Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

huh?
    I dont see where anyone brought that up in the discussion aside from you saying its wrong to bring it up into the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont see where anyone brought that up in the discussion aside from you saying its wrong to bring it up into the discussion.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58644274&postcount=377

It was stupid to bring that up in jest or not. It takes away from the point of the thread. The offence is a yellow card at most here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This has to be the first time in recent months I havent been caught up in Soccer Forum feedback thread. I think the reason being is I dont frequent it as much since Xmas.

Anyways

I still think the soccer forum misses this lad, he was fair and a damn good mod :)

1687Gandalf.jpg

COME BACK TO US GANDALF

On a side note, I think all mods on Soccer do a great job, T4TF, Dub, Xavi and GY.

It just needs a rethink in how the place runs.

I feel bad for GY, cause she get such a bum deal, but then again she is an enforcer, its her nature, and sometimes I just dont think she comprehends the way in which Irish Posters operate.

That being said I have had my run ins with GY , but i have the utmost respect for her as the Soccer Forum Mod, for me has to be the toughest job on Boards.

I never thought I would have said that before.

I think their needs to be some sort of open discussion between the mods and posters, not just a behind the scenes chat between mods. A community only strives with users , no users, then its just 4 mods talking amongst themselves.

The forum has seen so many arguments, bannings, closures, feedback threads, change of rules, closing and opening of the forum, access request, access request sponsors, NOW this forum needs a further change. A change in which Mods and Users alike get along and respect each other for what they do. We have the Respect the Ref campaign in footie but can we have a mutual respect each other campaign in the Soccer forum?

Anyways thats my two cents.

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Chong wrote: »
    I think their needs to be some sort of open discussion between the mods and posters, not just a behind the scenes chat between mods. A community only strives with users , no users, then its just 4 mods talking amongst themselves.

+1

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

GuanYin wrote: »
    It would be easy for us to draw conclusions that quoting something funny would not be abuse and thanking it would be ok. Until of course, someone uses a funny quote to actually abuse and upset someone. Then what?

Why does everything have to be related to a hypothetical situation? Why can't you just deal with what actually happened ffs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be related to a hypothetical situation? Why can't you just deal with what actually happened ffs?

Its all been dragged out man. All 4 of the mods from the soccer forum have replied on the thread all ready so they have all obviously talked about this and still nothing from them. The longer it goes on the more inclined I am to go along with almurphy83 comments quoted below here.

The first decision was correct ever since then, every decision from banning the original thankers, to revoking access rights to the late thankers, and making them re-apply with a possible probationary period, to now saying that the four mods are going to discuss and get back to us, has been wrong.

I know what get back to us means, it means will you will change or clarify the rules to dig yourself out of this hole. Post an announcement about it. Tell everyone thems the rules deal with or don't post here. While never coming out and saying I handled this badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It is worth noting that a year ago a similar feedback thread cast T4TF as the bad guy and me as the hero and before that Gandalf was the bad guy and T4TF was the hero.
    I've never had a feedback thread casting me as the villain:(. Even most of the people I ban are usually quite nice about it.
    I know what get back to us means, it means will you will change or clarify the rules to dig yourself out of this hole. Post an announcement about it. Tell everyone thems the rules deal with or don't post here. While never coming out and saying I handled this badly.
    I don't think that's quite fair Alan. I know there's this view out there that some people have that boards moderators are power hungry gimps but from what I've seen of the work that quite an amount of them do, they're interested in having good boards where people can feel free to post on within the boundary of a few rules that have to be put together to avoid complete anarchy. Sometimes the rules can be a bit constricting, almost always they're there for good reason and where specific rules are found to be either unfair or discovered to be something that impinges on the needs and wants of a majority of the members, they tend to be reconsidered.

I've always likened mods to janitors (it was my tagline for ages till I changed it lately) and I think it's a view that moderators should have of their roles. I'm pretty sure lots of them do. Sure, there are also moderators who additionally take the position that their role is that of a forum leader, promoting and nurturing the board that they've been entrusted with, but the core role of any moderator is to keep the place presentable, polite within reason and to clean up the messes that can develop. And sometimes mess cleanup causes another mess, which then has to be cleaned up.

And sometimes that stuff can take time. The soccer board has four moderators and any sort of group discussion even with a number as small as that can be expected to take a few days at the very least to work out, especially if it involves people in different timezones bouncing comments at each other, as is the case with many of the board moderators, including soccer. I'd hold off on the lynch mob until the verdict is in. You mightn't like the result of whatever that discussion is, and you can be sure that if you like the result, someone else won't, but that's the nature of utilitarianism, that's the nature of different people having different views and obviously that's the nature of the soccer forum itself, like lots of other boards on this site and others like it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Damn straight. Nuclear Holocaust hasnt happened yet so why plan ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

sceptre wrote: »
    I've never had a feedback thread casting me as the villain:(. Even most of the people I ban are usually quite nice about it.

Yeah, thats cos you were away from politics for so long. That and the fact that noone is going to be abusive to an Smod (at least not for very long).
    keane2097 wrote:
    It did happen.

We're still cleaning up the mess from last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I've always likened mods to janitors (it was my tagline for ages till I changed it lately) and I think it's a view that moderators should have of their roles. I'm pretty sure lots of them do.

I think most people would agree with you on this. I feel that the moderators are there to provide a service to the posters and readers of a forum. An often thankless task and one that they provide for nothing in return, but still a service.

Xavi6, on the other hand, doesn't seem to feel the same way. He seems to think the whole idea of moderators working for their users is a bit ridiculous and that moderators should keep on doing their thing regardless of how the forum's users feel.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what happens if a number of posters decide they don't like me down the road? Or Dub13? Should we also be forced to step aside?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted this, but it seemed pretty clear to me.

BTW the janitor analogy doesn't work that well in soccer. You've got at least 3 if not more factions who spend their days trying to trump each other. I think "peacekeeper" is a better analogy. At least "peacekeeper within the soccer forum".

Leave a sticky at the top of the forum advising them they can take their differences outside the pub, so to speak: The Thunderdome.

If its anything like that one movie where all the football fans beat the crap out of eachother, it could prove an excellent read.

Leave a sticky at the top of the forum advising them they can take their differences outside the pub, so to speak: The Thunderdome.

If its anything like that one movie where all the football fans beat the crap out of eachother, it could prove an excellent read.

Are you really from SC? I played against a team from Charleston today :)

I don't think that would quite work. You know for all the complaints, Soccer works well enough, the vast majority of posters are happy enough, or at least happy enough to keep posting and it is still the second most used forum on boards.

There seems to be some disquiet of late among some regulars. I've been away and not modding since mid december until this week so I can't really say what it was about (but it seems it is all my fault ;) ), but I'm sure it is something that can be fixed. If anything, traffic in soccer has risen steadily over the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BTW the janitor analogy doesn't work that well in soccer. You've got at least 3 if not more factions who spend their days trying to trump each other. I think "peacekeeper" is a better analogy. At least "peacekeeper within the soccer forum".
    Ah, janitors come in many forms:). It's supposed to act as a reminder (to me as much as anyone else[1]) of an important role that doesn't make the person who has it important. Regardless of whether that's using a broom with a pointy stick or a colt 45 (obviously sometimes the gun is a better weapon, especially as a peacemaker. I wouldn't mod the soccer forum without a gun.)

"Your friendly neighbourhood spiderman" is a bit too geeky.

[1]Don't get me wrong - I like doing it. I feel privileged for being allowed to do it. And when there's insufficient time to do it properly I occasionally feel bad about that, but that's why there are so many doing it.

Are you really from SC? I played against a team from Charleston today :)

I've had a long odyssey* so I'm not from SC, but I've been living in the Summerville/Charleston area for about 6 months now.

*(Everett > Daytona > St. Augustine > Gainesville > Clarecastle > Carlow > Charleston > Summerville)
    Epic.

I've had a long odyssey* so I'm not from SC, but I've been living in the Summerville/Charleston area for about 6 months now.

*(Everett > Daytona > St. Augustine > Gainesville > Clarecastle > Carlow > Charleston > Summerville)

Everett WA or MA? *pimp* I made a forum request you should support *pimp*

Everett WA or MA? *pimp* I made a forum request you should support *pimp*
    Good idea. and WA

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

redout wrote: »
    Its all been dragged out man. All 4 of the mods from the soccer forum have replied on the thread all ready so they have all obviously talked about this and still nothing from them. The longer it goes on the more inclined I am to go along with almurphy83 comments quoted below here.

Sorry but just a point here, and this really pisses me.

We have 4 moderators on 3 different continents and therefore 3 different time zones to try keep the forum moderated around the clock. The problem witht hat however means that it's very unlikely that we are ever all online at the same time (e.g. it is 2.19pm my time and the place is a ghost town).

Quite frankly to expect a resolution to such a big problem within 24 hours is very unreasonable.
    RoundTower wrote: »
    I think most people would agree with you on this. I feel that the moderators are there to provide a service to the posters and readers of a forum. An often thankless task and one that they provide for nothing in return, but still a service.

Xavi6, on the other hand, doesn't seem to feel the same way. He seems to think the whole idea of moderators working for their users is a bit ridiculous and that moderators should keep on doing their thing regardless of how the forum's users feel.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted this, but it seemed pretty clear to me.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean. I've read it a few times and don't understand the point you are making about me being different to how modding should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This post has been deleted.

No, this is not entirely accurate, and THAT is the problem.

It states in the charter that thanking an abusive post is a yellow card offence, and MAY incur a ban. GY could have infracted the posters without banning them and still followed the charter that was agreed to. That is what people have been saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That may have depended on the seriousness of the abuse or the reason for thanks. Each ban is taken on a case by case basis.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    As said before on this thread each case is judged on a case by case bases.He has already got the ban reviewed in help desk you can read that here...
    I know there is a call for "case by case" but to be honest that isn't really feasible and as it is, as Villian pointed out, it isn't always easy to be consistant (it isn't intentional, we're discussing that too).
    This confuses Pighead. Two of the mods say each case is judged on a case by case basis and one mod says it's not feasible. Which is it? (This isn't being asked smarmily by the way, genuine question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

No, this is not entirely accurate, and THAT is the problem.

It states in the charter that thanking an abusive post is a yellow card offence, and MAY incur a ban. GY could have infracted the posters without banning them and still followed the charter that was agreed to. That is what people have been saying.

This has been looked at though and the original 6 who were banned for thanking the post have had that ban overturned

The other 9 who thanked the post for the laugh or to prove a point after the event have had their access from Soccer removed and that remains the case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

This has been looked at though and the original 6 who were banned for thanking the post have had that ban overturned
    Have they? Are you basing that on this statement?
    OK, well fair enough, I do see that Pigheads ban was a week and I believe traditionally thankers get a lesser ban so the initial posters who were banned may get their banning commuted, I'll review it and I'll discuss it with the other mods first.

Commuted doesn't mean overturned.

The other 9 who thanked the post for the laugh or to prove a point after the event have had their access from Soccer removed and that remains the case
    And some of us 9 have explained that is not what we did/why we did it...

I think they realised they made a mistake as soon as they deleted the post tbh. A weeks ban for this is laughable.

I mean I can understand GY not getting the reference, even Xavi didn't get it at first. But T4TF got it since he thanked it. So if the 4 mods really came together and consulted i'm surprised they decided on a weeks ban for all involved.

I am one of the original 6 and can confirm that this statement is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sherifu wrote: »
    But T4TF got it since he thanked it.

Are you sure he thanked it?

From now on can we call ye the 'Pighead 6'? :pac:

Boggles wrote: »

From now on can we call ye the 'Pighead 6'? :pac:

LoL. please do. I was going to ask pighead if he would object to me changing my username to "one of the pighead 6".

Jesus we are as famous as the Guildford 4 around here now.

Pighead 6 has a nice ring to it alright.:D

Boggles wrote: »
    Are you sure he thanked it?
    Oops, I checked back and that was a different post I was thinking of that was actually abusive. Scratch that part. Stil, if there was a meeting of minds I would think one of them would pick up on what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Can I just make a quick point here?

One of the mods said way back earlier in the topic that the usual timeframe to expect a PM reply from a mod is 24 hours.

Well I sent a PM to the mods last Friday night and still no reply, even though it's kind of obvious that they received it judging by their posts here in the meantime.

Even if you didn't agree with it, surely a quick acknowledgement at least wouldn't have killed you.

And while I'm talking about lack of responses, GY you did say you'd answer my problem regarding your interpretation of my original PM if I posted something less confrontational. Well, can I point you in the direction of post 420? In case you missed it the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Pighead wrote: »
    Have they? Are you basing that on this statement?

Commuted doesn't mean overturned.

Fair enough, my mistake, thought it had been overturned

In all likelyhood it will

And the Mods are talking about things so theree will be an outcome eventually

Best just to wait until they come back with their conclusion before there is anymore discussion about who was wronged and why

Give them a chance to try and sort it out anyway before hanging them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement