Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chest infection - 7 months

Options
  • 16-01-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Any advice.

Little fella has a combination of a bad chest infection and bad teething. Coughing, diarrhia, very mucusey and might vomit after a bottle. He's on antibiotics, but he just looks so miserable and nights are very difficult. We have taken him off solids today as he was vomitting after.

Any home remedies or anything you can recommend to help clear up his nasal passageways and/or help dry up his mucus??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

squidgey wrote: »
    Any advice.

Little fella has a combination of a bad chest infection and bad teething. Coughing, diarrhia, very mucusey and might vomit after a bottle. He's on antibiotics, but he just looks so miserable and nights are very difficult. We have taken him off solids today as he was vomitting after.

Any home remedies or anything you can recommend to help clear up his nasal passageways and/or help dry up his mucus??

I suggest going to a hospital and plead for help there, thats what I did when my kid was suffering in a similar way. 7mths sounds like your child has been sick a good part part of his life already and this should not be happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Sorry - just to clarify. He is 7 months old. Has had cough for about a week. Chest infection about 2 days now.

God help you having your little one suffer like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Our six month old is just getting over bronchiolitis and is still very clogged up too. We are finding the following things useful to help him breathe:

Taking him into a steamy bathroom. We also put a capsule of Karvol in a sink of hot water in the same bathroom,

Nose drops or spray. And a nasal bulb syringe.

Alupent syrup.

Raising the cot up slightly (at the head end) so he is not completely flat when sleeping.

Hope he gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If you have central heating try putting a damp towel over the radiator in his room at night to keep the air humid and help break down the mucus in the chest. Also you can keep boiling a kettle in his bedroom for the same room. Karvol can be put on a tissue near his cot or Snufflebabe is a rub similar to Vicks that can be used in 3mths + to help with any congestion/mucus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

+1 to the karvol, tilting the cot etc. A humidifier is great if you can get your hands on one- but boiling the kettle will do the job. I also recall opening the window now and again in the night when my little one would get really bad just to let some moist air in as the central heating left the air in her room really dry (weather and temperature dependent of course). I also tried to get my little one to sleep on her side or roll over on to her front so the goo wouldn't be running straight down the back of her nose/ throat (thus the pukes) but she was probably bigger then ie if your baby can't turn over by himself yet, don't do that (shame on me I can't remember at what age they start turning themselves at night:o).
    I hope the poor baba gets better soon. I always found the 36- 48 hour phase to be a turning point once they start anti-b's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Alupent is presciptiononly, not sure if its suitable for a child of that age either.

Id go with the tilting of the cough and the karvol in hot water in the bathroom to steam it up.

I also put baby vicks on my lo's feet, and socks over, he doesnt seem to cough as much at night, getting a better night sleep.

You can also put karvol on the pjs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

We had the same when our little one was 7 months old, you know what i found great, inhailer, GP gave it to us to help open her airways, stopped her being sick after coughing and that and it opened up the airways at night (gave her two puffs while she was asleep as we going to bed) to last her the night and it gave her the rest to get better.

She is not on it permantly just when she gets bad chest infection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jujubee

I would re-iterate the steaming. What we do is put LO in the bath (he's 23 months now) and while he's in there, bring in the kettle, pop open the lid, and let him steam away. It really does break up the phlegm for them.

I used to put Karvol on a bib tied onto the cot bars when ds was younger, but now use the vicks vaporub on his chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LadyE wrote: »
    Alupent is presciptiononly, not sure if its suitable for a child of that age either.

Should have mentioned it was prescription, OP. My bad. Doctor prescribed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Using a kettle is a bit dangerous. We use a humidifier and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Thanks for advice folks. He came out in a rash ans we got a bit worried so we bought him into hospital. Little dude has pnuemonia of all things. Poor guy, doing great now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Here is the problem,

With children under two years old they should never be give any kind of de-congestant as it lowers heart rate and depresses breathing and could be quite dangerous. If your child has a chest infection from a bacteria it would generally sound VERY wet and VERY loose. If the cough is dry with snotty nose its more then likely viral and there wont be anything that you can give. For conjestion in the nasal passages I found that saline nose drops just before bed are fantastic, it really clears it up ... for a while, long enough for them to get to sleep. It can be bought anywhere.

For helping lungs I would always use Karval. Its gental and will help open up your babys lungs .. be carful of some others like Olbas oil because its not ment for young children. After that I give calpol or neurofen and if its really bad then I give both one 2 hours after the other.

Other then that Doctors dont like to prescribe much to young children. A steaming bowl of warm water and vicks vapo rub in it could help loosing your babies chest a little but lets face it, all thats going to happen is a hand knocking over the bowl and someone getting scalded lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

squidgey wrote: »
    Thanks for advice folks. He came out in a rash ans we got a bit worried so we bought him into hospital. Little dude has pnuemonia of all things. Poor guy, doing great now though.
    poop just saw this now lol. Poor little fella, I hope he gets better soon

Advertisement