Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generators?

Options
  • 16-01-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I don't know anything about generators (not sure about the spelling).

I'd need to get a generator for home use.

Whats the story with them. When the power goes out do you need to set the generator up. Or can it be set up so that when the power does go out there is a supply of power going to the house.

Need to know for something important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well you covered the options,

you can get a manual system (i.e you flick the switch), or have an automatic changeover panel fitted. there will be a down time while the generator starts up and takes the load.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

You need to install a changeover switch in your house for it so it doesn't back feed into the electricity supply & kill a worker working on a line when the supply is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bertie1 wrote: »
    You need to install a changeover switch in your house for it so it doesn't back feed into the electricity supply & kill a worker working on a line when the supply is down.

This Link covers most of the info you need, and the most likely of your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

You'll need a changeover switch but also consider that even the biggest domestic generator will not carry your full house load. You'll have to work out the circuits you require ie lighting, heating etc. and disconnect the others like cookers and showers. I've been called out to a house where the husband connected up the geny only for the wife to put on the electric kettle and darkness returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

also consider that even the biggest domestic generator will not carry your full house load
    Only if the generator is too small for the load of the entire house. It is possible to buy a single phase generator that can supply 100% of the load of the house.
    You'll have to work out the circuits you require ie lighting, heating etc. and disconnect the others like cookers and showers
    This is not required. It would be easier to put a fuse or MCB on the generator supply so that if the maximum load of the generator is exceeded the protective device will operate.

What is described is known as "load shedding" and is often used on commercial installations. Although it would work in a domestic situation it will drive up the cost of the job by a large margin.

I installed a 10kV electric start (not auto start) generator a few years ago. This cost in the region of €1500 to buy as far as I recall. It would supply most of the needs of the house in the event of power failure. It ccame with suitable MCBs installed on a panel at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Not many houses would required a 10kV supply, I suspect you meant 10kW :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Not many houses would required a 10kV supply
    Fair point!!! Sorry typo.
    I suspect you meant 10kW
    No, I mean 10kVA. Generators are never rated in kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

fishdog wrote: »
    Fair point!!! Sorry typo.

No, I mean 10kVA. Generators are never rated in kW.

kVA = kW for a purely resistive load, but you're right. For inductive loads without power factor correction kVA will be higher than the kW, hence manufacturers use the kVA rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

After the mother of all winters would like to have some kind of back up going forward, interested in a manual system.

As it would be used seldom if ever, says he hopefully:D how do the push button ones work. I assume there is a battery that needs to be charged and inserted first.

Do they all use unleaded petrol.

In terms of using a couple of 2kw heaters/kettle/cooking plates etc what minimum rating would be required.

Aldi were selling something last year for under €500 if I remember right, but not sure of the specks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Advertisement
Advertisement