Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It's all a bit silly in fairness. Pighead's said it wasn't abuse, Keane didn't take it as abuse, everyone knows what it was - it was a pisstaking humourous post but for some mad reason to keep order and civility (in the mod's opinions) this kind of thing is happening where there's bans for marginal semantics.

Best of luck to Xavi6 and the others though, mod'ing Soccer just seems to go round and round in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

Blech, this is where the case for interpretation on a case by case basis comes up, if someone was that blatant in their intent they deserve whatever they get. Do mods have the capability to see edit history, that would seem an easy way to sort it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

roryc wrote: »

Could happen.

We can see the time stamps for edting a post and the editing history, so we'd know if this happened.

At which point I think we'd have a very fair case for sitebanning the person who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jokers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GuanYin wrote: »
    At which point I think we'd have a very fair case for sitebanning the person who did it.

Why a site ban? What makes that so serious that a forum ban isn't enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

threatening site bans

for jaysis sake

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just because.

I think that is the only reason needed for some things of late.

If someone is going to try and use the system in soccer to carry out a personal vendetta of abuse against me, then I'm not going to moderate myself, I'll appeal to a higher authority.

I imagine it would depend on the individual case, since people are talking purely hypotheticly. I'm not sure if a siteban is too harsh, but if someone did it with the intention of getting other users banned it seems right that they be punished more harshly than simply getting themselves banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Could happen.

We can see the time stamps for edting a post and the editing history, so we'd know if this happened.

You have officially left orbit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I'll admit I don't know the joke being referenced but the ban was made and I erred on the side of consistancy (a user had already complained).

I have a legitimate series of questions here.

GuanYin it is true that you are a soccer mod, correct ?

Do you follow football ? I presume that you must otherwise why are you a mod on the soccer forum.

Now you have said that you did not get the joke, paradoy whatever.

Now in all fairness being a follower of soccer or not, just being Irish meant that one should have got that joke. It was one of the most talked about incidents in the whole country during the summer of 2002. Soccer followers and non-soccer followers alike discussed it to death as did the media throughout the length and breadth of the country during the summer of 2002. One could not open a newspaper, turn on the radio nor peruse an Irish news website without seeing some reference to it.

So to sum up you did not get the joke and in so doing did not understand what it was everyone found so amusing and decided that everyone should be banned. Now if you did not understand why it was people were thanking the post do you not think that you should have asked another mod to explain it to you instead of just asking another mod should this be banned without knowing all the facts of the matter in fairness ? Because if you did then it could most certainly be argued that you would have let common sense prevail. I guess we will never know.

I enjoy how the outrage is not about someone deliberately trying to break the rules to abuse e and get other users banned, but rather that I'd request a siteban for anyone doing so.

So one of these things is OK and the other is not.

Anyway, I think I've answered as bst as I can here.

Could happen.

Why site ban? Why do you always need to go to the extreme? Do you actually have a sense of humour or understand the concept of 'common sense'?

Before Neil etc come on defending you again, I'm not intending for this post to be an attack on you GY, I've never met you before and only seem to become aware of your existence whenever there is a major problem in the Soccer Forum.

However, as has been pointed out before in this thread you come across as an extremely unlikeable person. But meh, its an internet forum, if this is how you have fun... I'm off out for a few beers

redout wrote: »
    I have a legitimate series of questions here.

GuanYin it is true that you are a soccer mod, correct ?

Do you follow football ? I presume that you must otherwise why are you a mod on the soccer forum.

Now you have said that you did not get the joke, paradoy whatever.

Now in all fairness being a follower of soccer or not, just being Irish meant that one should have got that joke. It was one of the most talked about incidents in the whole country during the summer of 2002. Soccer followers and non-soccer followers alike discussed it to death as did the media throughout the length and breadth of the country during the summer of 2002. One could not open a newspaper, turn on the radio nor peruse an Irish news website without seeing some reference to it.

So to sum up you did not get the joke and in so doing did not understand what it was everyone found so amusing and decided that everyone should be banned. Now if you did not understand why it was people were thanking the post do you not think that you should have asked another mod to explain it to you instead of just asking another mod should this be banned without knowing all the facts of the matter in fairness ? Because if you did then it could most certainly be argued that you would have let common sense prevail. I guess we will never know.

I'm not Irish, but considering 70% of the soccer forum deals with English soccer, I assume it's not a job requirement :)

Now in all fairness being a follower of soccer or not, just being Irish meant that one should have got that joke..

As far as I know SHE is AMERICAN... I can find two reasons why (imo) she shouldn't be modding an Irish soccer forum

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As far as I know SHE is AMERICAN... I can find two reasons why (imo) she shouldn't be modding an Irish soccer forum

Oh Jesus. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If someone is going to try and use the system in soccer to carry out a personal vendetta of abuse against me, then I'm not going to moderate myself, I'll appeal to a higher authority.

It's all hypothetical but it would seem they are trying to get other innocent users banned and act the tit than launch some sort of vendetta. In my books that would deserve a much longer ban then they would have gotten for just the abuse. i'd probably bring it to the attention of the admins so that the person in question can be removed from the thanks system.

I enjoy how the outrage is not about someone deliberately trying to break the rules to abuse e and get other users banned, but rather that I'd request a siteban for anyone doing so.

So one of these things is OK and the other is not.

No, doing something like this to get others banned is a completely twatty thing to do and if I caught anyone doing it they would get a much longer ban than they would for just the abuse (because they are trying to get others banned as well by doing it). A site ban would be complete over kill though.

You see Cushion my old buddy. There is this mentality(or governing body) called fascism. Fascism is a very angry thing. When certain figures don't get their way they become very upset & use threats to make sure they get their way. Even when the situation has been very obviously clarified they do not accept defeat lightly!

Examples of this are scattered around history with some perfect examples with Germany in the period 1933-1945. Very angry stuff indeed.

Now, I don't understand this whole situation at all at all. Something was said in a joking context & anyone that knows Pighead or has a decent sense of humour can see that. Now I do appreciate the job that the soccer mods do as it is probably the hardest forum on Boards to moderate & even though that is the case the Soccer forum is still a great place to post in. With special mentions to how well Xavi has done since his appointment but we find ourselves in this situation again! A silly Billy banning, no one likes a silly Billy do they? KaG sure doesn't, I can tell you that.

I suggest this. Let's unban the parties involved and let's get on with life. The soccer forum has been going great the last while and why ruin it with this bull****. I am also now in a position to ask Guayin out for some dinner and maybe some dancing? I could wear a nice beige tuxedo with a light blue tie & smile like George Clooney in his best days of ER. I am sure you'd like that honey chuckle x x :p;) .

Anyway, can we all just be happy & forget this horrid mess. You're upsetting Des. No one likes to see Des upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Mitch Connor, to answer you question. When I came upon the issue, it was with a PM from a user claiming that we were being incosistant by not banning the users who thanked the abusive post after killmee0 was banned.

I'll admit I don't know the joke being referenced but the ban was made and I erred on the side of consistancy (a user had already complained). I will admit, I did question this with the other soccer mods at the time, however, despite his protestations now, Pighead was asked at the time why he posted the abuse.

:eek: Are those points about me?!?

If they are, then you've completely misinterpreted what I said in the PM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I fail to see how GuanYin sexuality or nationality makes *any* difference in this debate or whether she should be a Soccer forum mod debate either. Immature comment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The above does not require being Irish.
    I'm not Irish, but considering 70% of the soccer forum deals with English soccer, I assume it's not a job requirement :)

So again I say why did you make decisions when you yourself did not know all the facts pertaining to the matter in question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

A female American! It all makes sence to me now! ill never call ronaldo a poofball again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you're being serious here, you're just making a fool of yourself now, tbh.

Sully wrote: »
    I fail to see how GuanYin sexuality or nationality makes *any* difference in this debate or whether she should be a Soccer forum mod debate either. Immature comment imo.

'Cos girls know nothing about football and have cooties. Duh!
    You see Cushion my old buddy. There is this mentality(or governing body) called fascism. Fascism is a very angry thing. When certain figures don't get their way they become very upset & use threats to make sure they get their way. Even when the situation has been very obviously clarified they do not accept defeat lightly!

Calling someone else here a fascist really doesn't accomplish anything and will probably de-value whatever it is you are trying to say in the eyes of most people. If you think a mod has been too harsh then say but don't call them a fascist.

Examples of this are scattered around history with some perfect examples with Germany in the period 1933-1945. Very angry stuff indeed.

Ooooh, I felt like something was missing from this thread, coming up on thirty pages and no had made a Nazi/facist Germany analogy!

Sully wrote: »

I agree, it has nothing to do with it.

There are so many good reasons why she should not be a mod, why reduce yourself to those two rather pointless ones?

I really think that GY is too enamoured with the rules and their enforcement. Underlying every rule should be the idea that those rules should be interpreted and enforced through the lens of common sense.

However, much as I think one would be justified, this is not a referendum on GuanYin's modding. Frankly I have the greatest of respect for her. She does a thankless job in a forum where she admits her knowledge of the subject matter is limited and within which some of the most childish and raucous posting on boards is done.

The posters in this thread seem to react rather than act. If you have a problem with a mod's style or with the rules of a forum there are appropriate places to discuss them, such as feedback, rather than waiting for a situation to arise like this where the Mods are understandably always going to defend their actions rather than possibly engaging in a conversation on how the forum is modded.

GuanYin, much as I might disagree with your style I don't think you deserve the vitriol many have levelled at you in this thread. Thanks for modding an almost un-moddable forum and I hope you can sift through the nonsense in this thread and maybe take on board that a more relaxed approach to the rules may make your job easier in the long run.

'

Calling someone else here a fascist really doesn't accomplish anything and will probably de-value whatever it is you are trying to say in the eyes of most people. If you think a mod has been too harsh then say but don't call them a fascist.

hey hey,
    I didn't call ANYONE anything. Not one mention of a name sir. Even if I did I am only taking the piss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont visit Soccer much and its in a league of its own (pun not intended!) so is moderated diffrently. I gathered by reading bits and pieces that it may be moderated that way due to the forum being a sensitive on and was closed a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its the fault of boards.ie in having a thanks button and expecting ppl to 'respect' it.

this issue is retarded. let redout back in. this is the case of a mod getting annoyed cos he thinks no1 is respecting his authoritah. dress it up differently all u want, but that is the case here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement