Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i feel bad

Options
  • 16-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Shook hands with a dealer the other day and made a verbal agreement to buy a car.

But browsing the web last night i saw the same model car in the north with a higher spec, lower milage and a year younger for nearly half the price...it was too good to ignore.

So this morning i phoned the dealer and told him i was pulling out ..he had a fit callin me all sorts..saying he had the car valeted and ready for me...i said i was sorry but i had to go for this other car..he just slamed the phone down on me.

At the time i didn't give a toss....but now this evening i feel kinda sorry for the guy:(

so should i feel bad..or is that the nature of the business??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

He was trying to rip you off and you feel sorry for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Oh the poor dear had the car valeted for you. :rolleyes:

Good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DarkJager wrote: »
    He was trying to rip you off and you feel sorry for him?

but i shook hands with the guy...and he's a small time dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Fook that, ya snooze ya lose. I would have actually told him about the other motor and give him an opportunity to match the price maybe. Other than I wouldn't give a toss. It's your money at the end of the day, you can spend it were you like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

did he rejig his price at all?
    if he wanted to sell the car he would've.
    i wouldn't be too bothered imo. business is business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

fryup wrote: »
    but i shook hands with the guy...and he's a small time dealer

Just because you shook hands doesn't mean you owe him anything. If he's overpriced and a small time dealer, he'd really want to start looking at his prices before he goes to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How would you feel if you bought the southern reg car and knew everytime you drove it that you had paid more than you had to?

It's one thing throwing away cash during boom times but right now no one should be blamed for looking after their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

The dealer would have sold the car to someone else if they came in with cash, so I wouldn't worry...taste of their own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

but i shook hands with the guy...

But how do yo know he wasn't picking his arse that morning and didn't wash them after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

Absolutely have no regrets about doing that.
    Verbal agreement isnt worth a thing.
    I would imagine if he got a higher price after your verbal agreement he would not have hesitated sleeling it to another customer.

You made the right decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont feel bad, he's done enough deals to know it can happen. The timing stinks but thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bit of both, really. I'd feel a bit bad too (I still believe in handshakes), but at the end of the day what were you going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

Poor dealer, but with a little therapy, I'm sure he'll get over it.

as bad as I would have felt before I called him, the minute he verbally abused me and slammed down the phone would have been the same minute I realised I had made the right decision....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You're a nice person in that you felt somewhat sorry for the guy, and if his price was only a little higher, you might go ahead with the deal, for the convenience of being able to go back to him if there were any issues, but if you can save nearly half the money, as you say, then you were right to call the deal off...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

you should not feel sorry,you just changed your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Don't feel bad.

Now you know what he would have been like to deal with if you had any aftersale problems, best of luck with your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe if i ...just do the good ol'oirish thing and.....buy him a pint it will all be forgotten about:)

and then sometime in the future he could valet my car:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

and then sometime in the future he could valet my car:pac:

I know you're joking, but if you did give it to him to valet, I'd check the brakes afterwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

F**k 'im.
    I phoned a dealer the other week to say I was on the way over to him with a deposit on a 04 Mazda 6. Said I would be with him by lunchtime (this was 10.45am). I arrived at the garage at 12.10 and he said he sold it 5 minutes earlier. Anyway I hit the roof at the time as the car was well priced €5,800 but needed a little attention tothe paint work which I was prepared to get done myself, a total waste of journey.
    Any way I saw another on usedcarsni.com for the same money roughly (6k) in immaculate nick with full spec and full svc history.
    Brought it home the following saturday and I'm chuffed with my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

Would agree F*&k him, you in essence did nothing wrong just a better deal was to be had. 9.9976/10 dealers would not think twice about screwing you if they got 500e better offer on a car they had provisionally agreed to sell you -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Funny thing....

Someone was on here last week about a dealer doing that to her.... Saying it wasnt right that he sold it even tho they had a "verbal" agreement.

Unless you sign something, or pay a deposit its tough sh*t both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Surely his outburst to you and would negate any sort of (entirely understandable) feelings of guilt/pity you may have had for him? If that were me I'd name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

Don't feel bad - a dealer recently did a similar thing to me. Got a lot of quotes went with the best one and then got some cock and bull about being misquoted - dealer not getting new reg bonus, selling the car at a loss etc.. and he had to raise the quote.

Why not ask the dealer to match the offer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

any links to the 2 cars in question?

i assume you've allowed for travel and vrt etc etc to be factored into the equation.

its tough times as others have said, you need to be carefull where and how you spend your money at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Why feel bad, that dealer would have sold the car if another customer came in, this recently happened to a poster, see link below. Also f'ing you off and slamming down the phone just shows you the kind of person this "dealer" is. Enjoy your newer, higher spec and cheaper car ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055459602

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not personal, it's just business
    Enjoy your new car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't feel bad - a dealer recently did a similar thing to me. Got a lot of quotes went with the best one and then got some cock and bull about being misquoted - dealer not getting new reg bonus, selling the car at a loss etc.. and he had to raise the quote.

Why not ask the dealer to match the offer.

Wait, what? Did you order a new car or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

Wait, what? Did you order a new car or something?

Yeah - decided to go with a new car in the end. With new regs down by about 70% I reckoned that there are some deals to be had, particularly in areas where there has been bad news about job losses recently and areas most affected by shoppers going north - ie. border counties and the midlands. The best quotes were from these areas - 15 to 16% discounts vs Dublin 6 to 8% discounts. I'm quite sure that the dealer in question tried to call my bluff rather than making a genuine mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah - decided to go with a new car in the end. With new regs down by about 70% I reckoned that there are some deals to be had, particularly in areas where there has been bad news about job losses recently and areas most affected by shoppers going north - ie. border counties and the midlands. The best quotes were from these areas - 15 to 16% discounts vs Dublin 6 to 8% discounts. I'm quite sure that the dealer in question tried to call my bluff rather than making a genuine mistake.

What i meant was did you order a new car and then cancel it?

Advertisement