Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-Phones,while great,have many problems

Options
  • 16-01-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Recently got an I-Phone and while it is a great phone, there a few problems with it that is annoying me and am wondering are others finding it as annoying as I

Problems include;
    The alarm will not got off when phone is turned off. Any phone I ever had before this one, if I set the alarm to go off and turn off the phone, the alarm goes off. Not with the I-Phone which has made me late for work a few times.
    No flash on the camera. Again any phone I ever had had a flash on the camera which the I-Phone doesnt meaning any pictures taken at nighttime are to dark.
    Battery. I feel like I am powering the battery the whole time, especially if I go on the net. I think this will wear down the usefullness of the battery in time.
    App Store. Not everything can be downloaded from the app story like facebook as it depends what type of I-phone one has which is stupid

Anyone have any other problems let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'll address some of the issues with some bias (:p) but I will say first that there is no perfect phone...
    jdscrubs wrote: »
    The alarm will not got off when phone is turned off. Any phone I ever had before this one, if I set the alarm to go off and turn off the phone, the alarm goes off. Not with the I-Phone which has made me late for work a few times.

Why would you turn it off? The iPhone is like the iPod in that they stay on perpetually. They just put themselves to sleep per se. If you don't want to receive calls/texts, stick it into Airplane mode and turn on your alarm...
    No flash on the camera. Again any phone I ever had had a flash on the camera which the I-Phone doesnt meaning any pictures taken at nighttime are to dark.

My old Nokia had flash. It was awful and didn't work very well. My dad has a new Nokia which has flash. It's awful and doesn't work very well. If you wanted a camera, buy one. In fairness, the iPhone doesn't exactly boast the camera as a major feature... it needs to have it just for the sake of not alienating people migrating from camera phones.
    Battery. I feel like I am powering the battery the whole time, especially if I go on the net. I think this will wear down the usefullness of the battery in time.

Turn off 3G, bluetooth and WiFi. Problem solved!
    App Store. Not everything can be downloaded from the app story like facebook as it depends what type of I-phone one has which is stupid

Never come accross this. If it's some programs being destined only for iPhone 3G's, then it's understandable. The 3G has more features then the 2G...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have the facebook app installed from the app store on my iphone 2g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Just turn the phone off altogether and carry it around with you-
    It's still extremely fashionable and pretty.
    Functionality is overrated tbh.
    :p;)

Seriously though, turning all those things off is a bit of a compromise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i wouldn't turn off 3g if i had a 3g iphone.

i do however have bluetooth constantly off (i have no need for it whatsoever) and wifi is only turned on when i know i'm within range of an access point that i can gain access to, otherwise i'm just wasting battery constantly scanning for wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I'll address some of the issues with some bias (:p) but I will say first that there is no perfect phone...

have you ever used the iPhone's (3G) safari on 2G? it's slow. Really slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

strecker wrote: »
    i wouldn't turn off 3g if i had a 3g iphone..
    mkennedy wrote: »

I'd imagine he meant turn off 3G if you don't need it and turn it on when you do. In fairness, you only need it if you are doing online stuff, it doesn't really need to be on while the phone is in your pocket! I keep bluetooth, 3G, wireless, push email and location services off unless needed and I have the brightness down quite low most of the time. It has a huge impact on the battery life when all these are off.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'd imagine he meant turn off 3G if you don't need it and turn it on when you do. In fairness, you only need it if you are doing online stuff, it doesn't really need to be on while the phone is in your pocket! I keep bluetooth, 3G, wireless, push email and location services off unless needed and I have the brightness down quite low most of the time. It has a huge impact on the battery life when all these are off.

Yeah, you're right of course!

And I love it how easy apple made it to disable all this stuff...hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

There is a good reason to turn off 3G, if you are in the car, outside the major urban areas and making a lot of calls, you will get a lot of dropped calls on the 3g network. The 2g network is a lot more reliable and better developed (on any of the networks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Jailbreak it and install sbsettings, instant access to 3G, wifi and brightness

It's hardly hard work, to be fair. They're all only two or three taps once you're in the services menu. It's not Windows Vista we're talking about here. :)

And if it's jailbroken and you have bossprefs installed it's easy-peasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

i do however have bluetooth constantly off (i have no need for it whatsoever) and wifi is only turned on when i know i'm within range of an access point that i can gain access to, otherwise i'm just wasting battery constantly scanning for wifi.

I find bluetooth to be the worst for sucking the life out of the battery...! I just turn it on when needed..! To me the features and usability of this phone far outweigh anything that might be missing. Ye just learn to live with em...!!!!!

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Two things that get on my nerves are that for Bluetooth wifi and 3g you have to dig through about 10 menues to get at them. They should be accessable on the main home screen.

And would it kill them to add "open link in new window" in safari. It's a pain in the arse having to go out open new window and start all over again.

Have noticed that it's getting slower the more stuff I have on it. I have like 13gbs and you can really notice the difference.

Great phone and battery life over all though.

Appleguy wrote: »
    Two things that get on my nerves are that for Bluetooth wifi and 3g you have to dig through about 10 menues to get at them. They should be accessable on the main home screen.

And would it kill them to add "open link in new window" in safari. It's a pain in the arse having to go out open new window and start all over again.

Have noticed that it's getting slower the more stuff I have on it. I have like 13gbs and you can really notice the difference.

Great phone and battery life over all though.

It's hardly '10 menus'. Wi-fi is off the main settings page, bluetooth is off settings/general and 3G is off settings/general/network. I don't think I've used any phone or pda that has any of these settings accessable from the home screen, they are always found in submenus of the settings page.
    Are people really after getting *that* lazy, that 4-5 button presses to get to a particular setting is considered hard work or cumbersome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I am going to be totally boring and say the iPhone is prob one of the best phones i have ever had! Easy to use i love my email coming straght through i have a couple of camera's so not that bothered with that feature i have my bluetooth turned off all the time, The apps are not too bad there are a couple like iFart and a few other ones that are quite funny, but i can't see how anybody could dislike this phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

I have none of those problems, I dont turn it off though.
    If I only tuen on Wifi when I need it then I get 2.5 - 3 days from a FULL charge to empty more or less my data usage is about 260MB per month and I use the call credit of 175mins
    All great except for copy/paste and sms forward

I love the phone!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The one I bought(2g) came with a new battery that I installed in it(1850 mah)

I can get over 10 days without having to charge mine and thats with wifi on and bluetooth off.Usually get from Monday to Friday without a charge though.

My only complaint with the iphone is that you cant send files through bluetooth.In every other respect its probably the best phone Ive ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Hellrazer wrote: »
    The one I bought(2g) came with a new battery that I installed in it(1850 mah)

Whats the mah on the original battery? Is it hard to install a non native battery into the ipod?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

coffey-16 wrote: »
    Whats the mah on the original battery? Is it hard to install a non native battery into the ipod?

I think the original one is 850 mah.

Its quite easy to install once you`re handy with a soldering iron.
    Theres 3 small points to be soldered.
    Full guide here :
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/iPhone-1st-Gen-/Battery/105/9/Page-1

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I think the original one is 850 mah.

Its quite easy to install once you`re handy with a soldering iron.
    Theres 3 small points to be soldered.
    Full guide here :
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/iPhone-1st-Gen-/Battery/105/9/Page-1

Thanks alot ill have a go at that when i work up the courage to open her up!:rolleyes:

It's hardly '10 menus'. Wi-fi is off the main settings page, bluetooth is off settings/general and 3G is off settings/general/network. I don't think I've used any phone or pda that has any of these settings accessable from the home screen, they are always found in submenus of the settings page.
    Are people really after getting *that* lazy, that 4-5 button presses to get to a particular setting is considered hard work or cumbersome?

I dont think it is people being lazy, I hate having to wait what seems like a massively variable amount of time for the settings screen to load, while I wont die waiting, I shouldnt have to on a phone that came from the sweat of jesus.

Anyway, as you say, install bossprefs or SBsettings and it gets around this......why apple did not do it in the first place is hard to work out, I guess its another case of apple telling you what is best and having to put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

How does one get the brightness down on the Iphone?. It is great having the IPhone as it is the best phone I have had, its just the problems I outlined at the start were annoying when I first got it but are becoming less annoying every day.

I would agree with the comment about having to go through a lot of stuff to get to what you want as that takes up battery time.

gcgirl wrote: »
    I am going to be totally boring and say the iPhone is prob one of the best phones i have ever had! Easy to use i love my email coming straght through i have a couple of camera's so not that bothered with that feature i have my bluetooth turned off all the time, The apps are not too bad there are a couple like iFart and a few other ones that are quite funny, but i can't see how anybody could dislike this phone!!

I think that tells me all I need to know.

There are so many problems with the phone its not funny anymore, I cant see how people like waiting for something as simple as the SMS screen to load......its just text messaging.......while on that point, for the love of Jobs would you please show me my ,essages like every other phone and not the way YOU (apple) think it should be. (yes I know there are other apps for text, but I shouldnt have to hunting for a good sms app)

Dont even get me started on safari crashing in landscape mode just about everytime.

Agree!
    And hey, the apps? Gimme a break!
    A bloody rss news reader that doesn't work without wifi? Another one doesn't work without location 'awareness'...
    And then you have to close the app and scroll to where you can activate this or that setting - most of which can be toggled on an s60 phone with one button press/hold...
    Yes, repeat: the iphone does what it does very well! And no wonder: phones have been doing that for years...
    Also agree re. 'that one shouldn't have to listen to what an unlocked iphone can do, or what a 3rd party app would add', when every midrange phone does it out of the box!

Agree!
    And hey, the apps? Gimme a break!
    A bloody rss news reader that doesn't work without wifi? Another one doesn't work without location 'awareness'...
    And then you have to close the app and scroll to where you can activate this or that setting - most of which can be toggled on an s60 phone with one button press/hold...
    Yes, repeat: the iphone does what it does very well! And no wonder: phones have been doing that for years...
    Also agree re. 'that one shouldn't have to listen to what an unlocked iphone can do, or what a 3rd party app would add', when every midrange phone does it out of the box!

The thing is, the more time people spend with the phone (my 4 freinds that have one) the more it annoys them....... I came from a SE p910 and a blackberry 8800, and a nokia 8800, the last few phones I had, and while none of them were perfect they did not do my head in like the iphone (and the majority of the people that have iphones)

I got it because I was hearing all this "it just works" and for the few minutes I played with one in an O2 store, it did work.............the problem starts when you get it home and discover its mostly marketing and being hypnotised by what admittedly is a very slick UI.

As ai have said in other threads on boards.ie if the Palm Pre is in anyway half decent, the iphone will be going up for sale faster than it takes the SMS screen to load on it, so about 3-10 seconds then!

What else I cant stand is people treating the phone like like a new born child, its a phone, so what if it has a few scratches!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mkennedy wrote: »

Not entirely, 3G is fine for me on Vodafone but some people have problems with the network integrity on 3G. Also, if it drains your battery, and you're not browsing the web etc., why bother having it on? WiFi should only really be turned on when you're at a wifi hotspot you can use anyway, as any phone I've used with WiFi dies very quickly after turning it on.

Yes, so if you're browsing, turn 3G on. Simple stuff!
    What else I cant stand is people treating the phone like like a new born child, its a phone, so what if it has a few scratches!

Mine looks wrecked half the time, but a quick wipe with the cloth you get and it's as good as new. The things are indestructible (scratch-proofing wise)...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Firstly no point is turning off the iPhone at night, I checked last night and this morning and my iPhone used just 1% of the battery during the night!! [1]

Now in fairness I had 3G, Bluetooth and wifi turned off, I'll try again tonight with them all turned on, but really the iPhone uses little battery when not in active use, so no point in turning it off. If you don't want to be disturbed simply put it on silent or into airplane mode.

Switching on and off different settings is made incredibly quick and easy using SBSettings, brilliant app.

As for the iPhone in general, for me it is simply the greatest phone ever. It has been able to make me far more productive then I've ever been before, half the things I do on the iPhone were simply impossible on other phones.

That isn't to say that the iPhone doesn't have very annoying issues, it does. But those issues are far over shadowed by what it does well and I would not give up the iPhone for any other current phone on the market, simply because no other can do what I can do with my iPhone.

What is probably so annoying about the iPhones issues, is that the iPhone is so close to being the perfect phone and most people realise that most of the issues could easily be solved with just a software update. Things like SMS forwarding, MMS support should be very easy to add. And there is no reason why some apps like SMS should take a while to start up.

Despite all that, I still wouldn't give up my iPhone for any other current phone. Also Jailbreaking the iPhone helps to fix many of the issues with the iPhone and helps to bring it very close to the perfect phone.

I do hope and believe that Apple are working on a software update that will fix many of these issues and perhaps even really update the UI. There is no way Apple are going to leave PAlm steal their thunder.

[1] Using a Jailbreak app called MyBattery which can show your battery power as a percentage number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 3G from a Nokia E71 and i find it to be a great device. In terms of using it as a phone, the sound quality is superior on the iPhone (i didn't think this would be the case) and the switching between 2G and 3G calls doesn't drop as many calls as my E71 had a habit of doing.

All in all i find it to be a great phone as well as a great gadget. Of course not everyone will agree with this but everyone to their own. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Maybe 10 is an exaggeration but why make something hidden away when they could quite easily make it that if you slide your finger over the top left hand corner it drops down?

Iphone is all about making things easy is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Maybe 10 is an exaggeration but why make something hidden away when they could quite easily make it that if you slide your finger over the top left hand corner it drops down?

As others have said jailbreak it jailbreak it jailbreak it

this has been made very easy to do with the newest version of quickpwn and the features this simple unlock gives usually resolve all those little issues people have with the iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think the reason is that Apple aims at making it's products as easy to use for "ordinary people". Ordinary people haven't a clue what 3G, Bluetooth, Wifi etc. are and certainly don't know that turning them on and off will save power and improve call quality. So therefore Apple (and almost all other phone manufacturers) hide these sort of settings.

SBsettings (the app you describe above) makes life easy for power users like us on this forum, but that is a different demographic from "ordinary users" and Apples goal isn't to make life easy for "power users", it is to make life easy for "ordinary users".

And I don't have a problem with that, it makes business sense. However what I disagree with is that Apple blocks power user apps like SBsettings from the app store, apps which do make life easier for us power users. We should at least be given the option from official channels.

In the end, as long as Apple don't try too hard to break Jailbreak with future firmware updates, I'll be happy enough.

Advertisement