Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Can we all be friends again yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GuanYin wrote: »

bigbabyjebus_lets-bee-friends.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bff_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

javaboy wrote: »
    bff_1.jpg

I don't get it?

themont85 wrote: »
    I don't get it?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Acronyms ftl

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You were asked a straight out question at the time. Why didn't you answer straight out?

I've posted a straigt up argument to you twice in this thread, both times within the timeframe you were on this thread discussing the issue, and you have responded neither times. (around post 160 was the first)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

EDIT...removed text..couldn't be arsed as no point in trying to get some people to acknowledge a mistake. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not really no, you made a mistake here by inventing the punishment you did for us. I don't know if you expected some sort of reaction when you dreamed up making us reapply for access* instead of giving us a yellow card or just straight out weeks ban. Here is your reaction. Enjoy!

*A good way to piss off posters if this thread is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus what a train crash of a thread. It has had nearly everything, my high point has to be this.
    My advice to you is simple. Drop the act when you're dealing with bannings and such. Funny has a time and place. If you hadn't assumed or if the matter had been cleared up at the time, we wouldn't be here now.

GuanYin giving Pighead advice on humour.

It's like Ronny Rosenthal teaching Lionel Messi kick ups. Brilliant. :D

Xavi, GuanYin, that is a soccer reference Pm me if you want details. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »

HAH:D

Boggles wrote: »

Xavi6 wrote: »

Good man Xavi that's the one I was thinking of, he was a genius.

Any truth in the Rumour Rafa wants him back? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah, he's holding out for Darren Bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Moderating soccer is one of teh most thankless tasks on the whole of Boards. Gangs of semi-literates who either are or act like children. It's a tough one to manage. And moderation isn't a popularity contest - a forum like soccer requires strict moderation and there will be inevitable arguments when bans are handed out. Mods in there need to accept that they won't be the most popular kids in class.

Even so some of teh abuse levelled at GY is over the line - what does her gender or nationality matter FFS?!

Now all that said it is one thing for a mod to be unpopular and another for them to be disrespected. Mods are like the police - they need compliance from the public to do thier job. If you don't respect the authority of the position then a Guard is just a guy in a blue suit bossing you around. And that way anarchy lies.

The new rules in soccer were not popular when introduced and they clearly are not working. Despite this any attempt at discussing the changes were stamped down on and threads were locked. At the time the justification was "at least give it a chance". At the time there were feedback threads lamenting the high handed and autocratic moderation, in particular teh way certain Mods communicated with the users. At this stage I think that the 40 pages of (occasionally vitriolic) feedback shows that the new rules have been given a chance and they are not doing what they were supposed to do and equally that the Mods have not taken earlier feedback on board and continue to antagonise posters.

I also think it is clear that at least one of teh mods has "lost the dressing room" - thier authority is gone, they seem to be universally disrespected and I struggle to see how they can justify maintaining thier position. In fact I'm not even sure why they would want to maintain thier position, I fail to see how they can gain any level of satisfaction from giving thier time where it is so plainly not wanted.

As an aside it is possible to moderate a difficult forum and be respected - FC and PDN got Christianity through a rocky patch without loosing the goodwill of the locals. And didn't the newly renamed Terry win Mod of the year despite moderating the ban-fest that is AH? Even OB in Politics carries the respect of the community. Mature, civilised and responsible moderation is vital in volatile forums. I don't see much maturity, civility or any (personal) responsibility in some moderator actions either on here or in the forum.

And in response to the "but soccer is growing, its the 2nd biggest forum so it must be working" defence - Boards is the biggest Irish community website by a considerable distance. Soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and in this country. Frankly the fact that soccer is not the biggest forum by a considerable distance shows that the moderation isn't working, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and in this country.

Quoted for untruth ;) Should be though.

Idea...soccer == thunderdome. Enter at your own peril. No mods. Let em fight it out.

Only moderate for legal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Gangs of semi-literates who either are or act like children.

You have some nerve starting an idiotic rant on respect and in your opening breath you're making moronic childish comments on the posters.

Classy.

ntlbell wrote: »
    You have some nerve starting an idiotic rant on respect and in your opening breath you're making moronic childish comments on the posters.

I didn't say that ALL the posters were children. But there are gangs of muppets in there, if you can't see that then we're looking at different forums

themont85 wrote: »
    I don't get it?

I don't think some of the people who come to the soccer forum can spell football, never mind understand it, at home they have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what's going on out on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Idea...soccer == thunderdome. Enter at your own peril. No mods. Let em fight it out.

Only moderate for legal issues.

If people want that then they know where the likes of F365 are.

<insert name here>, what about all the little kids in Ireland who have you as a role model, Who love you, who'd love to see you back in Soccer and who are absolutely appalled that this row has taken place and don't know what to say?

Is there not a part of you that says 'forget about pride, what's more important is going out and doing the best for the forum'?

Even in the feedback thread afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, **** him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He ****ed me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wow, I can't believe the abuse you are spouting ntlbell. Out of nowhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

5starpool wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe the abuse you are spouting ntlbell. Out of nowhere too.
    5Star its NtlBells regular behaviour, he wasnt nominated for Soccer Forum Sh!tstirrer for nothing.

Chong wrote: »
    5Star its NtlBells regular behaviour, he wasnt nominated for Soccer Forum Sh!tstirrer for nothing.

I'll see ye out der on the pitch...

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'll see ye out der on the pitch...

Yes, we get the joke. Very funny, now take a banana and leave the stage

Yes, we get the joke. Very funny, now take a banana and leave the stage

Why? would you like to return to it for the second installment of your nonsensical ramblings on respect?

As this is now going way off topic, guess the lock will be in soon.

New rule added to soccer charter 24 hours before all this started which was immediately implemented to it's fullest extend over this incident...mod trying out new toy?

To summarise...42 pages with over 600 posts. The "PigHead 6" are still banned from soccer until this evening apparently when they should never have been banned (as most people agree). Mod apparently making up stories about contents of PMs. Lots of posters annoyed about how whole situation handled. No admission of honest mistake by mod which would have ended whole situation. 9 other users banned/access revoked until they grovel for it back for breaking a forum rule DELIBERATELY. Why isn't this applied to ALL bans as surely abuse is a deliberate breach of rules?

No change to policy (except one mod will now apply rule on case by case basis which others were doing anyway).

Way to go...feedback really works!

• Advertisement

Maybe another mod is the answer, freshen things up a bit, Xavi and the new mod can take it into the 22nd century.

I have a severe crick in my neck from looking over my shoulder at 2 Liverpool mods, a City and a Leeds mod, I think the new mod should be a Man United supporter, Maybe Neil or Dave (Or Des :D ).

Would make sense IMO, 2 mods to keep a general eye on the Liverpool thread it being the biggest, 1 for the United thread and Xavi to look after 4782 City transfer rumour threads generated hourly only half of them by himself.

My 2 cents, feel free to tell me fúck off, I won't take it personally or "thank it" for that matter. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement