Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Des wrote: »
    this happens

anyway.

fifteen people banned?

fúck sake like.

At this rate all posts will have to be pre approved by 2012

Internet. Boardsie.Serious Business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

yeah I found it.

as I said.

complete over-reaction.

is everyone who thanked it banned, or just a chosen few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pighead rules. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

yeah I found it.

as I said.

complete over-reaction.

I think 14 + Pighead, by the looks of thing. From now on I will refer to Pighead as PNIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I presume everyone who thanked it.

You can still thank it by the way. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with the mods banning Pighead.

Believe it or not Des, it's not clear to everyone that was a parody on Roy Keane. Hell, I've been following football all my life and someone had to explain to me where the parody came from.

It doesn't matter if it's a joke or not or if it's intent or not. Abuse is abuse. If I call a poster a ****ing elephant to parody In Bruges should I get away without being banned? Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hobart wrote: »
    Was the post reported by anybody?

you could check the answer to that yourself.

but I think you already know the answer.

Anyone going to be brave enough?

deise59 wrote: »
    Believe it or not Des, it's not clear to everyone that was a parody on Roy Keane. Hell, I've been following football all my life and someone had to explain to me where the parody came from.

What? Have you been following Martian Football all these years?

It doesn't matter if it's a joke or not or if it's intent or not. Abuse is abuse. If I call a poster a ****ing elephant to parody In Bruges should I get away without being banned? Of course not.
    One of the most famous footballing commentary incidents in recent footballing history, and they had to explain it to you? Of course abuse has to have intent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

mike65 wrote: »
    Pighead rules. FACT

Too right. And if you agree with the statement above and the OP's position on being banned for thanking a post you can still add your thanks to the post as a mark of solidarity. :D Even if you are not a member of the soccer forum (/waits to see new thread in the dev forum)

That is before the mods lock it to stop people doing so.

o/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58624105&postcount=290

I thought it was hilarious

Mike are u gonnaa thank it? i will if u do. No OTT thread for a week for me!!

you could check the answer to that yourself.

but I think you already know the answer.

Look up rhetorical Des.

I'll only do it if everyone else on this thread does it but as I can't trust any of you any further than I could throw you I won't put myself in the position of the boy who strips off at the beach first and then everyone else runs way! :pac:

LOL its like we're at a dico and we're 14 years old. Guys on one side, girls on the other. Who walks first!!

Tbh its a complete joke, the username was keane so he gave him the Saipan rant...very clever actually. Definitely thankable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

hilarious

Lots of users get banned off the site permanently for saying things like that even if they were only joking, one rule for some one for everyone else :)

banning 14 people for saying thanks is roflcoptor

One of the most famous footballing commentary incidents in recent footballing history, and they had to explain it to you? Of course abuse has to have intent.

I'm not the only one who didn't get the joke Hobart. Nowhere near it.

My point is, how can someone get away with a paragraph of abuse like that on the soccer forum when everyone knows if he posted the same on something like AH he'll be shown the door in a second.

I don't envy the mods, because they've a tough job in determining whats regarded as a joke and what's not. But in a situation like this they did the right thing IMO.

Just for the record, I don't agree with the length of the ban for everyone that thanked the post, an infraction would've done, especially considering the numbers of people involved. But Pighead did deserve to banned in the first place.

My point is, how can someone get away with a paragraph of abuse like that on the soccer forum when everyone knows if he posted the same on something like AH he'll be shown the door in a second.

Well they wouldn't get the joke in AH because they havn't spent their entire lives watching football...oh hang on sorry....you didn't get it did you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I cant believe this thread has had such a good response. I honestly thought that it would get about 10 views and like 1 response. Nice to see some of the soccer lads on here showing solidarity. Viva La Revolucion brothers !

Boggles wrote: »
    Well they wouldn't get the joke in AH because they havn't spent their entire lives watching football...oh hang on sorry....you didn't get it did you? ;)

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

That's not the reason why this topic started anyway. It's for the people who thanked the post, people who were hard done by in my view.

• Advertisement

Is this thanking an "abusive post" a new rule rule?

Boggles wrote: »
    Is this thanking an "abusive post" a new rule rule?

Rules change. i found out this week that we have a rule, that's not a rule, but that may be a rule, or may not be a rule?? (I'm serious btw)

GuanYin wrote: »
    The rules are clearly outlined. Every poster in soccer has read the rules and every poster has agreed to follow the rules.

GuanYin wrote: »
    It's in the charter, you agreed to follow it. If you now no longer wish to follow it, let me know and I'll return your permissions to read-only.

It's not really that clear considering they change frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd still like to know why they weren't simply Infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, because SOME people might not know the reference, every who got it and thought it funny deserves the ban. Nice.

I can see why Pighead got banned, but the rest getting a ban is such a massive over reaction. And here was me thinking the new rules in the soccer forum would make it fun again. Oh well. As i said in the United thread, people are way to uppity in the soccer forum.

So, because SOME people might not know the reference, every who got it and thought it funny deserves the ban. Nice.

My god, did you even read my post? :confused:

I never said everyone that thanked the post and thought it was funny deserved to be banned.

I've already said that was OTT by the mods and a simple infraction would have sufficed.

What I did say was that Pighead deserved to be banned because regardless of what you're parodying, you can't post stuff like that and expect to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My god, did you even read my post? :confused:

I never said everyone that thanked the post and thought it was funny deserved to be banned.

I've already said that was OTT by the mods and a simple infraction would have sufficed.

What I did say was that Pighead deserved to be banned because regardless of what you're parodying, you can't post stuff like that and expect to get away with it.

apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was a very funny parody but it was intended to push the boundary, so the risk of a ban was always there.

No win situation for whoever banned him, because if there is no ban, you're basically advocating a insult loop-hole; if there is, you look tyrannical. Who'd be a soccer mod? :D

Thought a yellow card (and a warning for future instances) for the thanks would have sufficed though.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rules change. i found out this week that we have a rule, that's not a rule, but that may be a rule, or may not be a rule?? (I'm serious btw)
    Thats bullsh*t.

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Thats bullsh*t.

DeV.

It's not. Re-read what I sent you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement