Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hatchback

Options
  • 16-01-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a mid range hatchback car. I am thinking of either Ford Focus, Totoyta, Auris or Honda Civic. My budget is 20k and am looking for car with low road tax and economical

I did want at the Mitsubishi Lancer - its a great car but i did not like the plastic interior so now i am back looking again. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Go for a Focus 1.6 TDCI and you'll get a great car: fun to drive, economical, roomy and very reliable.

Don't need to spend 20K to get it either - a two year old would go for €12K-€15K at a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Go for a Focus 1.6 TDCI and you'll get a great car: fun to drive, economical, roomy and very reliable.

Don't need to spend 20K to get it either - a two year old would go for €12K-€15K at a dealer.
    You can get an 08 in UK from 6995 to 7995, low vrt, you'd have in in for 12k'ish. Also being 08 qualifies for low road tax based on co2 which is 126gms i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote: »

How does spending over 20k on a Bravo make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

had the same conundrum 2 years ago and plumped for the Focus 1.6 petrol. If you don't want the diesel, then the 1.4 petrol isn't adequate.
    The Focus has the most interior and boot space of any of the ones you listed, including the A3, which you correctly didn't.

It also has an excellent interior, great quality soft-feel plastics, and the buttons have a clunky feel.
    Get a zetec (with the connection pack if you can find one). its the best value spec. the Lx is useless in resale, and the ghia isn't worth the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How does spending over 20k on a Bravo make sense?

Buying a new car never does, it's just one option. On the other hand I'd have no problem (if I was looking to spend €27k on a new car) buying the Bravo 1.9 150 Sport with a few options ticked in lieu of a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

New Impreza 150bhp 2.0TD suit?

Prices start at 21000e and im sure you could get that down a bit with a few extra's thown in.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/02/ireland-gets-subaru-impreza-diesel/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The bravo is well worth a look. Fantastic car.

as an ex focus driver... They are a great car, but boring, and interior is crap and basic although some of the plastics are okay - thats just not good enough these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

if you actually like driving avoid the auris anyway. Apparently they are not all that reliable either compared to the old corolla. A 1.6 diesel focus would be a good choice. If you are buying straight cash you would rate yourse a packet going to the uk. You can find all the information you need here too by doing a quick search

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

mohenley wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a mid range hatchback car. I am thinking of either Ford Focus, Totoyta, Auris or Honda Civic. My budget is 20k and am looking for car with low road tax and economical

I did want at the Mitsubishi Lancer - its a great car but i did not like the plastic interior so now i am back looking again. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

I have a focus and i love it its an 03 model so my tax is fairly high, but the newer ones are more econmical and i would def recommend one. I had punto before it really was a fix it again tomorrow car cost me a fortune, I have my focus over 2 years now and have never had problem with it. Its a lovely smooth comfy car, loads of room and nice power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

IMO with the Bravo you get much more car for your money. Plus Fiats old rep for reliability issues is long past...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just listening to a radio add for Fiat as well. They're offering -1% finance, pay less than you borrow. I'm sure they well have it added on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Thanks All. I think I will look for a Focus. I saw a diesel one on website from John hayes Car Sales in Rathmines for a decent price. Anyone know if this dealer is reputable?

Advertisement