Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just to keep you all in the loop and up to date (as I think it's only fair) - myself and GY have been discussing things, but the time difference is making it a pain in the whole. I see some people here speculating as to what it is we are discussing and I can assure that something will be posted asap, and hopefully it will be satisfactory to all involved.

Apologies if that sounds vague but I don't want to post something half arsed.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3 am conference call?
    3 pm conference call?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just to keep you all in the loop and up to date (as I think it's only fair) - myself and GY have been discussing things, but the time difference is making it a pain in the whole. I see some people here speculating as to what it is we are discussing and I can assure that something will be posted asap, and hopefully it will be satisfactory to all involved.

Cheers

Jesus Xavi talk about milking the títs off it, tis hardly the Da Vinci Code in fairness. If your finding it hard to come to a conclusion because of time zones why not leave the relatively simple decision to Dub and TFTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Cheers

Can't say fairer than that.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus Xavi talk about milking the títs off it, tis hardly the Da Vinci Code in fairness. If your finding it hard to come to a conclusion because of time zones why not leave the relatively simple decision to Dub and TFTF.

Some people really are never happy.

I banned Pighead and GY banned the others so I would imagine it would be a subject for us to deal with and not the others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness the Soccer forum has lost alot of its fun. Its so stale and PC these days you are afraid to say boo to anybody. I called barton a scumbag for beating the $hit out of some guy outside a club. I got banned for it! Yet I saw others call him the same name and nothing happened. I didnt want to get those same posters in trouble it just seems there is a lack of consistency to the whole forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

jank wrote: »
    In fairness the Soccer forum has lost alot of its fun. Its so stale and PC these days you are afraid to say boo to anybody. I called barton a scumbag for beating the $hit out of some guy outside a club. I got banned for it! Yet I saw others call him the same name and nothing happened. I didnt want to get those same posters in trouble it just seems there is a lack of consistency to the whole forum

I also got banned for calling him a c*nt

Can you post the links?

Did you report the posts of others calling him it? If not then you can't really complain about any case other than your own.
    Its so stale and PC these days

Just on this, 'these days' is inaccurate. I was banned 15 months ago for calling Roy Keane a wanker. The rules have been in place for quite a long time so it's nothing new. There's a feedback thread on it if you want to do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i got a warning for calling ronaldo a poof :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I can see why you cant abuse sports players as its just going to cause a flamewar with their supporters... Its in the charter anyway isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just on this, 'these days' is inaccurate. I was banned 15 months ago for calling Roy Keane a wanker. The rules have been in place for quite a long time so it's nothing new. There's a feedback thread on it if you want to do a search.
    Pighead remembers that thread. One of the posters made some excellent points with regard to minor offences and the correct use of infractions.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54515182&postcount=102

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

IMO Lock this thread, soccer mods all 4 agree that any bullsh1t posts get a yellow and if you get 2 yellows you get a week ban and if you get a straight red its 2 weeks or 3 if its really bad.

Then if you get 2 more yellow cards you get 3 week ban or another straight red its 4 weeks and once you get either 5 yellows or 3 reds you get a 3 month ban.

i.e. simalar to the way most soccer leagues work to make it easy for yourself host an excel spreadsheet somewhere and use points 1 for a yellow and 2 for a straight red once the number of points is reached ban the user.

Anyone who posts in the soccer forum should be familar with this type of system and tell all the posters that each mod is a referee and some will deal with things different than others so suck it because we all know there is no point in compaining about referee's.

Oh and thanking a post gives you the same number of points as the poster gets i.e. if you thank a yellow card post before or after it gets a yellow you also get a yellow etc

What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Boo ;)

Howdy Jank.

Back on topic

Not trying to prejudge anything but If the ban on the original 6 is reduced\removed for being too harsh it would only be fair to have all the bans reduced\removed as the 10 users that were banned for protesting at the harshness of the original 6 being banning would be shown to have had a legitimate cause for protest.

I know Boards is not a democracy but surly its accpetable to protest if you feel strongly that a fellow user has been wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Villain wrote: »
    IMO Lock this thread, soccer mods all 4 agree that any bullsh1t posts get a yellow and if you get 2 yellows you get a week ban and if you get a straight red its 2 weeks or 3 if its really bad.

Then if you get 2 more yellow cards you get 3 week ban or another straight red its 4 weeks and once you get either 5 yellows or 3 reds you get a 3 month ban.

i.e. simalar to the way most soccer leagues work to make it easy for yourself host an excel spreadsheet somewhere and use points 1 for a yellow and 2 for a straight red once the number of points is reached ban the user.

Anyone who posts in the soccer forum should be familar with this type of system and tell all the posters that each mod is a referee and some will deal with things different than others so suck it because we all know there is no point in compaining about referee's.

Oh and thanking a post gives you the same number of points as the poster gets i.e. if you thank a yellow card post before or after it gets a yellow you also get a yellow etc

What you think?

Not a lot to be frank. I notice that you have suggested nothing of those who thanked, the originals and those who showed solidarity. So you want all the the bans to remain then and its acceptable to carry on as if nothing happened and just apply you new suggestions ? That wont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The Muppet wrote: »
    Not trying to prejudge anything but If the ban on the original 6 is reduced\removed for being too harsh it would only be fair to have all the bans reduced\removed as the 10 users that were banned for protesting at the harshness of the original 6 being banning would be shown to have had a legitimate cause for protest.

I know Boards is not a democracy but surly its accpetable to protest if you feel strongly that a fellow user has been wronged.

Sure they probably had a legitimate cause for protest but martyring themselves wasn't the way to do it. There's a feedback forum around here somewhere I think.

GuanYin wrote: »
    There seems to be some disquiet of late among some regulars. I've been away and not modding since mid december until this week so I can't really say what it was about (but it seems it is all my fault ;) ), but I'm sure it is something that can be fixed. If anything, traffic in soccer has risen steadily over the last 6 months.

Tbh this stems from the way the closing of the OTT thread was handled the last time. You made a MASSIVE boo boo letting personal crap from a different forum influence a thread that had never caused any problems and you closed it. This showed me at least that you valued your own agendas more than doing what was best for the forum. It was a mistake, which was corrected, eventually, after you said "someone ask me nicely and I'll reopen it". But that should never have had to happen and you didn't acknowledge that, instead you dug and dug your way out until face was saved. Now I appreciate that you clearly didn't want to undermine your own authority by admitting you were wrong but the problem with handling things in this way is that it leaves a bitter taste with those involved.

Also the fact that when we thanked the posts the ban came from you doesn't help that perception ya know.

Look GY, frankly I've said my piece on this and I'm not meaning to get personal with you, I just got particularly p1ssed off with the idea of having to come crawling back. I mean it's not like myself or any of the other posters who thanked the posts are renowned trolls of the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well imo all the thanked bans including killme should be overturned and start from fresh with the rule very very .

The soccer forum is too busy to get consistency all the time and whether people like it or boards is not a democracy so you just have to accept the the mods decisions, trust me redout I have a lot of expierence in this area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Villain wrote: »
    The soccer forum is too busy to get consistency all the time and whether people like it or boards is not a democracy so you just have to accept the the mods decisions, trust me redout I have a lot of expierence in this area :D

The mods made bad decisions in this instance and angered a lot of users. I think this thread shows that users are not willing to accept the mods initial decisions, at least not quietly and without a fight.

javaboy wrote: »
    Sure they probably had a legitimate cause for protest but martyring themselves wasn't the way to do it. There's a feedback forum around here somewhere I think.

Some people stand up to be counted when they see something wrong others just close their eyes and fall in behind those in authority whether that authority is right or wrong.

Anyone that has been around here any length of time knows that users like mike65 are not out to cause trouble for anyone. I don't think it's fair to see them punished so harshley for making the protest they did. That's my feedback on the subject.

Some people stand up to be counted when they see something wrong others just close their eyes and fall in behind those in authority whether that authority is right or wrong.

And some people realise that it's not just A and B. There's probably C.
    Anyone that has been around here any length of time knows that users like mike65 are not out to cause trouble for anyone. I don't think it's fair to see them punished so harshley for making the protest they did. That's my feedback on the subject.

Anyone that has been around here as long as mike65 knows how things are done too. Getting themselves banned was just adding fuel to the fire. It's not the way things get done around here.

• Advertisement

And some people realise that it's not just A and B. There's probably C.

The C option? Do you mean defend an obviously unfair decision in order to be noticed and persue one's own personal ambitions, I'm not big into that one TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Anyone that has been around here as long as mike65 knows how things are done too. Getting themselves banned was just adding fuel to the fire. It's not the way things get done around here.

I wonder if Martyr Mike has got his 72 virgins yet ? And if so, could he tell us if they are scouse virgins ? ... oh, and female ? :D

The C option? Do you mean defend an obviously unfair decision in order to be noticed and persue one's own personal ambitions, I'm not big into that one TBH

No. That's not what I meant at all. And I really hope that comment wasn't directed at me. I have no ambition. I didn't even get dressed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Right. The posters who thanked the post originally will be unbanned on monday. Those who are currently on a 7 day ban will be unbanned on Monday night (if for any reason you find youself without access, PM me and I'll do it manually).

The posters who decided to deliberately break the rules, discussed it here and suggested others do it, will remain without access for 7 days after which they may apply through soccer access requests. This is in lieu if a 1 month ban for pre-meditated breach of the rules.

Noone has received and infraction yet and I'll hold off on those for now (unless someone wants one).

Right. The posters who thanked the post originally will be unbanned on monday. Those who are currently on a 7 day ban will be unbanned on Monday night (if for any reason you find youself without access, PM me and I'll do it manually).

The posters who decided to deliberately break the rules, discussed it here and suggested others do it, will remain without access for 7 days after which they may apply through soccer access requests. This is in lieu if a 1 month ban for pre-meditated breach of the rules.

Noone has received and infraction yet and I'll hold off on those for now (unless someone wants one).

It's sad to see community spirit being punished so severly on a community site like boards. I would have though supporting such comradery would be benefical to the soccer forum and the site in general.

Jesus, it took a full day to come up with that horseshít? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Never fncking happy are you boggles. I would imagine that even if your beloved Man U manager came up with the resolution you would be looking to call somebody names. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What's the reasoning behind making them re-apply for access?

Never fncking happy are you boggles. I would imagine that even if your beloved Man U manager came up with the resolution you would be looking to call somebody names. :rolleyes:

I'm happy right now thanks for asking Thanx 4 the Fish. Who is calling who names?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It's sad to see community spirit being punished so severly on a community site like boards. I would have though supporting such comradery would be benefical to the soccer forum and the site in general.

The Muppet, I'm unsure if you're trying to troll or not, but really, considering your relationship with soccer, comments like this and the one directed at javaboy it probably don't serve you any good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement