Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum for "thanks"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Des wrote: »
    which post was it?

edit.

lol

warning for this?

ffs.

peopole getting banned for thanking it is a complete joke.

it's clearly a parody of Roy Keane.

jaysis.

lighten up

hahahah :D:D That's hilarious!! I've not laughed out loud for so long at a post. Definite piss take/parody of Keano in Saipan.

I've thanked the post cause I think it's funny. I don't/can't post in Soccer, wonder will I get a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hahahah :D:D That's hilarious!! I've not laughed out loud for so long at a post. Definite piss take/parody of Keano in Saipan.

I've thanked the post cause I think it's funny. I don't/can't post in Soccer, wonder will I get a ban.
    By the logic of Muffler's Microwave-Time-Machine, you were banned for this offense before you even registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

deise59 wrote: »
    Guys, you can blame me for your ban if you like. When I read Killme00s post about being banned due to the thanks, I backed him up via PM, but as you can see, the ban stood.

Then when I saw all the people thanking Pigheads abusive post I PMed one of the mods asking were they going to go down the same route as Killme's ban and ban all the people who thanked the post, because the last thing I would've wanted to see were some people being banned for one thing and others getting away scot free for the same thing.

It may seem harsh, and I do think that certain rule needs to be looked at in more detail, but the fact is there's a specific post in the charter explaining that any thanking of an abusive post gets a ban.

That said, I'm happy to see the football mods bring some consistency to the forum.

Well done. Your now a shoe in for the 'c*nt of the year' award come December imo.

Pigheads post thanked. Will Mike et all follow?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well done. Your now a shoe in for the 'c*nt of the year' award come December imo.

You are a member of this site since 2002. You know very well that kind of comment is not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect CuLT may be asked to tweak the system so thanking a poster who is banned in a forum is not possible.

Anyway at the risk of not being able to comment on the Liverpool - Everton game I have thanked Pighead for his inspired parody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Did I tell the mods to ban everyone that thanked the post? No.

If I were a mod, would I have banned everyone that thanked the post? No.

If I were a mod, given Killme00's recent banning for the same thing, I would have overturned his ban and changed it to a simple a infraction, give the same to the people who thanked Pighead the same thing, and then clear up what is a pretty vague rule in the charter.

Yeah, some c*nt :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I personally think banning posters for thanking another poster, which isnt personal abuse, nor is it a definate "I agree" (which isnt a banable offense) is stupid.

Btw mike, not sure if you were taking the pisss or not, but feedback does actually work.

Did I tell the mods to ban everyone that thanked the post? No.

Eh, what the hell did you expect them to do? You musto f realised they were going to ban everyone.

If I were a mod, would I have banned everyone that thanked the post? No.

If I were a mod, given Killme00's recent banning for the same thing, I would have overturned his ban and changed it to a simple a infraction, give the same to the people who thanked Pighead the same thing, and then clear up what is a pretty vague rule in the charter.

Yeah, some c*nt :rolleyes:

Your not a mod though. Why not bring the rule up in this thread instead of running to the mods asking why they havent banned everyone that thanked pigheads post?

Eh, what the hell did you expect them to do? You musto f realised they were going to ban everyone.

Given Killme's ban last week, I honestly didn't know what they were going to do. All I did was highlight to them that they needed to take Killme's ban into consideration before deciding to take action. And given the amount of bans they would've had to enforce (as they have done), surely the easier option would've been overturning Killme's ban instead.

The reason I backed Killme up in the first place last week was for occasions precisely like this one. People don't necessarily thank posts to agree with the poster. I let that known last week, but the ban still stood.
    Your not a mod though. Why not bring the rule up in this thread instead of running to the mods asking why they havent banned everyone that thanked pigheads post?

You're right, I'm not a mod. That doesn't stop me giving my opinions here though.

I had considered creating a feedback thread when I read the post last night, but since I knew Xavi would be online given the timezone difference I asked him for his opinion instead. He replied very well, told me he'd wait until all the mods came online before making a decision, and that was that.

I didn't hear anything else about it until I saw this thread.

This has been a pet hate of GYs for a long long time so I'm not suprised to see it happen but I am disappointed. It also seems to have been enforced inconsistently. I wouldn't ban anyone from the forum I mod for thanking an abusive post because to be honest with you I take the "Thanks" feature with more than a pinch of salt given some of the posts I've thanked in the past.

So I'm gonna thank Piggys post cos it was a clever twist of Keanos rant, I'll take whatever I get for it and that'll be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

PigHeads post was a class piss take...funniest thing I have seen on here in a long time and should be post of the day. I can understand why the mod banned him but to ban the people who thanked him is a joke.

Did the mod even "get" the joke? I do seem to recall a certain soccer mod saying in the past that he had no interest in soccer at all. Is this what happened? Mod doesn't know enough about the subject he is modding to get a joke and as a result completely over-reacts?

Ludo wrote: »
    PigHeads post was a class piss take...funniest thing I have seen on here in a long time and should be post of the day. I can understand why the mod banned him but to ban the people who thanked him is a joke.

Did the mod even "get" the joke? I do seem to recall a certain soccer mod saying in the past that he had no interest in soccer at all. Is this what happened? Mod doesn't know enough about the subject he is modding to get a joke and as a result completely over-reacts?

Ah yeah , it was a pyrrhic victory for Pighead for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I found the post funny . The banning is indicative of the problems with the soccer forum. It appears that the oh so easily offended must be protected at all cost even to the detriment of the forum and having a bit of a laugh . Banning 16 users for thanking a post is laughable TBH.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I found the post funny . The banning is indicative of the problems with the soccer forum. It appears that the oh so easily offended must be protected at all cost even to the detriment of the forum and having a bit of a laugh . Banning 16 users for thanking a post is laughable TBH.

Well said

EDIT: Got my PM.

You're welcome GY, I know you've been waitin for the chance to do that for a while now. :)

Guess what just happened?!

Yep sign in here (cos I'd hate to think anyone of us got special treatment)

mike65 wrote: »
    Guess what just happened?!

Yep sign in here (cos I'd hate to think anyone of us got special treatment)

Brilliant!! I love it! So Mike, looks like I'm gonna get to know the other forums! Any suggestions!?

Why bother ? I've never posted in Soccer and havn't applied to post, read through it a few times though.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while...

I see she deleted the post aswell, probaly realised it was going to end up with a huge amount of thanks. It's a shame one of the potentially biggest forums on boards is being ruinded by some paranoid naziesqu modding.

Haha yet another cop out.

If the post is deleted then my thanks is deleted and my ban is lifted is it not?!

• Advertisement

It could've been post of the day had this thread appeared earlier

Brilliant!! I love it! So Mike, looks like I'm gonna get to know the other forums! Any suggestions!?

er er er like Music? Motors? Top Gear? Weather? Time Machines and Microwaves? Ah no that one hasn't been invented yet. But we do have a Servers and Systems forum would you belive? Wonder what it would take to get banned from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Everyone who thanked the post has had their permissions form soccer removed.

They're not banned per se, they just no longer have posting rights.

You may re-apply for soccer access via soccer access requests in one week.

I'm not going to say you'll get your access restored. You've deliberately breached the rules so I may lay some special conditions on your access, maybe even a probationary period, because NORMALLY if someone deliberately broke the rules, they would be looking at at least a month ban.

The original 5 who were banned before this thread will have their access automatically restored in one week from yesterday.

I take no pleasure in banning anyone, but if you wanted to test to see what would happen if you rocked the boat, take this as the answer.

GuanYin wrote: »

I take no pleasure in banning anyone, but if you wanted to test to see what would happen if you rocked the boat, take this as the answer.

No, just in coming up with stupid rules and enforcing them.

I'm not going to say you'll get your access restored. You've deliberately breached the rules so I may lay some special conditions on your access, maybe even a probationary period, because NORMALLY if someone deliberately broke the rules, they would be looking at at least a month ban.

The original 5 who were banned before this thread will have their access automatically restored in one week from yesterday.

Nah, I think as long as you're modding the forum I'm not bothered tbh. If you're gonna turn it into some kind of "come crawling back" thing over thanked posts then I'd rather not bother. I've been posting there for the guts of about 2 years and received one infraction before for rising to bait rather than st1rring anything. I think most people would say I behave well in there. Mike65 is a poster that I never see starting or getting involved in silly flame wars and yet you're gonna make us crawl back with special conditions.

Nah you're ok thanks.

There's a Mustard forum and a Wanderly Wagon forum

There's a Mustard forum and a Wanderly Wagon forum

That wanderly wagon forum is red hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You are a member of this site since 2002. You know very well that kind of comment is not on.

Once it was :( Before we all had to worry about revenue and Ad's.

You do take pleasure in banning people. IMO

It feeds you.

You may or may not mastubate while doing so. Im just going to guess that and after reading various charters I am more than sure that I can say that.

:pac:

So you've spent the past number of days insisting on how important it is to follow by the rules and sticking to the charter....

...and then you make up your own rule by suddenly removing everyones access to the forum and threatening to never reinstate them.

Nowhere is it said in the charter such action can be taken after thanking an abusive post.

And to think, all of this could have been avoided had you understood that the rule regarding thanked posts was highly illogical.

Something like this was bound to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

I would let my true feelings be known on this subject, but due to the "rules" I am afraid that I am

COV_DuctTapeMouth.jpg

Stand strong brothers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement