Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Des wrote: »
    how disingenuous is this?

it's ok for a moderator to say they haven't been online to reply to a fb thread, but if a user hasn't posted in a while, and then comes back when the brown stuff hits the fan, he's called on it?

I can see your point Des but Pighead had a chance to claim it wasn't abuse at the time and apparently didn't. He might have done so had he known what sort of ****storm would erupt but it's not like he was offline since the post and never had a chance to state his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

javaboy wrote: »
    People getting themselves banned just made them look bad and clouded the issue. I understand why some of them did it but how did they expect the mods to react? They couldn't let people deliberately undermine their authority like that without doing something.
    The mods reacted by;
    1. dishing out one week bans
    2. deleting the post once more people started thanking it
    3. realised they were wrong after a shit-storm in feedback
    4. doing a u-turn and rolling back some bans (fair play for that by the way, took a while but we got there)
    5. making others grovel for access (you need to see the removal of access PM to see what we mean)
    Mods of soccer, the rapid response unit.

Also, I wish you and others would stop saying the reason why we thanked the post was to be rebels. Unless you're a mind reader...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

GuanYin wrote: »

many argue that javaboy has a better understanding and has contributed more than many posters who have been members twice as long.

can you link me to this argument I would be interested in contributing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sherifu wrote: »
    [*]making others grovel for access (you need to see the removal of access PM to see what we mean)

silly, silly, silly.

just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

it's ok for a moderator to say they haven't been online to reply to a fb thread, but if a user hasn't posted in a while, and then comes back when the brown stuff hits the fan, he's called on it?

I also love the way the moderators are using the "The Muppet" siataution to frag this off topic.

If decisions are made, and are being kept as it, then I'm unhappy about that.

Just to register my dissatisfaction.

What if I thank a post that I, personally, don't find to be abusive, but then some mod comes along, decides it's abusive, and I end up with a ban?

As I said earlier.

A joke.

Nothing's changed.

Again.
    The mods are not doing anything of the sort Des. We have somebody coming onpreaching about community spirit etc but has been banned form the forum on a number of occasions for abusing people which is not particularly community minded is it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ermm that isn't the issue. He was asked at the time and at the time he indicated intent. He later claimed no intent, after it became a bigger issue.

Now I understand that may have been timing, but my point is, it is too late to take it as credible. If you're asked something at the time and you give a smart ass answer and claim it is deserved and then when you realize it has caused alot of trouble claim that it was all a joke. Well... come on....

The mods are not doing anything of the sort Des. We have somebody coming onpreaching about community spirit etc but has been banned form the forum on a number of occasions for abusing people which is not particularly community minded is it.

another dig at the muppet, but you ignore my other questions.

yeah.

good one.

The Muppet wrote: »
    can you link me to this argument I would be interested in contributing.

No.

^^

and this proves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I also love the way the moderators are using the "The Muppet" siataution to frag this off topic.

Cheers Des,

I'm glad somone else has pointed that out, I think the personal stuff is in very poor form and is a deliberate attempt by 2 of the soccer mods to get this thread closed.

Does attack the post and not the poster not apply to me?

• Advertisement

^^

and this proves it.

Proves what? I can't link him.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Cheers Des,

I'm glad somone else has pointed that out, I think the personal stuff is in very poor form and is a deliberate attempt by 2 of the soccer mods to get this thread closed.

I hadn't looked at it like that, but now that you say it.

Yes, I'd agree with you.

Proves what? I can't link him.

that the pair of you are more interested in the muppet than my legitimate questions.

Ermmm I don't thnk I've had a go at the muppet, I've merely stated that his reaction to javaboy is uncalled for.

Ermmm I don't thnk I've had a go at the muppet, I've merely stated that his reaction to javaboy is uncalled for.

that the pair of you are more interested in the muppet than my legitimate questions.

I answered your question directly above several posts ago. It was a repeat of something I'd already posted a hundred posts above.

What if I thank a post that I, personally, don't find to be abusive, but then some mod comes along, decides it's abusive, and I end up with a ban?

no you didn't.

t4tf actually quoted it, and used it as another dig at muppet.

no you didn't.

t4tf actually quoted it, and used it as another dig at muppet.

Oh right, well I did answer the last one I saw, there are quite a few.

If something is calling someone a "f*cking X" or whatever, take it for granted that it will be classed as abusive.

Can you give me an example of the type of post you mean, because I'm unable to think of something.

You changed the posts massively from when I started to respond to it. In your first draft you said that you were happy with the decisions, was that a freudian slip. As I responded to it and was still typing my post, the quote was taken at the end of my writing.

Well done you.

Can you give me an example of the type of post you mean, because I'm unable to think of something.

Pighead's post :)

I would have thanked it myself, only I saw this thread first, and I hadn't been reading the Kaka thread anyway.

• Advertisement

You changed the posts massively from when I started to respond to it. In your first draft you said that you were happy with the decisions, was that a freudian slip.

this is untrue.

Pighead's post :)

I would have thanked it myself, only I saw this thread first, and I hadn't been reading the Kaka thread anyway.

The post is abusive, It calls the poster a f*cking X. Don't thank it.

Because the next time someone wants to abuse someone they'll use a quote and then claim that Pighead got away with it.

So if you see abuse in a post. Don't thank it.

Not rocket surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The post is abusive, It calls the poster a f*cking X. Don't thank it.

Because the next time someone wants to abuse someone they'll use a quote and then claim that Pighead got away with it.

So if you see abuse in a post. Don't thank it.

Not rocket surgery.
    Rocket Surgery Holy Hell GY :)

Please post it again then. I was sure that you had said something along the lines of "you were happy with the decision".

If not I apologise, I may have read it in haste.

Chong wrote: »
    Rocket Surgery Holy Hell GY :)

It is what you get when you conduct brain surgery while studying rocket science.

Please post it again then. I was sure that you had said something along the lines of "you were happy with the decision".

If not I apologise, I may have read it in haste.

my post is there, spelling mistakes and all.

you were right though, I did go back to add stuff, it's the last five or six lines of my post.

Apology accepted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

javaboy wrote: »
    I can see your point Des but Pighead had a chance to claim it wasn't abuse at the time and apparently didn't. He might have done so had he known what sort of ****storm would erupt but it's not like he was offline since the post and never had a chance to state his position.
    Good God javaboy, every single one of your posts on this thread have come down on the side of the moderators arguments. Every one.

Now in most feedback threads that would be fine but in this thread the mods clearly have a case to answer with regards to some of the arguments being made yet you seem to be ignoring them and instead pulling up the non mods at various stages throughout the thread.

There have been plenty of people at fault here (including Pighead).

Guan Yin claimed that deise had complained to the mods about the original 6 not being banned for the thanks. This was an outright lie which deise pulled her up on. Her reply:
    Hrmm, well I didn't get the original PM, so maybe I mistook the information within. However, it did mention consistancy :)
    Thats absolutely shocking. It smacks of making up lies to suit her agenda. And the "Oh well, guess I didn't read it properly" brushing it off attitude stinks too.

Apologising on message boards is simple! You don't have to look into the other persons eyes and your throat doesn't get all tight with the prospect of having to admit you are a flawed human being. Message board= five tippity tap taps and its done. SORRY. Easy.

Also she denies being the one who created the "Thanking abusive posts is a bannable offence" rule yet Neil1984 has asked for permission to post up a PM which directly contradicts this.

And now for the bits where Pighead messede up. As Guan Yin states I should have made it absolutely clear that there was no abuse intended but honest to God I was sure Xavi16 would "get it". The guys a football obsessive and I'm pretty sure had he not have had his mod had on he would have seen it for what it was straight away. Pigheads reply was almost a carbon copy of Keanes words for Haaland.
    Pighead wrote:
    Pighead had waited long enough Xavi. He fcuking hit him hard. The post was there (Pighead thinks). Take that you cnut. And don't ever stand over Pighead again sneering about not belonging in the soccer forum.

Pighead din't wait for you to to show the red card. He turned away and clicked on to the boxing forum.

If Pighead had a crystal ball and realised that the mods would go on a thanking banning spree then obviously the reply would have been something akin to "I was only messing Xavi"

Pighead wrote: »
    If Pighead had a crystal ball and realised that the mods would go on a thanking banning spree then obviously the reply would have been something akin to "I was only messing Xavi"

If you had read the charter you would not have needed a crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If you had read the charter you would not have needed a crystal ball.
    And if a bit of common sense had have been used we wouldn't have needed this overblown thread.

Simple question T4TF. Did the mods make a bit of a hames of this issue or is this totally the ordinary users fault?

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Simple question T4TF. Did the mods make a bit of a hames of this issue or is this totally the ordinary users fault?

that's a very loaded question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement