Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Elective

Options
  • 16-01-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for advice on a maths elective I'm thinking of doing. It's
    MATH20160: Polynomial Rings and Group Theory.
    I have taken Numbers & Functions (MATH10040) in Semester 1. I'm looking for advice from somebody who has taken both of these electives and whether or not it's a smooth transition from one to the other (i.e. difficulty)

Comments

I've done both.

They don't really have a lot to do with each other. Polynomials Rings is really more of a follow up to Vector Spaces & Coding. Although I know people who haven't done Vector Spaces and enjoyed it.

The lecturer is a very nice guy and the course itself is very interesting. As far as difficulty is concerned, my friends and I thought it was a lot easier than Numbers & Functions, and with a lot less workload.

Hope that helps. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

To me it seems more like Linear Algebra (which sounds similar to that Vector Spaces and Coding module) would be necessary. Have you done that alan4cult? Or at least come across Groups and Rings before?
    ...They don't really have a lot to do with each other. Polynomials Rings is really more of a follow up to Vector Spaces & Coding...

Just out of curiousity, on the module descriptor for Polynomial Groups & Rings it lists Numbers & Functions as a prerequisite, do you reckon someone who hasn't done Numbers and Functions would be at a big disadvantage Aristotle?

Are the course notes for Polynomial Groups & Rings and Vector Spaces & Coding any good do you think? Are they online or handwritten?

Cheers...

Just out of curiousity, on the module descriptor for Polynomial Groups & Rings it lists Numbers & Functions as a prerequisite, do you reckon someone who hasn't done Numbers and Functions would be at a big disadvantage Aristotle?

I wouldn't say so. In fact I don't really remember any reference to anything in Numbers & Functions. If there was it was very small and was probably explained again at the time.
    Are the course notes for Polynomial Groups & Rings and Vector Spaces & Coding any good do you think? Are they online or handwritten?

When I did each two years they were both typed notes and very good notes. If the lecturer for Polynomial Rings is the same lecturer as when I did it then he will put all of his notes online in the first week, so you can have a brief read through them and stay if it's your kind of thing or drop out with plenty of time left to pick something else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I wouldn't say so. In fact I don't really remember any reference to anything in Numbers & Functions. If there was it was very small and was probably explained again at the time.

When I did each two years they were both typed notes and very good notes. If the lecturer for Polynomial Rings is the same lecturer as when I did it then he will put all of his notes online in the first week, so you can have a brief read through them and stay if it's your kind of thing or drop out with plenty of time left to pick something else....
    I did Vectors Spaces & Coding last semester, it's a different lecturer. He didn't put anything on blackboard (he mentioned something about not having a login). Luckily I had grabbed the blackboard notes from the previous year before they were removed. We took down the notes in class.

Advertisement