain violations to slip through the net so to speak. It works both ways.

Right then so you accept that some breaches of the charter are inevitably going to be missed if people don't report posts? How can you then complain about those posts being missed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The rules are clearly outlined. Every poster in soccer has read the rules and every poster has agreed to follow the rules.

The rules state that thanking a post that breaks the rules will get you infrated and/or banned (which reminds me, I never infracted anyone).

It's pretty simple, we give you access because you agee to abide by the rules.

The minute you break the rules, we revoke access.

I suggest you refresh your memory and read them again when your ban expires.

It's in the charter, you agreed to follow it. If you now no longer wish to follow it, let me know and I'll return your permissions to read-only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Guys, you can blame me for your ban if you like. When I read Killme00s post about being banned due to the thanks, I backed him up via PM, but as you can see, the ban stood.

Then when I saw all the people thanking Pigheads abusive post I PMed one of the mods asking were they going to go down the same route as Killme's ban and ban all the people who thanked the post, because the last thing I would've wanted to see were some people being banned for one thing and others getting away scot free for the same thing.

It may seem harsh, and I do think that certain rule needs to be looked at in more detail, but the fact is there's a specific post in the charter explaining that any thanking of an abusive post gets a ban.

That said, I'm happy to see the football mods bring some consistency to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So if we organised a mass thanking of a banned contribution would we have revolution?

Who's willing to lay down thier life and be martyr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    So if we organised a mass thanking of a banned contribution would we have revolution?
    I, for one, welcome our new troll overlords...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If I was to honestly report every post that I thought broke the forum charter I would get a reputation as a tattle tail and probably be ignored by the mods for the most part. It is not my job to report them in the first place. It is a convenience to mods that members report posts in the first place. It makes mods jobs a whole lot easier but leaves room for certain violations to slip through the net so to speak. It works both ways.
    A tattle tale?
    This isn't primary school.

We look at every reported post in our forums and judge them on the content.
    We don't laugh at people who constantly report posts. We actually prefer people report posts than end up here giving out about how the mods ignore certain stuff.

It's almost impossible to read every post in some forums. Soccer would be one of them.
    Reporting posts helps the mods work more efficiently and in turn keep their forums free of crap.
    Don't take it personally if a mod doesn't act on your reported post though.
    We generally go on instinct.
    What is acceptable to one mod may not be acceptable to another, but we discuss these things and 99.99999% of the time we all end up agreeing with each other.
    Mike65 wrote:

Who's willing to lay down thier life and be martyr
    I usually throw my hat into the ring for these things, but I don't have access to the soccer forum.
    No interest in it.

Right then so you accept that some breaches of the charter are inevitably going to be missed if people don't report posts? How can you then complain about those posts being missed?

If mods patrolled the forum more vigourously then nothing would slip through the net in the first place. If that means taking on another mod or two then so be it. Just out of curiousity who wrote the charter in the first palce. Was it a one man job or was there a consultation between other mods ? A suggestion would be to write a draft charter and then put it to the members of the said forum to vote on much the same as a referendum. I think that it would be a fair democratic process if every member of the forum was given a vote, no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A suggestion would be to write a draft charter and then put it to the members of the said forum to vote on much the same as a referendum. I think that it would be a fair democratic process if every member of the forum was given a vote, no ?

Heh! :D Can you imagine getting anything agreed with the input of forum users?

Anyway as the mantra goes, boards is not a democracy.

GuanYin wrote: »
    It's in the charter, you agreed to follow it. If you now no longer wish to follow it, let me know and I'll return your permissions to read-only.

I am following it.

Sorry but this is feedback and I haven't broken any rules. I've merely expressed my opinion on the rule. I didn't say I was gonna break it. You knew already my opinion on it pretty well, I'm just expressing it again here, it's nothing shocking or new to you to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

GuanYin wrote: »
    The rules state that thanking a post that breaks the rules will get you infrated and/or banned (which reminds me, I never infracted anyone).
    I respect that Soccer is a highly Volatile forum but Surely an Infraction for all Thanking Users would have been more appropriate?
    I, for one, welcome our new troll overlords...

Mike65 is a champ. Not a Troll.
    Mike65 wrote:

The Political parties are gathering already..
    Redout wrote:

You don't have to report each and every post, per sé. If a whole thread is getting burned down its sufficient to report the start of the derailment and mention in your report its not isolated to the one post.
    I would get a reputation as a tattle tail

Or as someone who respects the forum they post in.

julep wrote: »
    A tattle tale?
    This isn't primary school.

We look at every reported post in our forums and judge them on the content.
    We don't laugh at people who constantly report posts. We actually prefer people report posts than end up here giving out about how the mods ignore certain stuff.

In fairness you are but one mod and cannot speak for them all. There are some mods on here that if you were to believe the feedback by some members are on powertrips and should not be mods in the first place. Not saying that in my case as I have not read anything negative about that mod in particular. As for the school reference you could have fooled me. Some of the stuff that is said on here belongs in a school yard.

julep wrote: »
    I usually throw my hat into the ring for these things, but I don't have access to the soccer forum.
    No interest in it.

Hey Julep, you can still thank posts in Soccer so you could get pre-banned if you wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hilarious, so there were 15 people banned including Pighead?

Jaysus who was the mod having the bad day?

If mods patrolled the forum more vigourously then nothing would slip through the net in the first place. If that means taking on another mod or two then so be it.

So you do expect the mods to read every post then? It's simply not practical. Users have to do their bit as well.

Boggles wrote: »
    Hilarious, so there were 15 people banned including Pighead?

Jaysus who was the mod having the bad day?

15 ? Fuvk me. There was only 6 of us initially !

15 ? Fuvk me. There was only 6 of us initially !

14 people thanked the post.

Maybe some were in protest for their 6 fallen brothers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If I was to honestly report every post that I thought broke the forum charter I would get a reputation as a tattle tail and probably be ignored by the mods for the most part.

this happens

anyway.

fifteen people banned?

fúck sake like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Maybe some were in protest for there 6 fallen brothers. :D

which post was it?

edit.

lol

warning for this?

ffs.

peopole getting banned for thanking it is a complete joke.

it's clearly a parody of Roy Keane.

jaysis.

lighten up

Maybe some were in protest for their 6 fallen brothers. :D

+1. Brothers till the end. :D

viva_la_revolucion_450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Des wrote: »
    which post was it?

Pigheads Post 290 in the Kaka express interest to City Thread.

Edit: good man deise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I presume that this was for the Dunphy parody? Totally ridiculous, and so over the top, it's laughable.

Pighead, was obvioulsy having a laugh. I think that most people got it, obvioulsy one or two did not.

What the mods obvioulsy missed here was the intent. Was the post reported by anybody?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement