Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile broadband?

• 16-01-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Had a look at three's mobile broadband for 19.99 a month. They claim speeds up to 3.6mb/s

Any comments or other suggestions?

I wouldn't be a major downloader. Just a few songs and surfing on boards, facebook etc.

Thanks,

k.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

kraggy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Had a look at three's mobile broadband for 19.99 a month. They claim speeds up to 3.6mb/s

Any comments or other suggestions?

I wouldn't be a major downloader. Just a few songs and surfing on boards, facebook etc.

Thanks,

k.

I use 3, they are ok but nothing to write home about. After 11-11.30 in the evening I can download at up to 3Mb but day and evening use is about0.5Mb. If you dont download much then they will be fine.
    I used Vodafone before 3, I signed an 18 month contract with them but the service was terrible. After 3-4 months of nothing but GPRS and a lot of excuses about the CELL being down I got an e-mail from customer services telling me 3G was not available in my area (a complete lie) and I cancelled the service. 3 months later Vodafone were still withdrawing money from my bank account , I got the bank to stop the payments and they got a debt collector after me so now Ive a solicitor on the case. They have dropped the claim that I owe them almost €400 and told my solicitor to forget about it. Im taking them to court to try and recover the money I paid for a 3G service I never recieved.
    Ive never used O2 for the internet so I cant make comments on them. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

I have 3 as well and its good if your not downloading much... if its just for browsing should be fine :) Ive never had any problems with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks guys. I'll have a think about it so. Maybe try it out with someone who has it already.

Thanks for the info.

K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

you have two weeks to take it back so you can give it a try. I have it and it works pretty good I don't do any downloading just regular surfing and its grand. You will be doing well to get 3.6mb but you can probably expect 1-2.5ish as long as you aren't in a bad area. They have a new modem out in a few weeks though so that might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

I am using 3g and ots speed is terriblly slow arond10-15kbps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have 3 no complaints really................sometimes though it can piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have 02, no major complaints.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

i have 3 also, but if you are gonna be downloading a lot you may forget about it, it is useless,as the others said for browsing its fine,but if you are a serial downloader its a no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

As others have mentioned, check you can take it back in e.g. < 2 weeks, and give them all a try. Of course, if you can find someone who already has it to come and try it at your location, maybe a hint upfront, but they do seem to be pretty variable, so getting your 2 weeks worth of testing is worthwhile.

We've used O2 and Vodafone, but not 3, so I can't comment on the latter; one thing that's not clear from any literature I've seen is that if you're in good 3G coverage, they may be much the same, but if you're borderline, O2 can be much better - Voda does HSDPA/3G and GPRS, but O2 can fall back from 3G to EDGE, which is considerably better than GPRS. Voda have no EDGE network.

When we tried O2, it was abysmal at home, but pretty good when we were out. Switched to Voda which seemed a marginal improvement, but then moved house, and here it's been worse again. The problems are more connection stability and packet loss than throughput. Changing siting seems to have some effect - sometimes. I'm thinking of putting the dongle in an enclosure on the roof with a USB extender.

Advertisement