Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-Phones,while great,have many problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Rob_l wrote: »
    As others have said jailbreak it jailbreak it jailbreak it

this has been made very easy to do with the newest version of quickpwn and the features this simple unlock gives usually resolve all those little issues people have with the iphone.

Yes, but it makes any comparison ridiculous:
    You can jailbreak an iphone, you can get thousands of 'tweaks' for wm devices, thousands of apps for s60!
    That creates loads of combinations...
    So, why not stick to the out-of-the-box experience? That's what apple sell! That's what average users buy!

Average omnia buyers won't frequent xda-developers...

How many people study java to hack their k750?!

No, no... I think we should leave jailbreak and yellowsnow out of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

strecker wrote: »

I which case my iphone goes in the bin, its a steaming pile of horse crap in its unjailbroken form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Average omnia buyers won't frequent xda-developers...

How many people study java to hack their k750?!

You dont have to study java to jailbreak an iphone it is as simple as upgrading the iphone so i think your being extreme here and then the installer and cydia app mimics the app store in the basic user settings so it is easy for the average iphoen user to do these now, no study involved

I which case my iphone goes in the bin, its a steaming pile of horse crap in its unjailbroken form

That bin's getting full with my iphone and my lady's ipod touch hahaha...

You dont have to study java to jailbreak an iphone it is as simple as upgrading the iphone so i think your being extreme here and then the installer and cydia app mimics the app store in the basic user settings so it is easy for the average iphoen user to do these now, no study involved

Me extreme? You obviously have no concept whatsoever of what 'average' users/consumers do! Warranty-issue asside, I've said it before and it's backed up by numerous studies/surveys: the vast majority of phone-buyers don't know their handset make or model! They don't update firmwares - which e.g. with nokia s60's is so easy these days! They go to phoneshops to copy their sim contacts...
    You're being either deceitful, misinformed or naive when you declare unlock and jailbreak is a s.o.p. for buyers!

And why is it extreme to just compare out of the box experiences? If you come with jailbreak, I come with mobile shell, wm-overclocking, reg-tweaks, SE cam driver hacks, nokia hacks etc etc... It gets very complicated and confusing!
    Nah...lets stick to what Mr Jobs wanted to sell! Stick to what's advertised!

• Advertisement

Me extreme? You obviously have no concept whatsoever of what 'average' users/consumers do! Warranty-issue asside, I've said it before and it's backed up by numerous studies/surveys: the vast majority of phone-buyers don't know their handset make or model! They don't update firmwares - which e.g. with nokia s60's is so easy these days! They go to phoneshops to copy their sim contacts...
    You're being either deceitful, misinformed or naive when you declare unlock and jailbreak is a s.o.p. for buyers!

And why is it extreme to just compare out of the box experiences? If you come with jailbreak, I come with mobile shell, wm-overclocking, reg-tweaks, SE cam driver hacks, nokia hacks etc etc... It gets very complicated and confusing!
    Nah...lets stick to what Mr Jobs wanted to sell! Stick to what's advertised!

its extreme because your comparing learning and coding in java to clicking an installer icon then following the very simple onscreen prompts.

No let us not compare the out of box experience because if I had stuck with what steve jobs gave me out the box I would have an iphone running software version 1.1 so upgrading is an essential point to all iphone users to even get the steve jobs experience and now thanks to iphone dev team to jailbreak the iphone is almost as easy as runnign that standard iphone upgrade that mr jobs expects us all to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 3G from a Nokia E71 and i find it to be a great device....
    All in all i find it to be a great phone as well as a great gadget. Of course not everyone will agree with this but everyone to their own. :cool:

Upgraded? Nah, definitely not what I'd consider an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

jdscrubs wrote: »
    No flash on the camera. Again any phone I ever had had a flash on the camera which the I-Phone doesnt meaning any pictures taken at nighttime are to dark.

To be fair, the camera on the iphone is pretty good for what it is. I recently compared it yo my nokia e51 and my bro's blackberry storm.

The only phone with any bit of a useful flash I have used was the one in the k800i and that wasn't the best one tbh.

For a bog standard 2MP camera, the iphone's one aint bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

I jailbroke my very first iphone 2G and i found it very unstable leading to crashes in safari among other things and a massive drain on the phones battery life.

Is this still the case a year later?

And is it really necessary to jailbreak it when this bossprefs thing will probably eventually end up in the app store anyway before long.

Personally since i got my 3g i have only really needed to send an MMS message once so i don't care about that.

Copy and paste would be sweet but thats not even available for the jailbroken version.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Appleguy wrote: »
    I jailbroke my very first iphone 2G and i found it very unstable leading to crashes in safari among other things and a massive drain on the phones battery life.

Is this still the case a year later?

No, at least not of 3G iPhones, very stable now.
    Appleguy wrote: »
    And is it really necessary to jailbreak it when this bossprefs thing will probably eventually end up in the app store anyway before long.

Most of the apps that are only on jailbreak, have been submitted to the app store and were rejected by Apple for one reason or another.

Now Apple seem to be relaxing their app store criteria, so this might change, but no one knows but Apple knows for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Didn't realise that the iPhone cannot receive MMS messages and also the SMS program is pretty crap as well, you cannot forward messages or send to many recipients at the same time. I know you can download iSMS as a replacement, but this shouldn't be the case. One of the most basic requirements of any phone now is that it have MMS and a good messaging setup. I have my phone for under a week and I have to say I am disappointed.

CyberDave wrote: »
    Didn't realise that the iPhone cannot receive MMS messages and also the SMS program is pretty crap as well, you cannot forward messages or send to many recipients at the same time. I know you can download iSMS as a replacement, but this shouldn't be the case. One of the most basic requirements of any phone now is that it have MMS and a good messaging setup. I have my phone for under a week and I have to say I am disappointed.

I quite like the conversation method of the iphones sms
    as for mms the only time i ever recieved them was as advertisements from whichever provider i was with.

Not being able to send contacts via sms would be a concern for me rather than forwarding messages or mms which i always thought were low quality crap anyway.

i think o2 looked at doing something with being able to check mms online through the o2 site but in the end decided not to include it as part of their last webtext upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

I quite like the conversation method of the iphones sms
    as for mms the only time i ever recieved them was as advertisements from whichever provider i was with.

Not being able to send contacts via sms would be a concern for me rather than forwarding messages or mms which i always thought were low quality crap anyway.

i think o2 looked at doing something with being able to check mms online through the o2 site but in the end decided not to include it as part of their last webtext upgrade

It's all very well saying you don't use the features, but in a phone this expensive it really should have the functions like these that are taken for granted in less expensive phones. Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that the bluetooth is can only be used for Bluetooth headphones. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

gotta say I love mine. I thought i'd be bored with it after a couple of weeks, but tbh, i dont see myself going back to a normal phone.
    The only small thing that sometimes gets me is the option of not being able to send/receive picture messages...or foward text messages.
    It's not like I do this all the time, but from time to time its handy to be able to do!

battery for me is just as good as my previous Nokia tbh, and i do a lot more with the iPhone. I got to 10% battery remaining once and it did me on standby for nearly 2 days as I forgot my charger!

iPhone ftw :P

It's all very well saying you don't use the features, but in a phone this expensive it really should have the functions like these that are taken for granted in less expensive phones.
    mine cost €49...thats not expensive tbh

It's all very well saying you don't use the features, but in a phone this expensive it really should have the functions like these that are taken for granted in less expensive phones.

Well dave i could say if you use these features and they are nessecary you would know not all phones do them so you should ensure any device you buy dioes have it and I think it is quite well documented at this stage that the iphone doesn't do MMS Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Not so. You will pay €1849 in total to have that phone. Its an 18 month contract at €100 a month. Total cost for my E71 including my calls/text and data works out at €820 for 18 months.
    Einstein wrote: »
    mine cost €49...thats not expensive tbh

elderlemon wrote: »
    Not so. You will pay €1849 in total to have that phone. Its an 18 month contract at €100 a month. Total cost for my E71 including my calls/text and data works out at €820 for 18 months.
    or u can pay €45 per month which works out at €810 for 18 months.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Find+out+more/

Its by no means any more expensive than any other phone/tarriff combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

yes and the phone jumps from 49 to 169.
    Einstein wrote: »
    or u can pay €45 per month which works out at €810 for 18 months.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Find+out+more/

Its by no means any more expensive than any other phone/tarriff combination.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I cant see how people like waiting for something as simple as the SMS screen to load
    the iphone will be going up for sale faster than it takes the SMS screen to load on it, so about 3-10 seconds then!

You over-exaggerate here, I've timed it on 4 different iPhones and it never takes longer then 3 seconds.

However I had a hunch that it is actually faster to send a text with the iPhone then with most other phones, so I tried it out last night.

My housemate has a Nokia E71, the challenge was that we would both unlock (no pin) our phone and send a text with just one character. The surprising thing is that even with the 3 second delay on the iPhone, it took my buddy twice as long to send a text as it did for me on the iPhone!!!

He then remembered that there was a second way to send texts on the E71 via shortcuts and that reduced his time to about the same as the iPhone, but never faster.

We also tried an old K750i and it again took twice as long as the iPhone.

The reason it took longer on these phones, is because there were more buttons to press and more menus to navigate to send the text.

This is very interesting to me as a Software Engineer with an interest in UI design as it indicates that people (myself included) think that the iPhone was slow at sending texts is purely down to psychology and perception, rather then reality. It would seem that we think the iPhone is slower because we are doing nothing for those 3 seconds, just staring at the white screen waiting for it to load, while on other phones we think it is faster, because we are busy navigating complicated menus, while in fact it takes just as long or longer then the iPhone to carry out the same task!!

There is an important lesson to be learned there by UI designers about the importance of perception versus reality. A very simplified and user friendly UI needs to be coupled with a very fast and responsive UI, otherwise people will "think" it is slow, even if it isn't compared to the competition.

Non of this is to excuse this bug, which Apple should absolutely fix, but I just find it very interesting from a professional level.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    You over-exaggerate here, I've timed it on 4 different iPhones and it never takes longer then 3 seconds.

However I had a hunch that it is actually faster to send a text with the iPhone then with most other phones, so I tried it out last night.

My housemate has a Nokia E71, the challenge was that we would both unlock (no pin) our phone and send a text with just one character. The surprising thing is that even with the 3 second delay on the iPhone, it took my buddy twice as long to send a text as it did for me on the iPhone!!!

He then remembered that there was a second way to send texts on the E71 via shortcuts and that reduced his time to about the same as the iPhone, but never faster.

We also tried an old K750i and it again took twice as long as the iPhone.

The reason it took longer on these phones, is because there were more buttons to press and more menus to navigate to send the text.

This is very interesting to me as a Software Engineer with an interest in UI design as it indicates that people (myself included) think that the iPhone was slow at sending texts is purely down to psychology and perception, rather then reality. It would seem that we think the iPhone is slower because we are doing nothing for those 3 seconds, just staring at the white screen waiting for it to load, while on other phones we think it is faster, because we are busy navigating complicated menus, while in fact it takes just as long or longer then the iPhone to carry out the same task!!

There is an important lesson to be learned there by UI designers about the importance of perception versus reality. A very simplified and user friendly UI needs to be coupled with a very fast and responsive UI, otherwise people will "think" it is slow, even if it isn't compared to the competition.

Non of this is to excuse this bug, which Apple should absolutely fix, but I just find it very interesting from a professional level.

Interesting points there...
    And of course you realise that apple is tapping into that psycho-effect with all those animated transitional effects that give you the impression of action while all it's doing is load the app... Smart feature! It's why a lot of people reject otherwise perfectly pleasing s60 themes when loading bars, download bars are 'alive' enough.

Interesting points there...
    And of course you realise that apple is tapping into that psycho-effect with all those animated transitional effects that give you the impression of action while all it's doing is load the app... Smart feature! It's why a lot of people reject otherwise perfectly pleasing s60 themes when loading bars, download bars are 'alive' enough.

Yes, absolutely and another interesting one is that previously people thought that the contacts app was slow to load, but then Apple "fixed" it in one of it's software updates and most people thought it was great and "fixed".

What Apple actually did to "fix" it was when you close the contacts app, it takes a screenshot of the contacts app, then the next time you open the contacts app, it displays the previous screen shot straight away, so it looks like it has loaded quickly, when in fact the app is actually loading in the background, it takes just as long to load as it did in the past and you have to wait for it to fully load before you can actually do anything with the contacts app.

But amazingly it fooled most people, who now think the contacts app is fast too load!!

Having said that the contacts app on the iPhone is much better then contacts apps in most other phones and despite the delay in loading, I find it quicker and easier to use then the contacts app in other (e.g. s60) phones.

However watching the demos of the pre, and assuming the finished product works out the same as the demos, it looks like Apple will have to properly fix the load times of all it's apps to continue to be competitive.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely and another interesting one is that previously people thought that the contacts app was slow to load, but then Apple "fixed" it in one of it's software updates and most people thought it was great and "fixed".

What Apple actually did to "fix" it was when you close the contacts app, it takes a screenshot of the contacts app, then the next time you open the contacts app, it displays the previous screen shot straight away, so it looks like it has loaded quickly, when in fact the app is actually loading in the background, it takes just as long to load as it did in the past and you have to wait for it to fully load before you can actually do anything with the contacts app.

But amazingly it fooled most people, who now think the contacts app is fast too load!!

Having said that the contacts app on the iPhone is much better then contacts apps in most other phones and despite the delay in loading, I find it quicker and easier to use then the contacts app in other (e.g. s60) phones.

However watching the demos of the pre, and assuming the finished product works out the same as the demos, it looks like Apple will have to properly fix the load times of all it's apps to continue to be competitive.

Indeed...
    I saw the specs for the Pre processor and it seems to be quite sth!!! Makes me wonder about the battery time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

Ok sorry to go off topic a bit but...

Am i right in saying it is possible to buy an Iphone in the States and unlock it handy enough for it to work on my Prepay o2 SIM?

Beans_On wrote: »
    Am i right in saying it is possible to buy an Iphone in the States and unlock it handy enough for it to work on my Prepay o2 SIM?

No, not any more, when you buy an iPhone in the US, you also have to sign up for an expensive contract. You can still unlock it, but you would have to continue to pay the contract and the phone would probably only be sold to people with a US address and credit card.

Your best bet is to buy a pay as you go iPhone up in Northern Ireland (or here in Ireland but it is more then €100 more expensive here) and then you can unlock it and use it with any sim card.

Ok sorry to go off topic a bit but...

Its handy to unlock its the buying it that you might struggle with

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

Its handy to unlock its the buying it that you might struggle with

ah i see , cheers lads.

Is it that the same with most phones over there?

ah i see , cheers lads.

Is it that the same with most phones over there?

no you can buy a prepay one here and in the uk and most eu countried that stock the iphone but as far as i am aware in the usa they only sell contract phones which is why you will struggle to get one and to unlock you will have to jailbreak and that will technically void your warranty.

buyer beware and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

you will have to jailbreak and that will technically void your warranty.

buyer beware and all

Dont worry about Jailbreaking it, imagine if you got a PC from Dell and they turned around and said

"well yes the PC is yours, you paid good hard earned cash for it, but you can never ever ever ever put Ubuntu on it, if you do will will void your warranty! Also, you will never be able to put any software on it that we do not first approve"

I can see Dell selling no PC's.

So jailbreak away! You can always reset the jebus phone, if something does go wrong, to stock apple firmware.

People need to remember (as do Apple) that Apple started out as an upstart and that Steve Wozniak is one of the biggest advocates of Jailbreaking.

If it was not for jailbreaking, apple would sit on the iphone and do nothing to improve it, its people with jail broke phones that make other people want these apps, and force Apples hand to let them through/develop them.....

In any case, I really dont think apple mind the jailbreaking too much, it seems its the Apple fanboys that bring it up all the time.

• Advertisement

Dont worry about Jailbreaking it.

I have no worries at all about it but I do feel that when advising people to buy them it is wise to give them the facts thats why I said technically it voids the warranty, for all but the worst cases it can be restored and then sent back and if it does completly crash then how the hell do they know whats on it.

I also am unsure if apple even try and repair iphones from what i hear they simply send out a replacment

Advertisement