Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Skool II

• 16-01-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

So, today I went and bought a 10 year old DSLR...a Nikon D1 body for €100....

It's only got 2.74MP, it's slow to write to the card, it has no USB connection on the camera, its noisy at 800 ISO (not as much as I thought it would be and don't even ask what 6400 ISO looks like!!!), the white balance isn't as accurate as I thought/hoped it would be (but I am shooting under horrible energy saving bulbs!), the RAW files are less than 4MB in size, its out of date..a dinosaur even.

I love it! I actually have to work hard to get something out of it compared to how spoiled I am with my D3. I always wanted this camera when it was released. I lusted after it almost but could never afford it back in the day. Well it's mine now and it's going to be my everyday carry around camera where I don't have to worry about it taking a knock or two.
    What do you think? This one is shot at ISO 800.

3201315289_56e3f108d9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

perfectly respectable - hmnnnn..... €100 - good stuff. And RAW files that are < 4MB - meh! who needs an external hard disk. ISO 800 is just fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

your Da?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Who else would let me take such an imprompt shot of them?!? I told him to show me angry....he just laughed at me before telling me to f**k off out of his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

he's a dude! one of my fave pics is of him in a car at night! nice one getting the D1. that was the pro model back in the day, right?

Yeah, it was the pro model way back in the day. It's funny reading the review of it by Thom Hogan.
    I'm sure my da will be glad to hear he's still a dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thats a nice buy, I'd probably snap one up for €100.

Its sad to see how much they've devalued though. The film bodies still command a premium, an F5 or F4 will still cost you a bit if you find one in good condition. I wonder if the current crop of digital bodies, the D700s/D3/xs will lose their value so quickly, given the quality of the image and the megapixallage which is bigger than most people would ever demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a digital back for Nikon bodies hanging* around the studio at the moment, 3MP, only shoots in B&W, and skuzzy port onto your comp.

It adds an extra 10 inches into the length of the camera, and looks quite hilarious.

That's a mighty sharp pic Pete, looks well, without even considering the age of the camera. Goes to show that having the newest of gear won't replace talent/skill/knowledge.

*Would lingering be a better term?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

I bought my 350D back when they were €1,500. You can pick one up now for 3 cigarettes, a half sucked gob stopper and a ball of twine.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

YeahOK wrote: »
    I bought my 350D back when they were €1,500. You can pick one up now for 3 cigarettes, a half sucked gob stopper and a ball of twine.:)

Woah!
    Never knew they were that much!:eek:
    Quite scary how much they drop,
    Have always been on the look out for a cheap 1D since i saw a Nikon D1 going cheap on adverts!
    Will have to keep waiting :p

I'd be buying a 50D with a decent lens with what I paid for my 300D and kit lens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Here's the paperweight we have lying about...
    597px-Digitalback_dcs420_01.jpg

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digitalback_dcs420_01.jpg

Wow, look at that thing! I'd love to try it out sometime if it's possible??? I don't have an N/F90 though :(
    apparantly that thing was $12,000 in 1994!!!!!!

http://www.nikonweb.com/dcs420/

We have the body on it. I think the sensor is only 10mm.

We don't have any external drives for it... nor skuzzy ports on any of our MBP's :pac:

Actually, I don't think the one there is even the model we have - Colour would have been a luxury when this was produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jon061

I still think the D1 series are a great camera. Even though I upgraded to a d300 i still love the build of my D1x once it has good glass on them they will perform great.

Think how cheap a d3x will be in 10 years time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Keep in mind when this came out there was no faith in digital photography producing profession results, resolution was far to low, I suspect the new generations will hold values better as they now are a realistic subsitute for film at large sizes and noise/ grain levels. Could be talkin out me bum tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Sorry for a little OT post, but we still haven't made the outing with film disposable cameras. That'd be old school! :D
    If you know about any event suitable for something like that, count me in! It will be nice to compare results from our wedding-clickers :pac:

Advertisement