Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a site builder tool.

Options
  • 16-01-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a site builder tool to develop a html website. I already have a Flex website but having issues with people not having flash player (an cant download it as they are not administrators on their machines). I would like something that is very graphical, drag and drop type thing but my main requirements is that it has templates that you can customise. I have no problems making coding changes, I am just useless at design - hence the templates.

This is the type of site I would like, this template is a pain though as the images are part of the BG image and the titles are also images so cant be changes easily.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Do you know HTML & CSS at all?

I'd suggest just going onto a template website, searching for a template abd buying it, then using Dreamweaver to customize it.

Sadly, drag & drop interfaces for designing websites are still pretty poor because the layout technology is still fairly immature, but that will proabably do the job if you don't try change too much.

It's nothing close to what a professional would do though, so proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

dreamweaver and a fireworks combination can make a pretty flashy html site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a pretty poor knowledge of CSS and HTML programing, defintitly wouldnt be able to build a site from scratch using them anyways

I've been using a CSS template I got for free and editing it with dreamweaver. Its a work in progress but here is my site . Considering my knowledge of CSS and HTML are poor I'm quite happy with how the site is coming along, in others words Im happy enough to say it doesnt look complete kack!

There is a few cool things you can put in fairly easily too. If you go here and click on the photos , its using a java script you can get for free called lightbox

There is a good few free CSS templates you can get from the same site i did, there link is at bottom of my site (thats the only restriction to using them)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I have fairly good knowledge of html and css. I am a java programmer but I stay away from the frontend stuff normally. The templates on the web are fine if you dont need something very specific, I have actually been modifying the one I had in photoshop and doing fairly well so far but now I am stuck.

Maybe somebody can suggest a solution. I am exporting from photoshop using the save for web option, I have my slices set up to export the different images and buttons. I need to edit some main content though after it is exported, make links inside text etc. I am trying to do this in frontpage. I am adding a layer on top of the background image. I can add the text and the links no problem but when the browser is resized the text is completely in the wrong place. I am assuming this has something to do with the position: absolute but just wondering if there is a better alternative to overlaying text on an image and getting it to stay in place no matter what size the browser.

witnessmenow - your site looks really good, I love the lightbox functionality, I have seen lots of sites using it and I will defo be looking into using it my self when I am setup agian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Kaskade - It really just seems like you're hitting a normal level of technical difficulty. No drag & drop interface will offer what you're after really. You either need to just stick with a template and not modify it too much, or else look at learning CSS layout to a higher level.

Also, definitely don't use Frontpage. It' a very old and useless tool. I'd suggest either using Dreamweaver of else Microsoft Expression Web, but really the level you're aiming for is bespoke level where you either learn more about HTML & CSS, or else you hire someone who does.

G'luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Thanks P, I must try dreamweaver. To be honest I know enough about HTML and CSS to be able to write a simple site from scratch as a result of having a certain amount of exposure to it in work, particularly CSS, but not so much HTML. I really just want an easy way out of not coming straight home from work and starting into hours of development.

I have actually started to make some progress with that template in photoshop, my problem is I am useless at coming up with design ideas, I can copy things I see that I like much easier but having one that is already started like a template would save me so much time.

Thanks again.

Advertisement