Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing new hard drive on vista laptop

• 16-01-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thanks for any advice in advance. Ok I got a new hard drive, a wd scorpio blue 320gb 2.5 sata. At the moment I am trying to replace the 120 gb drive I have. I have a sony vaoi fz series with vista home premium.
    So i first tried to ghost the drive using norton and an icy box. This completed and i removed the old drive and put in new. Didnt work. I then tried just putting blank drive in a installing fresh copy of windows. It said it was missing files. So i downloaded the sata drivers and loaded them up and got the same message. Ive tried googleing it but everything ive tried so far wont work. Anyone have any suggestion. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

How did you load up the sata drivers??.

At what part of the Vista install is it not working for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I went to the sony support site. Downloaded them and burnt them. The when you get to the select partition or hard drive part of the instalation there is an option to load drivers. I did that and it loaded went on to the vista install screen. Got to 100% copying files then stayed at 0% expanding files. And i got error code 0x80070017.

Right the error code is pointing to a few possibilities...

1. The Vista DVD you are installing from is corrupt, no the drivers dvd. If you can paritition and format the drive then you know your sata drivers are correct.
    Did you paritition the drive. Is it a burnt version of vista?. If so at what speed did you burn it at?.

2. Your new hard drive is not set to Master

3. Theres a problem with your DVD drive, though if you could partition the drive and install the sata drivers I think its unlikely.

4. Bad memory Dimm, might what do do a Memcheck on it.

I'd say firstly, reseat the dvd drive cable, check that the new drive is the master and reseat cable and try again.

If that doesn't work then try a new copy of vista and burn it at the slowest speed possible.

Lastly if your still stuck, run a memory check and reseat your memory modules..

Feelgood wrote: »
    Right the error code is pointing to a few possibilities...

1. The Vista DVD you are installing from is corrupt, no the drivers dvd. If you can paritition and format the drive then you know your sata drivers are correct.
    Ok I was able to format the drive by connecting it by usb to laptop
    Did you paritition the drive. Is it a burnt version of vista?. If so at what speed did you burn it at?.

No genuine vista dvd

2. Your new hard drive is not set to Master

Not sure what that is. I googled it, is it when you block certain pins on the drive

3. Theres a problem with your DVD drive, though if you could partition the drive and install the sata drivers I think its unlikely.

Drive is fine as far as i know

4. Bad memory Dimm, might what do do a Memcheck on it.

Ran full set of vaoi diagnostics came back everything fine

I'd say firstly, reseat the dvd drive cable, check that the new drive is the master and reseat cable and try again.

If that doesn't work then try a new copy of vista and burn it at the slowest speed possible.

Lastly if your still stuck, run a memory check and reseat your memory modules..
    v

thanks for your help. Would it have anything to do with the way i formated the drive when i first got it. Like i just connected it to laptop by usb and formatted it to a simple ntfs.

jd83 wrote: »
    v

thanks for your help. Would it have anything to do with the way i formated the drive when i first got it. Like i just connected it to laptop by usb and formatted it to a simple ntfs.

No probs at all,

Ah yes now your talking, Id say that might have something to do with it alright.

Right follow these steps..

1. Set the drive to Master using the jumper settings on the drive.

2. Stick it into your machine, ensure cables are in right etc.

3. Begin the vista install and load the sata drivers. You may not need to load the sata drivers at all. If the vista install comes up asking you to setup the partitions on the drive then you don't need the sata drivers...

4. Repartition and format the drive using the vista install partitioning tools and then continue the install.

By the sounds of things because you formatted the drive via USB externally, vista hasn't written to the master boot record for the drive and all the other bits. So make sure you use the vista partitioning / format tools and definitely do a 'quick' reformat on it to NTFS.

Like I said try it without the sata drivers, I think you will find that the drive will still pop up in install.

• Advertisement

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1410&p_created=#jumper

I have it set at the default setting on that picture. When i get to the partitioning part in vista installation it doesnt let me delete or formate there gosted over. So will i have to format it again using the usb

But its seeing the ghosted drive?. That's good means you don't need the sata drivers...

So I take it you put a ghosted image of Vista onto the drive, aka a ghosted image of your previous drive?. Is this still on the drive?

Yes I would just reformat it again using USB to NTFS as a blank drive with no ghosted image on it prior to setting Vista up on the drive using Vista CD and partitioning / format tools.

The ghost image has probably changed the permissions on the drive which is why it won't allow you to delete a partition or reformat it. I can't unfortunately tell you how to setup vista with a ghost image on a new drive, haven't used Norton ghost in years!. Am quite sure its possible though maybe your missing a step or 2...

ok thanks for your help. Ill try that.
    You will prob see a wd 320gb hard drive up on adverts.ie in a few hours :)

Hehe, I'll buy it off you, positive thinking my man. PC's are all spiritual..

Just had a quick glance through Norton Ghost manual there..

Once you get a fresh copy of Vista on the go, you should be able to just install Norton Ghost on the new drive, put your old drive in the usb caddy and recover your files that way.

so essentially, your still getting a ghosted image of your old drive just slightly backways if you know what I mean..

cool got it installed just formatted the drive again and it worked. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement